This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Destiny Realm => Your Projects
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Aug 2005 04:17:11 am    Post subject:

So.. i had this idea for making minigames. Basically, a minigame will be part of a quest, and be needed to make progress in that quest, or be a quest of it's own with a reward and such. Minigames are the simple arcade games like snake or chopper, maybe some i think of myself.

It could make this game more original as an RPG, but it could also make the game boring and frustrating if the minigames are too easy or too hard.

It gives me some refreshment in coding this game, but it's more to code so it'll take even longer to make this game and it'll also make the game bigger.

Bah, what a dilemma. What do you guys think?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Aug 2005 04:55:27 am    Post subject:

So long as they are integrated into the storyline, I'd say go for it.

They don't have to be anything complex. For instance, having the player learn and repeat a six-step pattern with unlimited attempts should be fast enough to keep the entertainment value up while not being too distracting from the rest of the action. So in effect, the mini-games shouldn't feel like they are interrupting some important aspect of the story that the player would rather continue on with.

One other mini-game could be simple as searching for a missing (invisible) item that someone had dropped on the ground (in an appropriately-sized room; 12×8 should be small enough) and then handing it back to said person. Mini-games should all be kept reasonably simple; having anything excessively difficult would possibly be tedious and regretful to the player.

Furthermore, to have the outcome of any of these games impacting the actual story (as in causing one unforeseen event to become permanently altered) would personally be somewhat frustrating, as I wouldn't want to go back to see what I might have missed. On the whole, mini-games may very well be a necessary component to break up the otherwise placid consistency of one's playing through the script.

The anticipation of "what's coming next," regardless of the storyline, is always enough to keep me going.
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Aug 2005 07:23:43 am    Post subject:

go for it, if you have enough memory of course. It's always fun to have mini games that give you a prize when you win. In RL3 there was two racing game, a game where you try to jump at the right place high enough to ring a bell (if only PTI liked RL3 I could show a screenshot) and a game where you try to catch stars but try to not go outside the screen because winds dirtection always changed and a press ENTER button quick as u can game. Nothing much original but this might give you ideas Smile
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Aug 2005 07:44:05 am    Post subject:

As long as there would be a direct connection to the player's character, preferabbly as the one involved in the minigame, I'd say yes, otherwise no.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Aug 2005 01:59:37 am    Post subject:

Kevin wrote:
go for it, if you have enough memory of course.[post="54039"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]
Memory is no problem, Destiny Realm is an app. I can always add pages.
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Aug 2005 07:07:38 am    Post subject:

ah fine then, I was wondering in case you are limiting yourself on only 2 or 3 flash pages, like Spencer's Zelda at MaxCoderz Smile
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Aug 2005 07:35:01 am    Post subject:

I kinda wanted to do that, but in the end it's the game that is important, not the amount of memory it takes.

And i don't think the games will take up more than one page anyway.
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Aug 2005 07:39:57 am    Post subject:

leofox wrote:
I kinda wanted to do that, but in the end it's the game that is important, not the amount of memory it takes.[post="54048"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

same here, I hate when ppl complain that some games, especially RPGs sucks because they are too huge because its generally the best ones.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Aug 2005 08:18:19 am    Post subject:

As long as it fits on 1 calc.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 02 Aug 2005 10:04:03 am    Post subject:

Well, there are limits of course. FFTOM2 is just too big (it crashed PTI halfway loading it Sad ). I'd like to have more on my calc than just one third of a game Wink .
DJ Omnimaga

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Aug 2005 05:46:26 pm    Post subject:

well yesah FFTOM1-2 is one case. The one thing I dont like is the fact that u need to go on your computer to download and install teh next chapter. In the process u need to backup your save file before resetting your memory. I always prefer to make my games fit on one calc and if u have to switch to another chapter u just archive/unarchive some programs. Anyone played Illusiat 12? It work in the same way but Illusiat 12 has no ASM programs included with the game. Thats all ASCII characters though and it's not optimised much since it was written 2.5 years ago
http://www.ticalc.org/archives/files/fileinfo/369/36937.html

Last edited by Guest on 02 Aug 2005 05:54:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Babyboy

Advanced Member

Posted: 20 Aug 2005 10:14:40 pm    Post subject:

go for the minigames, think final fantasy 10 and the trial areas. they help, but do consume ram and program time
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement