This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 03:56:26 pm    Post subject:

I read in the paper today that skeptics of the original moon landing are now saying that the landing of NASA's new rover, "Spirit," is also a fake. Apparently the Mars landscape looks like the Arizona desert, and some simple modifications on PhotoShop could produce the footage NASA claims to be the Mars landscape. Many are even upset that they didn't do a better job with the fake. What do you guys think? Btw I voted the top one.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jan 2004 03:57:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 04:00:15 pm    Post subject:

2nd to top. If they really wanted to they could fake it, but there's no real reason for them to do it (or if there is we know nothing about it).
yugniht

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 04:02:41 pm    Post subject:

I say give me a break. I'm not suprised it's the same people. Face it, we landed on mars, and took actual photographs. This conspiricy shit has grown old. I saw a show on the discovery channel that disproved all the claims that conspiricy theorists said about JFK. This sounds like something just to make headlines and sell papers.

"wow, it LOOKS like the arizona desert, after all, nothing resemble anything else, it must be a fake! Conspiracy! <points finger>" =/
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 04:06:41 pm    Post subject:

Well, there have always been people wanting to prove space travel a fake since 1957. There are even people who say that nothing was ever actually sent up in space, that it is all made up by the government whose only goal is to waste billions of dollars making fake shuttles and pretending to launch them.
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 04:47:46 pm    Post subject:

I think it's a conspiracy. the rover landed to kidnap aliens and use them to create a death ray.
Alan

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 06:03:41 pm    Post subject:

Anyone who thinks that shuttles have not been sent into space is a loon. How would we have astronaughts for ham radios to talk to? How would communication be possible across the world?
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 06:47:44 pm    Post subject:

Throughout the experience of my life I have learned that All good things come with opposition. With that knowledge I am now inclined to believe they must have really landed on Mars. But beside the point of that, who really cares. We should be more focused on solving our small problems (hunger, hate, etc.) before we try time travel, extended exploration and such in space.

--AlienCC
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 12:52:03 am    Post subject:

Why do you even care AlienCC? Is it because you used to live on Mars? Anyway, it's a conspiracy.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 02:43:28 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Why do you even care AlienCC? Is it because you used to live on Mars? Anyway, it's a conspiracy.

Men will be the cause of their own destruction,
Failure to resolve the simple problems results in bigger problems which results in war, death and destruction. History has a tendancy of repeating itself in these manors, time and time again.

Why do I care? I think the better question is why does everyone else not care? Especially when the resolve is so simple, yet because they don't care history keeps repeating itself. Maybe its time more people start to care.

Yeah, its just as much a conspiracy as landing on the moon. Just as much as the NSA monitoring all phonecalls made in the US, and flagging ones containing key words for review. Just as much the grocery stores tracking what you buy to your card. Just as much as any Corporation selling your personal information to other Corporations without your knowledge. Just as much as the RIAA trying to sue kids for downloading music. Just as much as the existence of nuclear weapons.

Got any more jokes?

--AlienCC

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jan 2004 02:52:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 11:31:34 am    Post subject:

"Probably, why would they fake it?" and "Who cares?" but I only voted the first.

Besides, everybody knows we only got the technology to travel in space from the monkeys:
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 12:44:46 pm    Post subject:

HHmm... i dont think that the mars landing was fake ... because there was no reason to fake it ... i mean there was no 'race' this time ... ?

As far as the looner one goes ... well i dont know. It isnt a matter of us not having the technology ... but the fact that the US wanted to beat Russia SO BAD!!!!

Meh ... who cares anyway Smile.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 03:38:41 pm    Post subject:

I am sure it was real; I saw a TV show on all that went into building it.

Millions were spent figuring out how to fold it, how to make the pyros work, making the parachute work in low air pressure, figuring out how the rocket will slow its decent, figureing out how the airbags work...

What I do not understand is why they landed it on the 2nd and yestederday just got around to driving it off the pad. Also, how does it contact earth. I mean to broadcast a signal from mars to earth would take extrordinary amounts of power. Do we have a satellite in Mars' orbit? i cannot imagine broadcasting directly.

Mars is closer to the sun, so the solar pannels probably work a little bit better than they do on earth, but still, it would take many thousands of watts of power. To make that, they would probably have to charge batteries when they got there.

I don't know how long the lander was in space, but I am certian it lost a lot of battery power through self discharge before it got there.

Supposenly, NASA only has an attempt to send something to Mars every 2 years do to the orbit of Earth and Mars being closer or something.

They were in such a rush, they did not even write much of the computer software to land it and make the rover work! While it was on its way to Mars, NASA programmers had to finish the software and debug it on Earth, then they had to trasnmitt the landing software and rover control software too.

Obviouly, they are better than Microsoft because the landing software worked perfectly!
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 04:20:27 pm    Post subject:

Well, first they had to make sure it was all working properly and move part of the big balloon thing out of the way, and then they had to chect that the lighting was correct in thier big plot of land in the Arizona Desert, and then they had to get rid of all those communist spy satalites that would take pictures and let people know that spaceflight is impossible. Although how they got those communist satalites up there is beyond me... Very Happy

Ok, so the second comma to the smilie is a joke, but the rest of this isn't.
b__

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 04:55:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If they really wanted to they could fake it, but there's no real reason for them to do it (or if there is we know nothing about it).

I agree.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 05:42:50 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Besides, everybody knows we only got the technology to travel in space from the monkeys
(excuse me for not reposting the cute monkey image)

Well, there's not that much separating us from monkeys anyway...

Quote:
As far as the looner one goes ... well i dont know. It isnt a matter of us not having the technology ... but the fact that the US wanted to beat Russia SO BAD!!!!

1. USSR
2. By the time they cared about it it was already too late Smile we got into space first hahaha.

Quote:
What I do not understand is why they landed it on the 2nd and yestederday just got around to driving it off the pad.

Maybe the shuttle had to cool down?
Quote:
Although how they got those communist satalites up there is beyond me...

They/we launched them in exactly the same way as in 1957.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 07:24:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
What I do not understand is why they landed it on the 2nd and yestederday just got around to driving it off the pad.

According to NASA, it was "unfolding."

Quote:
Do we have a satellite in Mars' orbit?

Yes, I'm pretty sure we do.

Quote:
Mars is closer to the sun,

Err actually its not.

Quote:
Obviouly, they are better than Microsoft because the landing software worked perfectly!

Very true.

Quote:
we got into space first hahaha.

We skim over that in history class, then spend a few days studying the true heros involved in the moon landing. Just goes to show how one-sided our classes are.
shadowing