This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 16 Oct 2006 07:04:41 pm    Post subject:

A long time ago I lent my calculator to someone and he lost it. Since then I have gotten another one (well... actually two other ones...). But this freind has recently found it again. It has a almost uselessly busted LCD (it's leaking like mad) and I'm wondering firstly how hard it would be to replace the LCD? While I'm in there I may want to add a backlight, and as many really awsome additions as I can think of (speakers? FM radio receiver? More battery power?). What do you think I should add, keep in mind I want to make this the most pointlessly tricked out TI-83+ ever, I mean, extremely awsomely pointless. I will probably not get it back from him for around a week so I have that long to dream...
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 16 Oct 2006 09:00:27 pm    Post subject:

Well, if the LCD is leaking... I don't think it is easily replaceable... That is just to start out with... once you get past that... I dunno, some of the stuff sounds fun. Smile
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Oct 2006 01:04:03 am    Post subject:

Replacing an LCD screen is difficult at best. I tried and failed. If you don't have ribbon cable, I wouldn't even bother trying.

Here is a thread on backlighting, judge the difficulty youself. http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=5267vv

If you want to do AA batteries or some power source, look no further than DigiTan's Calc DBS.

Radio, I dont see how you could do this internally, but these two might work well
Coby® CX-9 Mini AM/FM Pocket Radio
Radio Shack Digital AM/FM Pocket Radio
I included the second one because my mom has it and it seems that one could reduce the space it takes by using an AA batteries and removing the speaker. There are smaller radios, but they only have scan/reset. Which makes it hard to have the calc control it, just sticking a radio on the back of a calc is silly Razz I wonder if one could use a shift register to ast like a serial to parallel converter? Maybe others can shed some light on this. You would hook the shift register up to the serial port, and send values to it. The output from the register connects to the switches on the radio for tuning. Rig up some kind of switch so the radio doesn't tune when you dont want it to. (or the hold button will probably work fine)

For speakers, why not use some of the fold-up iPod ones on ebay?

Last edited by Guest on 17 Oct 2006 01:05:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 17 Oct 2006 05:55:31 am    Post subject:

Having speakers isn't exactly pointless. It would make sound games much funnier and let you listen to music in class.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Oct 2006 11:19:19 am    Post subject:

Don't forget adding a PS/2 port for Emerson/DCS compatibility and multiple linkports so it can act as a CLAP or CALCnet2.2 hub.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 17 Oct 2006 12:00:14 pm    Post subject:

lol, just had to get that in there, huh? Razz
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Oct 2006 12:01:34 pm    Post subject:

tifreak8x wrote:
lol, just had to get that in there, huh? Razz
[post="89909"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Of course, how could I miss an opportunity like that? Very Happy
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 17 Oct 2006 02:23:29 pm    Post subject:

Update: I now have two TI-83+'s coming my way, one is completely broken, I'm going to take the LCD from that one for use on the other one, as for the radio, I'm probably going to do something along the lines of taping it to the back of my calculator, except it will be "hidden" on the inside with the parts necicary to use it easily exposed. todlangwilig, thanks for the links, I'm sure they will prove to be extremely useful once I can get this started (should be later this week).

<offtopic>I just got a shirt that says Save Pluto on it!!! AWSOME!!!</offtopic>
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement