This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 04:24:34 pm    Post subject:

Well, maybe not China but definitely somewhere local.

So, why is this not working for me?

Last edited by Guest on 19 Apr 2006 04:26:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 06:02:08 pm    Post subject:

1) Your phone already has that functionality all on it's own. Razz
2) You need software?
Tiberious726

Advanced Member

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 06:26:02 pm    Post subject:

microsoft fears the ti os becuase it know that even it is better than windows and is scrambling your signal
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 06:32:29 pm    Post subject:

Ha! good one.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 07:14:52 pm    Post subject:

(If this isn't a hoax) A cellphone input would be AC-coupled to block any DC from clipping the audio amps. The data would have to be encoded that it never holds the same level for more than a few milliseconds.
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Apr 2006 10:36:27 pm    Post subject:

No hoax... just wondering whether or not it's possible. Basically, I'm asking if you can call someone and link up to them.

Last edited by Guest on 19 Apr 2006 10:37:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 12:11:02 am    Post subject:

I guess so. There are a lot of cell model that have modem capabilities. You could probably find software to install a modem program from one of those cell hacker forums--it'd probably be real model-specific though.
Raster

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 08:49:25 pm    Post subject:

cant you just make a tone generator that generates a tone for 10, 01, and 11? And translate it? or something...
elfprince13
Retired

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 08:58:12 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
I guess so.  There are a lot of cell model that have modem capabilities.  You could probably find software to install a modem program from one of those cell hacker forums--it'd probably be real model-specific though.
[post="76190"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

there is a working Telnet client for the 83+ series, which works with serial modems....find a serial-modem to cellphone hookup and you are set.
Brazucs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 10:10:09 pm    Post subject:

1. The "working" has ceased quite a few years ago, especially with the advent of broadband.
2. You'd wanna carry a modem around with ya?

What about one of those little USB network adapters? Is there any work on that?
Raster

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 11:03:18 pm    Post subject:

Brazucs wrote:
1. The "working" has ceased quite a few years ago, especially with the advent of broadband.

What about one of those little USB network adapters? Is there any work on that?
[post="76279"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

That has been an idea that has been presented many times. It is a very good idea, but developing it is the tough part.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Apr 2006 11:33:09 pm    Post subject:

I guess I could look into this stuff. I found a forum on cell phone hacks from this yesterday, and cell modems seem to be common trick for these guys.
Fr0stbyte124

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 21 Apr 2006 07:00:19 pm    Post subject:

I spent quite a while trying to do that, but I doubt it's possible. The problem lies in the voltages. While it may look like an audio jack, the data port is actutally a stripped-down serial port, complete with 5v signals and hardware logic. A typical headset port can't supply the kind of voltage differences necessary to register on the calculator side.

Still, there would be some hope if you could figure out how to hack the voltage regulator inside the phone. It's connected to whatever circutry that model uses as the dsp, but even if you managed to get code down that deep (I've been unsuccessful with that; cell phones are snobs) you would have to figure out how the regulator is connected and then how to operate it and then find out if it's possible to adjust it enough.

Even worse, the things are a devil to hardware hack, because they use those annoying miniturized all-in-one packages that you can't even begin to understand the pinout of one, because the new chip is proprietary and only exists for that one specific model. (Many models support jtag, or at least the core processors do) I'm not too experienced in this, so maybe there is a better way. I've thought about even piggybacking the signal off another peripheral, but again that would run the issue of just how to get down to the machine code layer. In theory you could flash/flex a driver onto the phone, but I've never met anyone with even a rudimentary idea of how to make one.

I've been working on a Motorola v220, btw. An absolute horid phone two generations behind the market with poor reception and is pointless to hack, as it doesn't even have a decent operating system, and is neigh impossible to unlock without paying for a service. Don't get one if you can help it.

Of course, if you're lucky enough to have a phone with a serial port, then you should have no problem. There a special streaming class in Java specifically for serial ports.

Last edited by Guest on 21 Apr 2006 07:06:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rezek
Better Than You

Calc Guru

Posted: 21 Apr 2006 07:31:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

You'd wanna cary a TI and a Cell Phone with ya?

Just so you can chat on the TI?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 21 Apr 2006 07:32:41 pm    Post subject:

If you place a Schmidt trigger or comparitor between the phone and the calc, it will supply the voltage levels the calc needs to register each bit. Both are extremely small devices that only need 2 inputs and 1 output.

It really only solves one problem because the calc needs to 2 bi-directional ports which is very difficult to get from an audio interface. There's also that deliberate voice echo that is used in GSM phones. If someone had one of this data ports they mention on the forums, it would likely get around the problem. But it would probably require significant hardware and software on the calc end.
benryves

Posted: 24 Apr 2006 10:13:17 am    Post subject:

There is a reason we use modems and don't directly try to send bits over the phone lines, and this is it. You would need to encode the signals into AC before using the calculator link.
Also, the socket on the bottom of mobile phones (Nokia, at least) have in/out. The calculator uses both data lines as in/out (sending a bit is pull one line low, wait for the other to go low, bring the line high, wait for the other to go high - which line you pull low first corresponds to whether the bit is 1 or 0). The calculator has no reliable timing (at least, not in the basic models) so plain serial I/O wouldn't work.
Raster

Posted: 25 Apr 2006 04:07:21 pm    Post subject:

Well, it is a pretty basic consept on how to do this. The calc has only 2 data lines. So we only have to deal with 3 tones (01, 10, and 11). Each calc has a transmitter and a reciver hooked up to it generating and translating these tones. If both calcs were to transmit data at the same time, it would be a problem with the program on the calc, not the circuit, because the calc can not recive and transmit data at the same time. Im sure you can use the standard DTMF tones to generate this. There are 4 extra tones (recognized as A,B,C,D) that are unused by all phones, and are only used in modems. you can use these tones, with no problems at all.

You can find out how DTMF works here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTMF
You can use The NTE1690 for your generator
And, I am having a hard time finding a decoder that has not been discontinued...

Last edited by Guest on 25 Apr 2006 04:08:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Super Speler
Super Awesome Dude

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Apr 2006 11:27:24 am    Post subject:

I was thinking about this and realised something. Cell phones have IM capablities. If you can set your calculator up like that not only would you be able to IM but you could also make the phone except sound giving the calculator sound.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 05:03:51 am    Post subject:

You could also just send a text message to your friends. Every phone now a days can do SMS.

Last edited by Guest on 30 Apr 2006 05:04:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Gottvonallem

Posted: 30 Apr 2006 05:26:43 am    Post subject:

I work with some guys on an WiFi System for the 68Ks.It doesnt work yet but in a half year we are maybe ready and you can make this without an modem or anything like this only with an WLAN-Module which costs 10€ (and its very small 1*2cm)
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement