This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
Jim e

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 04:00:01 pm    Post subject:

Raster wrote:
Well, it is a pretty basic consept on how to do this. The calc has only 2 data lines. So we only have to deal with 3 tones (01, 10, and 11).
Why are you talking?

Ben and digi are right, it's not working because each line is controlled by each calculator, the protocol depends. Voltage may also have some play in this. And you know to add insult to injury, the phone lines are crossed, where as the TIs code is dependant on tip to tip ring to ring, so even if everything else worked each bit would still come in inverted.

If you want something like this to work you would have to base it on timing. That's assuming voltage isn't an issue. Give it an in line and out line, and a protocol not really seen on ti calcs. Of course there is the likely chance that when the audio gets compressed and those precious little bits will get altered to whatever the phone company thinks will save bandwidth.

Really I think there are better wastes of time.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 04:17:07 pm    Post subject:

Jim e wrote:
Raster wrote:
Well, it is a pretty basic consept on how to do this. The calc has only 2 data lines. So we only have to deal with 3 tones (01, 10, and 11).
Why are you talking?
Because everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and opinions aren't restricted by the forum rules.
Raster

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 05:23:12 pm    Post subject:

Jim e wrote:
Raster wrote:
Why are you talking?

Ben and digi are right, it's not working because each line is controlled by each calculator, the protocol depends. Voltage may also have some play in this. And you know to add insult to injury, the phone lines are crossed, where as the TIs code is dependant on tip to tip ring to ring, so even if everything else worked each bit would still come in inverted.

If you want something like this to work you would have to base it on timing. That's assuming voltage isn't an issue. Give it an in line and out line, and a protocol not really seen on ti calcs. Of course there is the likely chance that when the audio gets compressed and those precious little bits will get altered to whatever the phone company thinks will save bandwidth.

Really I think there are better wastes of time.
[post="77582"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Ok, that comment was based oppon the fact that a modem would work, using only 3 tones, and who ever programs there calculator to send and recive signals souly based on wait time is a moron. Most of every calculator program dealing with serial communication has a send and request logic to it. Asin send signal when you ricive this data, and bla bla bla. So, if the two calculators would send data at the same time, it would be a problem with the program not the modem to cellphone design.

I understand you cannot directly connect your calc to your cellphone, that is why the modem was presented to generate tones, and that is why I presented my information with how to make a DTMF communicator. (And I did try it myself connecting two calc togeather, and I know for myself it didnt work, heck I remember the idea presented alittle while back http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=2838 )

Last edited by Guest on 30 Apr 2006 05:24:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim e

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 05:44:25 pm    Post subject:

Raster wrote:
Ok, that comment was based oppon the fact that a modem would work, using only 3 tones, and who ever programs there calculator to send and recive signals souly based on wait time is a moron. Most of every calculator program dealing with serial communication has a send and request logic to it. Asin send signal when you ricive this data, and bla bla bla. So, if the two calculators would send data at the same time, it would be a problem with the program not the modem to cellphone design.

I understand you cannot directly connect your calc to your cellphone, that is why the modem was presented to generate tones, and that is why I presented my information with how to make a DTMF communicator. (And I did try it myself connecting two calc togeather, and I know for myself it didnt work, heck I remember the idea presented alittle while back http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=2838 )
[post="77589"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
My point still why are talking about bringing a modem into the picture. The topic matter was on directly connecting the ti to headset port of telephones. If you want to get arbitrary hardware involved, a better solution is using a pc and tunnelling. Being that more people have pcs and graphlink cables, this seems more reliable solution.

But as I stated at the end of my post, this seems quite useless, and to elaborate very few people link for anything beyond transferring programs.
Raster

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 06:25:51 pm    Post subject:

Jim e wrote:
My point still why are talking about bringing a modem into the picture. The topic matter was on directly connecting the ti to headset port of telephones. If you want to get arbitrary hardware involved, a better solution is using a pc and tunnelling. Being that more people have pcs and graphlink cables, this seems more reliable solution.

But as I stated at the end of my post, this seems quite useless, and to elaborate very few people link for anything beyond transferring programs.
[post="77591"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Why cant we bring the modem into the picture? we are still using the cellphone to communicate to the two calcs. And we have already concluded that it is most likely not possible to directly connect the calcs to a cellphone. So some of us think, what would it take to get them to communicate through a cellphone. Digitan presented a modem to go onto the cellphone, and I just elaborated on it. And the modem does connect to the audio jack for those cellphone headsets, so it would work, and it follows the guide lines of using a cellphone.
Jim e

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 06:48:35 pm    Post subject:

For all practicalities worth, bringing in extra hardware must either be cheap || easily available or purely proof of concept. I'm all for proof of concept but something like this is getting way out there. Stuff like this is done usually just for that fact of saying you did it.
Raster

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 07:09:13 pm    Post subject:

Hey, we have free will and if we want to do something pointless, all power to us! Besides, I dont want to build a modem, because I am busy building a tesla coil Very Happy .
Well, if I come up with any other ideas besides the modem thing, then I will post it, other wise have fun finding some other means of communication.

[EDIT]

And what is the use of even making a calculator hook up to a cellphone? Tell me the praticality in that?

Last edited by Guest on 30 Apr 2006 07:11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim e

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 07:32:37 pm    Post subject:

Raster wrote:
And what is the use of even making a calculator hook up to a cellphone? Tell me the praticality in that?
There is none, just 1 of the many reasons I didn't start this topic. Very Happy

And at least a telsa coil is cool, no one wants to see nerds chat on the calcs, not even other nerds.
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 09:58:52 pm    Post subject:

It's not the idea of using calc's to chat but using phones to connect calc's. It would allow for alot of unexpected things to be done (multiplayer games? etc...)
Jim e

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 10:50:07 pm    Post subject:

please elaborate on etc. Beyond maybe 3 purposes, it seems pointless.
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 May 2006 12:12:49 am    Post subject:

Jim e wrote:
[post="77626"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

email, IRC, upload programs directly to ticalc.org from your calc Very Happy, RSS, telnet, MUDs....
Raster

Posted: 01 May 2006 12:21:07 am    Post subject:

elfprince13 wrote:
Jim e wrote:

email, IRC, upload programs directly to ticalc.org from your calc Very Happy, RSS, telnet, MUDs....
[post="77635"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think that would be more plausible with a WiFi link...

Last edited by Guest on 01 May 2006 12:21:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 May 2006 12:26:13 am    Post subject:

Yeah, internet connection would be easier with a USB wifi adapter, not pseudo-dial-up.

Now, over-the-country multiplayer games would be easier with this, though I s'pose a wifi would also work.
Jim e

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 May 2006 01:21:38 am    Post subject:

elfprince13 wrote:
Jim e wrote:

[post="77635"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
How does connecting 2 calcs over cellphones allow you to do any of that?

Id like to see some one try there hand against a usb bluetooth adaptor.
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 May 2006 01:43:29 am    Post subject:

Jim e wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
Jim e wrote:
please elaborate on etc. Beyond maybe 3 purposes, it seems pointless.  [post="77626"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

email, IRC, upload programs directly to ticalc.org from your calc Very Happy, RSS, telnet, MUDs.... [post="77635"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
How does connecting 2 calcs over cellphones allow you to do any of that? [post="77642"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think he meant a calc => cell => dial-up service sort of thing

Last edited by Guest on 01 May 2006 08:54:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 May 2006 03:19:03 pm    Post subject:

*cough* gCn *cough*
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 01 May 2006 05:00:48 pm    Post subject:

</blatant self advertisement> :P

If cells could do this, I'd want one.
Fallen Ghost

Elite

Posted: 24 Oct 2006 08:12:28 pm    Post subject:

Ok, that would be fun to play TI multiplayer game on the net on the calc!

Actually, there is a cell phone already working with a Z80... Why not just port the program for it?
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Oct 2006 03:26:23 pm    Post subject:

Why not just play a computer online game? You're not telling me there's no 2player tetris on the 'net. Or bubble bobble, those are the only decent 2player games out there anyway.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Oct 2006 03:27:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement