This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's z80 & ez80 Assembly subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Z80 & 68k Assembly => z80 & ez80 Assembly
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Jan 2004 07:42:34 pm    Post subject:

Hey dudes out there who know more about ASM then me, how do you create an OS for the TI-83+?? Oh come on, help me!
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 06 Jan 2004 08:22:53 pm    Post subject:

You don't. Violation of copy right laws. Michael Vincent tried it once, but he had to stop because TI told him to. (Or however that went. Someone go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong.)
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 06 Jan 2004 09:01:32 pm    Post subject:

He might mean an OS like Mirage or ION. I'm not an ASM programmer, but if you already know ASM, then figure out how to get the information for the programs on the calc (like what language they are in, size, etc.). Then figure out how to do things like hide and lock them, display remaining battery power, change the contrast, etc. There are ways to do all of these. Remember there are already a whole bunch of good OS's out and coming out, so if you are really going to try this, be prepared to dedicate a lot of time and effort.

btw if you are doing this in BASIC, don't even try. Since you can't do prgmStr4, you can't run a program specified by the user. It's just not possible with BASIC.

Last edited by Guest on 07 Jan 2004 01:23:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Adm.Wiggin
aka Tianon

Know-It-All

Posted: 07 Jan 2004 08:00:46 am    Post subject:

Jeremiah Walgren wrote:
You don't.  Violation of copy right laws.  Michael Vincent tried it once, but he had to stop because TI told him to.  (Or however that went.  Someone go ahead and correct me if I'm wrong.)

ok, here is your half-correction...

you are right, BUT, he was allowed to resume, and I suppose he has given up, for i haven't heard anything about it :|

oh, and what if someone did that when people created new OS's for the computer? thats a lot of lawsuits now isnt it?! so, TI can only copywrite their own OS, and the calc, not YOUR OS that you make!

Last edited by Guest on 07 Jan 2004 08:01:52 am; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Jan 2004 02:14:35 pm    Post subject:

It is legal to create anything you want.

It is legal to post anything you create provided you did not steal code when you created it.

It is leagal to copy fuctionality provided you do not us copyrighted logos et cetera and you do not steal code.

It is leagal to provide information about installing stuff, getting around security problems, et cetera.

Essentially, Michael Vincent can release his OS.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Jan 2004 05:42:02 pm    Post subject:

Wasn't the problem about being able to download apps without validation if you have your own OS that doesn't validate?
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Jan 2004 08:04:35 pm    Post subject:

Um I thought it was something about how he had to "borrow" a few sections of code from TI's OS, which was the copyrighted stuff he got in trouble for.

I think if it were possible to write the entire thing from scratch, you'd be fine.

Spyderbyte
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Jan 2004 08:25:57 pm    Post subject:

O.K. Maybe I did not clearly state what I was saying. What I kind of OS I meant was like Mirage and Ion. However, how do you also add some new commands in an OS like how Mirage added new ones? Oh yeah, how do you also check batts. etc.?
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 07 Jan 2004 08:36:52 pm    Post subject:

Just wondering....do you already know ASM?

Look at the forum for NimbusOS and some other places to find information about checking the battery. As for new features, I assume you would just post a new version of the OS on TICalc.org or something.
shadowing
Powered by 64

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Jan 2004 08:52:42 pm    Post subject:

Hey I don't know a lot about ASM so that's why I posted this topic up. However, I have attempted to look at the other OS topics, but aren't able to understand what are they saying.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 07 Jan 2004 09:36:46 pm    Post subject:

Then you should probably do some simpler stuff before you dive into making an OS. Make some simple games in ASM. Once you feel comfortable with the programming, go ahead and try making you own OS.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 07 Jan 2004 11:35:16 pm    Post subject:

Or even a few simple programs just to get the hang of things - then head on to games.
shadowing