This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Project Ideas/Start New Projects => Your Projects
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 12:25:52 am    Post subject:

I feel like I'm the only one who posts in this forum, I've started 3 of the 4 topics...

Anyway...how about making a clone of that parachute game on iPods? If you've never played it, basicly theres a gun tower on the bottom (center) of the screen with a rotating turret that turns 180 degrees. Helicopters appear randomly from the right or left side of the screen. Sometimes parachuters will randomly jump out. You get 2 points for shooting a jumper or a helicopter, but lose 1 point for every shot. Also, when you shoot a helicopter, 5 or 6 fragments fly in the general direction it was flying. If the fragments take down another chopper or parachuter, you get 2 points for each. If you shoot the parachute itself, the jumper falls to the ground and you get 2 points. If a jumper makes it to the ground safely, the only way you can kill him is by shooting another jumper's parachute and making him fall on top of the one on the ground. Once there's a few on the ground (actually I'm not sure what causes this) the guys on the ground throw a bomb and you blow up and die.

More details: there are 3 levels of helicopters. They can be all the way at the top, just below that, or just below that. You also die if one of the parachuters lands on you. If a jumper safely (with his parachute) lands on top of another guy, he stacks on top of him (and you can shoot him).

I think that's about it. This would be a sweet game for calc, but would have to be ASM. I really hope someone makes it. If you want I can get screenshots of the game and even draw the sprites.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 05:31:10 am    Post subject:

Jedd wrote:
I feel like I'm the only one who posts in this forum, I've started 3 of the 4 topics...

Hardly, check my postcount.

Quote:
Anyway...how about making a clone of that parachute game on iPods?  If you've never played it, basicly theres a gun tower on the bottom (center) of the screen with a rotating turret that turns 180 degrees.  Helicopters appear randomly from the right or left side of the screen.  Sometimes parachuters will randomly jump out.  You get 2 points for shooting a jumper or a helicopter, but lose 1 point for every shot.  Also, when you shoot a helicopter, 5 or 6 fragments fly in the general direction it was flying.  If the fragments take down another chopper or parachuter, you get 2 points for each.  If you shoot the parachute itself, the jumper falls to the ground and you get 2 points.  If a jumper makes it to the ground safely, the only way you can kill him is by shooting another jumper's parachute and making him fall on top of the one on the ground.  Once there's a few on the ground (actually I'm not sure what causes this) the guys on the ground throw a bomb and you blow up and die. 

More details: there are 3 levels of helicopters.  They can be all the way at the top, just below that, or just below that.  You also die if one of the parachuters lands on you.  If a jumper safely (with his parachute) lands on top of another guy, he stacks on top of him (and you can shoot him). 

I think that's about it.  This would be a sweet game for calc, but would have to be ASM.  I really hope someone makes it.  If you want I can get screenshots of the game and even draw the sprites.
Sounds good, I could even make a c++/win32 version of it someday.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 04:03:36 pm    Post subject:

How would you quickly rotate the gun turret?
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 04:38:27 pm    Post subject:

I would assume use right and left for the turret, then use 2nd to shoot. But do you mean in the programming? Because if so I don't know. You would have to use trig functions. There's a tutorial for using trig funtions to rotate things here:

http://bgo.netfirms.com/tutorials/submitted/tutorial7.html

but unfortunately it's all for BASIC coding. By the way if there are any newbies looking for some good tutorials, or any decent coders that want to learn some more advanced tecniques, click on "Tutorials" at the top of the page. There's a bunch of good stuff that can help you with games and optomized code.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 04:39:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Hardly, check my postcount

I meant in this section (Project ideas). But you're right, you have more posts than just about anyone on this site.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 04:39:42 pm    Post subject:

I mean that it would probably be either very slow or it would allow only a few angles.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 04:42:01 pm    Post subject:

I'm talking ASM here. That's nearly impossible for BASIC.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 11 Jan 2004 06:24:10 pm    Post subject:

Well it never hurts to try. Here's the BASIC idea (mwahaha I love puns):

Code:
0?Xmin
94?Xmax
-62?Ymin
0?Ymax
Degree
23?dim(L1
L1?L2
For(A,0,180,8
7cos(A)+47?L1(A/8+1)
7sin(A)-52?L2(A/8+1)
End
ClrDraw
For(A,-62,-52
Line(40,A,54,A
End
12?T
Repeat 0
T+(Ans=24)-(Ans=26)?T
T+(T=0)-(T=24)?T
Text(-1,44,40,"    "        //4 spaces
Line(47,-52,L1(T),L2(T)
Repeat Ans
getKey
End
End

I had to change negative signs and list numbers to get this to work. For some reason it doesnt recognize some symbols when I post code. I think all the question marks (?) are store (->) signs. Btw this isn't a game, just something I typed up real quick to show you how to rotate something.

Edit: I revised the above code to make it look a lot like the one on the iPod. Does anyone know a way I can upload it? It's annoying having to replace all the ?'s in the code.

Hopefully this is helping some people better understand how to use trig functions. Btw I might end up making the game in BASIC, just without the parachuters (only choppers).

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jan 2004 10:42:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 05:07:33 pm    Post subject:

Jedd wrote:
Edit:  I revised the above code to make it look a lot like the one on the iPod.  Does anyone know a way I can upload it?  It's annoying having to replace all the ?'s in the code.

Um, even notepad has the Replace All option.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 06:36:16 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Anyway...how about making a clone of that parachute game on iPods? If you've never played it, basicly theres a gun tower on the bottom (center) of the screen with a rotating turret that turns 180 degrees. Helicopters appear randomly from the right or left side of the screen. Sometimes parachuters will randomly jump out. You get 2 points for shooting a jumper or a helicopter, but lose 1 point for every shot. Also, when you shoot a helicopter, 5 or 6 fragments fly in the general direction it was flying. If the fragments take down another chopper or parachuter, you get 2 points for each. If you shoot the parachute itself, the jumper falls to the ground and you get 2 points. If a jumper makes it to the ground safely, the only way you can kill him is by shooting another jumper's parachute and making him fall on top of the one on the ground. Once there's a few on the ground (actually I'm not sure what causes this) the guys on the ground throw a bomb and you blow up and die.

Whoa! I can't believe it! I thought of probably making a TI-82 version of this game a short while ago. I haven't done too much planning on this game yet, but I think the toughest part would be the # of shooting angles problem.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 12 Jan 2004 08:57:36 pm    Post subject:

Do you mean the angle of the objects that have been shot? Because I wrote another version where you can shoot, and it's not all that complicated. Or did you mean keeping track of the coordinates of all the shots? That seems like it would be a huge problem. I just tested it on my ipod, and it seems like you can get about 10 shots off at once. For the TI version, you could set the max at 5 or so, and add a little feature that says it's "re-loading." That seems to be how most games are now.
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 13 Jan 2004 12:56:57 pm    Post subject:

Wow, this is an old game. I have a shareware version done in mode 13h.
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 14 Jan 2004 05:07:22 pm    Post subject:

Jedd wrote:
Edit:  I revised the above code to make it look a lot like the one on the iPod.  Does anyone know a way I can upload it?  It's annoying having to replace all the ?'s in the code.

Well you can try out my Qbasic program I wrote quite a while ago. Right now it can only open a text file and save to a new one, but if anyone actually has a need I'll try to make it possible to paste code and then copy the converted version.

Topic

Spyderbyte
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement