This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Sep 2006 02:29:53 pm    Post subject:

Strange, it worked for me in IE and Firefox just fine.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 Sep 2006 02:44:40 pm    Post subject:

Ok I've applied, worked just fine with FF.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 24 Sep 2006 02:55:53 pm    Post subject:

I use IE and I have no problem at all, haven't got that FF.
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 Sep 2006 03:23:44 pm    Post subject:

Sage Orator wrote:
Doesn't do anything in IE. I'll download FF though I'm not really supposed to...
[post="88891"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
portable firefox?
Cure

Posted: 05 Oct 2006 09:18:12 pm    Post subject:

alexrudd wrote:
What is the community's opinion: should all code be open and unlocked, or should you not be able to modify code without the author's permission?
[post="88814"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Actully, locking is completely useless now: With Doors CS 6, you can right (alpha) select any program, and lock or un-lock it. I've tried numerous programs, including AOC, and they all unlock allowing me to see the code.

Honestly though, I don't mind letting people see the code if they benefit from it; I know seeing how code works has helped me Smile
slayer117

Posted: 06 Oct 2006 09:40:01 am    Post subject:

i know that there is a disagreement between wiki and forum, however i propose a solution. the solution that i put forthh is that we keep both a wiki and a forum (asm and basic respectivly) that we would interconnect to each other.
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Oct 2006 12:39:11 pm    Post subject:

Which wiki and forum are we talking about, I can think of 4 total?

Wiki:
WikiTI - Assembly
TI-Basic Developer wiki

Forum:
Function Library forum
United TI

I don't see a reason why, for the time being, the Function Library and TI-Basic Developer can't cross link each other. If we have something of decent enough quality, then I say they are free to link to it. I just ask that they tell us what they are linking so that we can make sure the links stay valid.

I don't know what Plague thinks, but personally I think an effort should be made in the future to merge the two sites.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 06 Oct 2006 02:27:07 pm    Post subject:

For the ASM version, why don't we just search in ASM forum in UTI, all is there (and if not, look for ASM in 28 days or ASM Guru or WikiTI)

We should put all of them together, but that would be long and painful.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Oct 2006 03:29:30 pm    Post subject:

todlangweilig wrote:
I don't see a reason why, for the time being, the Function Library and TI-Basic Developer can't cross link each other. If we have something of decent enough quality, then I say they are free to link to it. I just ask that they tell us what they are linking so that we can make sure the links stay valid.

I don't know what Plague thinks, but personally I think an effort should be made in the future to merge the two sites.
[post="89515"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
My argument would be against that precisely because I don't consider the Function Library (if you're referring to this) to be of "decent enough quality." Aside from being fairly incomplete, which I grant is a matter of time, I find it lacking in the following areas (I can point out examples if you want them):

• some fairly important uses of the function are left off
  • when "notes" are listed, they are often questionably accurate or just plain wrong
  • the example codes are suboptimal in ways that don't help understanding of the code (i.e. not like leaving parentheses on, which I understand)
  • important considerations are left unmentioned in these example codes, which would cause programs that used them to crash
  • some things are just random
I do not blame the makers of the library! This is a difficult task, especially if you're not very experienced in TI-Basic (no offense), and you're bound to leave stuff off! That's why I consider the wiki to be much better in terms of accuracy - you can always correct any errors, and add anything that the original author left off, much more easily than for the function library.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 06 Oct 2006 06:14:48 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
especially if one types it in incorrectly

Does 00000C9 or 00000C9 or 00009C crash the calculator?

Anyway, this isn't about criticizing the function library: if it has mistakes, send a PM to the authors.

Also, the wiki isn't perfect either. Here's an example:

Code:
:"Some Text Here/Some Text Here/Some Text Here/→Str1
:1→A:0
:Repeat Ans=length(Str1
:Ans+1→X
:inString(Str1,"/",X
:Text(6A,1,sub(Str1,X,Ans-X
:IS>(A,2A
:End
Although the code works fine and gets bonus points for using IS>(, it could be 2 bytes smaller and easier to understand. The advantage of the wiki is that it's editable: I just changed it now. (You can check the wiki to see if you couldn't figure it out. :ninja: )

EDIT: Who did I just reply to? Their post is gone! (not even in the trash :icon14: )

Last edited by Guest on 06 Oct 2006 06:40:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 06 Oct 2006 10:44:25 pm    Post subject:

Todlangweilig,

I have no problem merging the two sites (I even offered to discuss it with Plague before, but I got no response from him), as it seems rather counterproductive to both be working towards the same goal but dividing up our efforts. You guys have some decent information about using the commands, which would fit in the command section of the wiki. As some of the commands are better described than others, I think we should primarily stick with using the better commands.

Concerning keeping both the wiki and forum (as slayer117 said), I think just keeping the wiki makes more sense because a wiki has the functionality of a forum already built-in. The wiki has a discussion module that is available for each page, and a wiki is much better for collaboration (as DarkerLine said). Besides that, I think the quality of the wiki is already there, so it should only get better with your addition.
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Oct 2006 12:29:37 am    Post subject:

Burr,

I will see if I can't get Plague to concider the merging idea. It does look like our function library would fit nicely into your command index. I agree with just using the better definitions, which is what I was trying to say in my previous post. I don't have a problem with just using the wiki.

@ Alexrudd

To answer your question, the first two return syntax errors, the third however does crash the calc.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 07 Oct 2006 11:16:50 am    Post subject:

It was rhetorical, someone (post disppeared) was making fun of the forum for having a disclaimer that went something like this:
Quote:
AsmPrgm0000C9
Warning: Be careful when using this code.  Especially when typed incorrectly, it can crash your calculator.
slayer117

Posted: 11 Oct 2006 10:50:22 am    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
My argument would be against that precisely because I don't consider the Function Library (if you're referring to this) to be of "decent enough quality." Aside from being fairly incomplete, which I grant is a matter of time, I find it lacking in the following areas (I can point out examples if you want them):

• some fairly important uses of the function are left off

• when "notes" are listed, they are often questionably accurate or just plain wrong

• the example codes are suboptimal in ways that don't help understanding of the code (i.e. not like leaving parentheses on, which I understand)

• important considerations are left unmentioned in these example codes, which would cause programs that used them to crash

• some things are just random
I do not blame the makers of the library! This is a difficult task, especially if you're not very experienced in TI-Basic (no offense), and you're bound to leave stuff off! That's why I consider the wiki to be much better in terms of accuracy - you can always correct any errors, and add anything that the original author left off, much more easily than for the function library.
[post="89523"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

please point out some errors at this site , i have been working hard at making the posts good and mostly uniform. also i am really interested in what you think of my basic guide cause i worked fairly hard on it.
well thanks for the input
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Oct 2006 07:02:20 pm    Post subject:

I sent a PM to Todlangweilig a couple of days ago about it.
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Oct 2006 07:27:27 pm    Post subject:

I'll forward it to him.

Edit: It's been sent.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Oct 2006 07:31:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 07 Nov 2006 07:48:51 pm    Post subject:

It's been a while since I posted any news or updates about TI-Basic Developer, and that's because I have just lost interest working on it. As I was the primary person contributing, the project has pretty much died. I don't foresee myself working on it again for a good while, so I just wanted to give you guys a heads up.
todlangweilig

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Nov 2006 08:36:43 pm    Post subject:

*sigh* :-/
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Nov 2006 08:40:48 pm    Post subject:

The good thing about a wiki is that it can't just die like that. It will still be there, anyone can read, and anyone can contribute.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 08 Nov 2006 02:04:26 am    Post subject:

Because I don't want my lack of interest to doom the wiki, I have promoted Alexrudd and DarkerLine to admin. They are now able to do all of the admin-related things for the wiki, so if somebody emails or PMs me and I don't respond, just contact them. I hope this is acceptable to you guys and Alexrudd and DarkerLine don't mind the responsibility.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 3 of 12 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement