This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 31 Aug 2006 06:27:02 pm    Post subject:

Greetings,

The goal of creating a comprehensive TI-Basic guide has been tossed around and discussed many times on various TI sites and forums, but it has yet to be realized. This is primarily due to the sheer size of the project because of the time and effort it would take to complete, but also because people simply have other projects and things they're working on (some have more projects than others).

Nonetheless, I still believe a comprehensive TI-Basic guide is needed because of how much overlap exists in the guides/tutorials and TI-Basic information that is out there. Although there are lots of people teaching TI-Basic on the different TI forums, it would be better to simply have one guide that people can refer beginners and everybody else to.

With this thought in mind, I began working on a TI-Basic guide aptly called TI-Basic Developer over a year ago. While I have already put a considerable amount of time and effort into the guide, the progress I have made is relatively small in terms of the overall goal of creating a comprehensive guide.

Because I realize that it just isn't feasible for one person to do all the work themselves, I have decided to turn it into a group project and open it up to everyone. I think the guide has a lot of potential -- just imagine all the beginner TI-Basic programmers it would help! -- and with everyone working on it, I really believe it can become something great. Please consider helping.

burr

Last edited by Guest on 16 Aug 2008 09:35:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 31 Aug 2006 06:58:16 pm    Post subject:

Looks great...
How about adding a section on erros that one can get while running a basic program?

Something like this:

Code:
Error type (MEM OVERFLOW, SINTAX ERROR, ERROR:DIM)

What the error means (Incorrect function arguments, out of dimension for list/matrix)

How to fix it
Also include a basic optimization section (like removing end parenthasis, certain optimization tricks found here)
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 31 Aug 2006 07:37:59 pm    Post subject:

Heu ,do you want a time-code thing? I mean all the functions you talk, have the time they take. It doesn't seem for beginners, but look, if we are to give tips and tricks to stat and what to do, you could maybe do a section for the time of code, let'S say you have certain functions and you need to know or you want to tell them they should use this or this instead of that...

I hope you understood what I said.

To see what it is like here's the link.

Link to my topic

If needed, I will do more...

Last edited by Guest on 31 Aug 2006 07:38:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 31 Aug 2006 08:07:51 pm    Post subject:

wiki? It would make it much easier to contribute.

The site design looks great - clean, slick, and readable. I like it.
Sage Orator

Advanced Member

Posted: 31 Aug 2006 11:59:40 pm    Post subject:

Good to see this come out. Haven't heard anything about it in a month. I'm willing to do anything you want me to with my limited time.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 01 Sep 2006 12:45:21 am    Post subject:

I have put the guide on a wiki so that everybody can edit it, and you can add whatever content you want. The wiki has communication functionality built-in, so we can talk there in addition to this forum.

The wiki has now been moved to wikidot.com, and links have been changed accordingly

Last edited by Guest on 16 Apr 2007 05:17:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 01 Sep 2006 05:28:19 am    Post subject:

Heu, I might seem newb but how am I supposed to add the Time-code?

actions button: Create Timing Code part, then I edit it?

I just don't want to mess up all what Weregoose and you have done...

Last edited by Guest on 01 Sep 2006 05:33:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Sep 2006 06:16:58 am    Post subject:

Burr has done most of the work himself, so I can't take nearly half-credit.

There is a new page for timed code [s]here[/s] (link removed) you can add stuff into. Please keep it clean and make sure the quality is considerably high: Spelling, grammar, overviews, descriptions, navigability, appearance, everything. (Think about how Wikipedia does it.) I'll likely be enforcing a very high degree of quality control over this.

There is also a new page for listing errors [s]here[/s] (link removed). Please use the manual to help you with this. I'll also contribute to this page when time permits. Note: If you take words or phrases from different places (e.g., the manual in this case), then you need to cite your sources. It is especially important that you do this. Thank you.

I'm looking forward to your continued collaboration on this project!
–Weregoose

Last edited by Guest on 20 Sep 2006 02:51:33 am; edited 1 time in total
stef

Posted: 01 Sep 2006 10:15:27 am    Post subject:

Very good manual, especially for beginners.
And not only the content is very good,
also the layout, my compliments to Burr !!
This was the first time I didn't see a PRINT button on the webpage,
and was hapilly surprised to see another beatiful layout on the printer.

I also wonder how you'll keep the wiki-page and the normal page synchronized, how is it done ?

I understand that the manual is mainly intended for newbies. But sooner or later newbies will become more experienced. And will find programs like SourceCoder. So why isn't there a link in the manual to these kind of sites?
Of course there are more sites you could mention (I'm just a newbie to TI-basic), but as you promote structured programming (which in my opinion is also necessary for programs larger than the ABC-formula), programs that helps you with a more structured way of displaying (indentation, color-highlighting, procedures), might be a great help for beginners in the technic of programming.

cheers,
Stef
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 01 Sep 2006 02:48:17 pm    Post subject:

I'll try to do my best for it to look good. The only thing I see is that it is not in the navigation menu, but it isn't done at all so I understand it is not listed. I'll show it to you when I think it is ok, so you can tell me if it is good or what I need to improve.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Sep 2006 03:55:49 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Please keep it clean and make sure the quality is considerably high: Spelling, grammar, overviews, descriptions, navigability, appearance, everything.  (Think about how Wikipedia does it.) I'll likely be enforcing a very high degree of quality control over this.
I disagree. While I agree that it should be as high-quality as possible, don't be discouraged from adding information even if you can't perfect the grammar. Others can always come back and fix minor or even major mistakes.

Wikipedia wrote:
It is wonderful when someone adds a complete, well-written, final draft to Wikipedia. This should always be encouraged.

However, one of the great advantages of the Wiki system is that incomplete or poorly written first drafts of articles can evolve into polished, presentable masterpieces through the process of collaborative editing. This gives our approach an advantage over other ways of producing similar end-products. Hence, the submission of rough drafts should also be encouraged as much as possible.

I won't get much of a chance to check it out this weekend since I'm leaving in a few hours, but I'll look into it when I get back.

EDIT: I tried it out a little, and it took me a while to get to be able to use the visual editor. I made several mistakes before finally getting it right, but I think I have the hang of it how.

I propose that all commands have their own [[#anchor]] for easy reference. I added some for Disp and Output in the relevent sections, and changed one to Pause instead of "pausing." I'm not sure if it's case sensitive or not, though.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Sep 2006 04:39:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 01 Sep 2006 06:38:39 pm    Post subject:

@AlexRudd: Yes, changing the Anchor's name affects the anchor link. What the link jumps to is the anchor. So if it is supposed to jump to anchor #pause and there is only #pausing, it won't jump (and reverse also applies)
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 03 Sep 2006 06:54:12 pm    Post subject:

He'd contacted me about this a while ago, but I suppose I went away to soon, I just signed up so and promise to visit and help there regularly.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Sep 2006 08:28:01 pm    Post subject:

Fallen Ghost wrote:
@AlexRudd: Yes, changing the Anchor's name affects the anchor link. What the link jumps to is the anchor. So if it is supposed to jump to anchor #pause and there is only #pausing, it won't jump (and reverse also applies)  [post="87519"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
I knew that, and changed the link I found from #pausing to #pause.
However, I asked if it was case-sensitive: are will #pause and #Pause and #pAUSe be treated as the same thing?
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 05 Sep 2006 09:07:02 pm    Post subject:

After using wikispaces for a while, I decided that it wasn't a very good wiki service. So, after doing some research, I came upon wikidot. Wikidot seems to be leaps and bounds above wikispaces, so I have moved the TI-Basic Developer wiki to wikidot. Could a staff member change the links in my posts above to the new location?
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 05 Sep 2006 09:37:37 pm    Post subject:

Edited, although you can change it yourself by using [EDIT] on your own post.

Quote:
You can not apply.
Membership via application is not enabled for this site.

I'm sure you haven't set it up yet since your account on wikidot is only a few hours old, but I mention them just in case. Out of curiousity, what was wrong with wikispaces?

Last edited by Guest on 05 Sep 2006 09:45:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 05 Sep 2006 10:06:36 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for changing the link. I looked for an Edit button, but I was unable to find one. Maybe I didn't look at the right place, I don't know.

I need to modify the permissions to allow everybody to edit and create pages. I decided to go with wikidot instead of wikispaces for a couple reasons. First, I liked the look of the pages and editor better. It was easier to use for me. Second, wikidot just seemed to be more fully developed as a quality wiki service. What do you guys think about wikidot?

Last edited by Guest on 05 Sep 2006 10:08:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 06 Sep 2006 05:43:28 am    Post subject:

I added some part of the custom menu tutorail i am working on.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Sep 2006 05:47:44 am; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Sep 2006 10:06:10 pm    Post subject:

I've been making a few edits here and there: I copied over Fallen Ghost's code timings, and started the page on saving via lists. We need more members for the wiki!

Quote:
Members:
burr  since 4 Sep 2006, 22:12 CDT (5 days ago)
Fallen Ghost  since 7 Sep 2006, 19:46 CDT (3 days ago)
alexrudd  since 7 Sep 2006, 19:46 CDT (3 days ago)
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 12 Sep 2006 06:38:23 pm    Post subject:

There's been some more progress on the wiki, including a new member (DarkerLine) and some decent page edits. I was messing with the Site Manage module yesterday, and I discovered that the wiki comes with an optional forum. It currently isn't enabled, because I think we should just have the discusssion in this topic, but I can enable it if you guys want me to. What do you guys think?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 12 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement