This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
CoBB

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 08:23:03 am    Post subject:

I said: xoring the message with random noise is impossible to decipher. It's not just hard, it's simply impossible. The noise is the key that the other party needs to have. If you find a way to transmit the key, then no-one else can read your messages. Transmitting the key shouldn't be too hard, e. g. you can go to a library and register a free e-mail account as a placeholder. So does your friend, and there you go. It might be a bit more inconvenient than using RSA because of the fuss with other computers, but it's absolutely unbreakable.
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 02:03:52 pm    Post subject:

CoBB wrote:
I said: xoring the message with random noise is impossible to decipher. It's not just hard, it's simply impossible. The noise is the key that the other party needs to have. If you find a way to transmit the key, then no-one else can read your messages. Transmitting the key shouldn't be too hard, e. g. you can go to a library and register a free e-mail account as a placeholder. So does your friend, and there you go. It might be a bit more inconvenient than using RSA because of the fuss with other computers, but it's absolutely unbreakable.

There is nothing that is impossible to decipher, no encryption that is absolutely unbreakable, and no computer generated anything that is purely random. If you can open a lock with a key, there is always another way to open that lock without that key.

Believe me, I know, and we aren't going into that.

--AlienCC
EnderWiggin

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 02:21:32 pm    Post subject:

The lava lamp random number thing...

I saw that, it was in a wired I think. I may have it, the issue is August 2003, the one about the super power main story. But wouldn't the lava lamp be predictable by starting from a point having equations and stuff for the movement of fluids at different temperatures. That won't be figured out for a while though probably.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 02:33:02 pm    Post subject:

Lava lamps:

The wax heats and becomes less dense than the water so it can break free and move to the top of the lamp.
Wax at the top cools down and then becomes too dense to float so it sinks back down to the bottome.
Put these two together, and you have a spectacle of gooey lava squirming around in a glass lamp.

It is possible to simulate, but there would be so many variables it would be nearly impossible to simulate a lamp correctly. Especially on a calc. However I'm not sure how this topic came up so I dont know if thats even what you wanted to know.

Still interesting, though.
CoBB

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 03:25:58 pm    Post subject:

Geez, getting a random key is the easiest part. I could do it right now, all I need to do is turn on my microphone and record some noise at 16 bits. Then I would choose the lower byte of each sample, and it's guaranteed to be impossible to reproduce (even by me) later. You don't need a lava lamp for that... If you don't have the key, how could you decipher the message? Let me give you an example:

The message is the number 42. The algorithm is very simple: we have another integer, the key, and the encoder does nothing more than adding the two numbers. E. g. the key is 19, therefore the encoded data is 61. Even if you know the algorithm (i. e. that there's a number you have to subtract), you can't decode the encrypted data without knowing the key, can you? All you know is the equation x+y=61. You can't determine x without knowing y, it's impossible.
JeePee

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 03:30:42 pm    Post subject:

I'm probably one of the very few who go to middle school. It's the least famest school, maybe because it's in Belgium, but if you don't want to live anymore, if you want to die in peace, my school is THE place to be! Razz
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 22 Jan 2004 05:34:38 pm    Post subject:

Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
I'm sure there are multi-linguist versions.  (That the right word for it?)

Russian isn't exactly an important world language anymore, or a language commonly used by terrorists in the US.
shadowing