This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. UTI Members Chat => General Open Topic
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Aug 2003 01:05:55 pm    Post subject:

Why all the ads, I mean 1 or 2 pages (preferablly none, since they're not needed), ok, but half the magazine!?

Last edited by Guest on 04 Aug 2003 01:07:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
IntrnalDsK

Posted: 04 Aug 2003 01:56:00 pm    Post subject:

Seems like a normal magazine to me Razz
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Aug 2003 04:24:32 pm    Post subject:

Normal magazines have a big ad on the back cover and maybe a page or two in the middle and/or beginning of the magazine. If they have any ads at all, the best one's do not have any at all.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Aug 2003 04:24:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
yugniht

Posted: 04 Aug 2003 04:54:51 pm    Post subject:

Plus, how do you expect to get companies to put ads in the magazine?, especially one that has never been done before (calcs). I mean I doubt that they would take the risk. If you pitched the idea of a calc magazine to a publisher, they would laugh in your face. I'm not intending to be mean, I just think that's what would happen. I think we should stick to newsletters.
IntrnalDsK

Posted: 04 Aug 2003 05:39:12 pm    Post subject:

We should probibly stick to news letters, but for the ads we could have ads for programming groups and stuff. We could also have ads and stuff for games... so the ads wouldn't actually ask you to buy anything, more just to fill up space.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 04 Aug 2003 06:21:28 pm    Post subject:

Maybe have the back cover filled with ads for small programming groups that needs members?
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 04 Aug 2003 07:04:29 pm    Post subject:

yeah! ads for UTI and other calc stuff!
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 05 Aug 2003 01:44:34 pm    Post subject:

took you guys long enough to catch on. Yeah the ads could be for new games, groups, and other stuff. That's what was intended. Also, should "pxl-tst" be a section or no? I have no idea if there are things funny enough to put there.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Aug 2003 12:28:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 05 Aug 2003 02:06:11 pm    Post subject:

JACstudios_ceo wrote:
Also, should "pxl-tst" be a section or no? I have no idea if there are things funny enough to put there.

I have no idea what pxl-tst or backspace is, so what would be in it?

EDIT: I could draw a sprite comic thing, if somebody else wants to help with the ideas (I'll draw, someone else thinks of the jokes, or maybe people can post ideas for next weeks joke and I'll see what I can make of it?)

Last edited by Guest on 05 Aug 2003 02:07:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 05 Aug 2003 02:12:22 pm    Post subject:

Backspace is from "PC Magazine" and it's a section on the last page where readers send in funny things that show up on computers. For example: there was an ad for Yahoo DSL where a rocket was shown to be shooting out of a cow's butt. No joke. They also usually add a caption. Then there's all the impossible to read warnings computers will give you. I'll post one for you tomorrow.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Aug 2003 04:00:07 am    Post subject:

Stuff like this?

Anyway what does everyone think of my comic idea?
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 06 Aug 2003 12:22:41 pm    Post subject:

ROFLMFAO

Yes exactly like that.

And the comic idea sounds good, but it doesn't belong in a "backspace-like" section. Maybe in the news section.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 06 Aug 2003 12:36:22 pm    Post subject:

Alright, here's my example:

In the title bar it says "Question"

There is a graphic of a ? on the left of the warning's main message area.

This is what the warning reads: You are about to uninstall Acrobat Reader 5.1. If you uninstall Acrobat Reader 5.1 and have Acrobat 4.0 or higher installed on your system, both Acrobat Reader 5.1 and Acrobat 4.0 and higher will be uninstalled. You will need to reinstall Acrobat. Please make sure you have the setup disk available. Do you wish to continue?

PC mag's caption: What we wish for is some divine guidance before we atempt to figure this one out.

So there you go. If we can find something along those lines for calculators, we'll be in good shape.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Aug 2003 12:53:43 pm    Post subject:

<user presses [on] while testing his basic program>
"huh, error: brake!?"
<user spends hours trying to debug his perfect program>
yugniht

Posted: 06 Aug 2003 01:06:42 pm    Post subject:

You guys can't be serious. I mean, ads are what pays for the magazine. You have to have money to make one and that's where the ads come in. If your going to put ads of your games and groups in there, you're basically saying that you're paying for your own magazine out of your own pocket. You won't even make a profit. Hell, you won't even be able to do the magazine because it costs so much to make one, especially if you don't have any commercial sponsers.

Maybe I take things too seriously and I haven't been able to catch on or something, so I hope you guys are just messing around.
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 06 Aug 2003 07:17:51 pm    Post subject:

I'm with the realist.
Glen
Prokul Interactive

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 07 Aug 2003 03:02:28 am    Post subject:

we can charge other people who wants their ads on the magazine!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Aug 2003 08:09:25 am    Post subject:

yugniht wrote:
You guys can't be serious.  I mean, ads are what pays for the magazine.  You have to have money to make one and that's where the ads come in.  If your going to put ads of your games and groups in there, you're basically saying that you're paying for your own magazine out of your own pocket.  You won't even make a profit.  Hell, you won't even be able to do the magazine because it costs so much to make one, especially if you don't have any commercial sponsers.

Maybe I take things too seriously and I haven't been able to catch on or something, so I hope you guys are just messing around.

I thought someone said we'd be doing the magazine without any costs no our side (digitally) and have people pay to download it.

This way you wouldn't even need ads if nobody paid anything.
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 07 Aug 2003 12:22:22 pm    Post subject:

as I said before, I can get 1 issue printed off for free. Then I just copy it several times and send it out. I'd be paying for the whole thing with subscription cash. That's all the price is for. The point isn't to turn a profit. The point is to provide something enjoyable in print format for the TI community. </emmotional_speech>
Toksyuryel
Crimson Dragon Software

Elite

Posted: 07 Aug 2003 12:24:35 pm    Post subject:

We could charge advertizers a quarter to put their ads in the mag. That would be cheap for them, and we would get enough advert revenue and supcription money to cover production costs.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement