This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
JoeImp
Enlightened

Posted: 08 Jan 2004 03:37:00 pm    Post subject:

Has anybody ever heard of this? It was supposedly a game that was put into some places in oregon, and after kids played them, they had nightmares, amnesia, and like went crazy. Some people say that they were made by the gov' to test mind effects on people, im not sure about that though. Theres a ton of people who say they have played it. This one guy after he played it, went totally anti-gaming and wont play a game again lol. One of the reasons im posting this here, is that wherever people are talking about it, this one guy posts saying not to talk about this anymore, and your life is in danger if you continue. Razz Lets see if he shows up. This is actually pretty big, lots of people are talking about it. More resources:

http://coinop.org/g.aspx/103223/Polybius.html
http://forums.gameinformer.com/gi/board/me...message.id=1041
http://forums.gamebunker.com/index.php?showtopic=3517&st=0

Oh yeah, this site too. Watch out tho, its scary after like 10 sec Razz
http://www.solidsharkey.com/polybius.html

Imp

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jan 2004 03:41:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Jan 2004 05:37:37 pm    Post subject:

[font="Impact"]Don't talk about this anymore.
[font="Impact"]Your life is in danger if you continue.

j/k. Am I insane to want to play this game, or does everyone else want to too?

Quote:
Atari cut the beta phase short after several complaints that the rotating mazes and flashing backrounds made players disoriented and nauseous.

There's probably nothing to the "amnesia/nightmares" thing.
Matt

Posted: 08 Jan 2004 05:46:52 pm    Post subject:

I'd love to!

What do you think bout that AnonC guy who goes around warning people who are researchin' it to stop!?

Last edited by Guest on 08 Jan 2004 05:47:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 08 Jan 2004 05:58:55 pm    Post subject:

i want to try it...

sounds kind of hard though Neutral

hahaha, AnonC makes me laugh Razz
think he may have been one of the people affected? Surprised
it is possible... Surprised
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Jan 2004 05:59:24 pm    Post subject:

His exact wording is
AnonC wrote:
I know this is a very exciting topic for those of you who are into conspiracy issues, but I would highly recommend that you abandon your search for information regarding the subject of this conversation. I say this in your own best interest. Those of you who have come too close to the issue have had to be taken care of unfortunately. I would encourage you not to pursue an action that would very likely endanger your own life and possibly the lives of those you love.
I have been instructed to post this to any site that is engaged in active discussion regarding the subject. If possible, alert your friends who may be searching as well. Thank you for your time.
JesusFreak
JesusFreak

Posted: 08 Jan 2004 06:04:02 pm    Post subject:

so this is no where, i would play it if found.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 01:11:56 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like an urban legend to me.

Quote:
You could rig the game to occasionally whisper disturbing things just on the edge of audibility. If a scared female voice whispering "Go away." or "Stop it, you're hurting me." doesn't rattle the player, the always terrifying "I'm pregnant."
Hahahaha.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 04:23:49 pm    Post subject:

Several years ago, there were commercials (in some places) that were shown while the show was going, every 25th screen or so. The person watching didn't notice, but his subconscious remembered those commercials. They were banned as having to much of an effect on the psyche.
If this Polybius exists and works like it is said to, that is probably how.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 04:37:49 pm    Post subject:

Proof please. (of those commercials that is)

hehe: http://www.seizurerobots.com/

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jan 2004 04:39:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 05:05:26 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Proof please. (of those commercials that is)

Don't have any, I found out from my dad.

Quote:

That site makes me dizzy!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 05:06:17 pm    Post subject:

Aww, I was hoping to use it later so I could advertise stuff without anybody knowing and become rich.

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jan 2004 05:06:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 05:07:53 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Aww, I was hoping to use it later so I could advertise stuff without anybody knowing and become rich.

The TV channel would know.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 05:10:29 pm    Post subject:

I'm getting some results with google: http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/ggninfo/90.htm

Though I can't see how it works, since when can the human eye see 3000 frames a second?

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jan 2004 05:11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 06:10:59 pm    Post subject:

Haha I stole some of those crazy robots for my Xanga site. I think it will add a level of deterent to the page.
Matt

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 09:43:13 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
This game had a very limited release, one or two backwater arcades in a suburb of Portland. The history of this game is cloudy, there were all kinds of strange stories about how kids who played it got amnesia afterwards, couldn't remember their name or where they lived, etc. The bizarre rumors about this game are that it was supposedly developed by some kind of weird military tech offshoot group, used some kind of proprietary behavior modification algorithms developed for the CIA or something, kids who played it woke up at night screaming, having horrible nightmares.

HERE

No arcade game called Polybius induced amnesia, caused gamers to wake up screaming in the middle of the night, or attracted the attention of mysterious "men in black" who periodically came to "collect records" from Portland-area machines. This one is just a gag someone invented several years ago which has now become enshrined on the web, another version of the conspiracy rumors involving military intelligence agents visiting arcades to collect stored information from game consoles which date to at least the early 1980s. (Back then we were supposed to watch out for men in black who came around to take down the initials of high scorers at Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Defender.)
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 09 Jan 2004 11:34:53 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Back then we were supposed to watch out for men in black who came around to take down the initials of high scorers at Space Invaders, Asteroids, and Defender.

How old are you? Old enough to have lived through the 80's arcade game craze?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 02:08:33 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
Though I can't see how it works, since when can the human eye see 3000 frames a second?

I think that you see some, not all of the images. Since you're paying attention to the movie, you automatically remember the commercial without realizing it. It is like the idea (which I think is false) that you can tell anything to a person asleep and he will accept it as true whatever it is.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 02:12:55 pm    Post subject:

Meh, I just find it hard to believe you can remember something without ever realising it is happening.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 02:30:45 pm    Post subject:

Well, can you remember yourself being born? That information is still stored in your brain.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 10 Jan 2004 02:54:52 pm    Post subject:

That's the other way round, knowing it is happening when it did, but not being able to remember it.

This commercial business is not knowing it's happening when it is, but being able to remember it anyway.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement