This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Sonic => Your Projects
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 04:27:15 am    Post subject:

Sonic Music
What's our final consensus on the Sonic music?
If OK, then in what format would it be composed?
MIDI sounds reasonable, but would any module do?
What benefits would it have over a continuous sample?
In what game areas would it be considered most practical?
I've got original goods in the making, so I demand answers!

- Gewce Wink

Last edited by Guest on 25 Nov 2005 12:06:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 02:28:09 pm    Post subject:

That's some quality MODtracking, Goose. Congrats Smile
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 03:39:16 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Brazucs! :)

In case of anyone wondering, my music will be written in a .mod format, something that I've worked in for three years. A .mod (music module) is technically a MIDI file (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) that supports its own wavetable and thus doesn't have to rely on GM.dls (a.k.a. Roland SoundCanvas) or other such localized sound banks to sound properly, or have any sound at all.

If you're fairly knowledgeable about this sort of thing, then you'll know that means people don't have to worry about the instruments sounding differently on every machine. Since I'll be showcasing these files as .mp3 for the time being, that really shouldn't matter at this point. Also, since music modules have more [sound] channels and functions (portamentos, offsets, pattern jumps, etc.) than a MIDI file does, backward conversions are only a slight issue.

The music above only took me three–four hours to complete, but I can only do so when inspiration kicks in. I'll just have to study what music I have in order to keep myself sharp. In brief, I shouldn't have any trouble staying in step with the rest of this project. ;)

[EDIT]

FYI, I have no clue how Sonic music sounds. So, this will most certainly be original. Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 13 Jul 2005 01:09:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 03:57:06 pm    Post subject:

Very cool. That kind of sounded like a desert level song to me, I don't know why.

Anyway, this site has just about every Sonic soundtrack, so you can listed to a few songs and see how they sound. I would suggest listening to Sonic 1 (both Genesis and Game Gear), Sonic 2 (Genesis), Sonic 3 & Knuckles, and Sonic CD (Both Japanese and American soundtracks) for some inspiration. Those titles had the best music. The Sonic and Knuckles Remix soundtrack has some higher quality and extended versions of some of the Sonic 3 & Knuckles songs, so you should check that out too.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jul 2005 03:58:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 04:14:12 pm    Post subject:

Grr... Game Spy... File Planet... Mad
I have other sources, which I'm positive I'll be using now.
Thanks for the recommendations, however. They'll be very useful.
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 04:52:05 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I hate fileplanet too, but it's the only site I could think of. You could instead download a GYM plagin for Winamp and get the gym files extracted from the Genesis games here. Same goes for the Game Gear VGM files.

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jul 2005 04:52:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 11 Jul 2005 06:24:36 pm    Post subject:

I now have everything I need, so I can officially get started!
By the way, a search for MODPlug Tracker returns this page...

MODPlug Tracker - The Sonic Spot

This is a very strange coincidence! Maybe it's destiny. :biggrin:
You know the software I use, so try it out for yourselves!

Last edited by Guest on 11 Jul 2005 06:28:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jul 2005 04:27:15 am    Post subject:

Yep, I haven't worked on it lately, but I'm trying to some up with a way to simulate analog sound and hopefully make instruments distinguishable. It will require some PC programming.

If you want to check out some Sonic music or just get a feel for the styles they've used I have to some links from my favorites list below. Ice Cap Zone [either act] is probably the most popular and most re-mixed level song. Sonic 1-3 and S&K all had cutting-edge music if you ask me. Sonic CD [J version] has some good stuff in its 1st and final levels (the boss theme is pretty darned weird).

* Teamartail.com
* Sonic Stadium
* Re-mixed Sonic Song Theories

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jul 2005 04:33:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jul 2005 03:17:07 pm    Post subject:

Noting the classic style of music (sample modulation) as compared to real instruments, I have decided to ask your opinion on what we should expect to hear in this game. One might be easier to program for than the other... So take your pick: Nostalgic or Progressive?
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Jul 2005 04:36:21 pm    Post subject:

The number of instruments will depend on how many distinct amplitudes we can produce through the linkport. So far there are only 2, so everything sounds like a harsh buzz. I'm trying to expand this to around 4 or 8, with software only.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jul 2005 04:40:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 23 Jul 2005 10:02:10 pm    Post subject:

UpdateSonic Chip!
(Converted to .mp3)

It's amazing what you can do with four channels of sound!

I'll admit, though, that you'll have to hear it at least twice through to get in its groove.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Nov 2005 12:03:52 am; edited 1 time in total
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Jul 2005 04:08:49 am    Post subject:

That's awesome! I still can't believe you can make a calc do this..
Brazucs
I have no idea what my avatar is.

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 25 Jul 2005 07:04:15 am    Post subject:

Most I've ever gotten was two: left and right.
How are ya gonna get four, goose?

Quote:
hat's awesome! I still can't believe you can make a calc do this..
lol... everyone calls me a nerd when they see me plugging in my headphones into the calc :biggrin:

Last edited by Guest on 25 Jul 2005 07:05:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Raiser

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 25 Jul 2005 10:51:36 pm    Post subject:

I too am surprised that the calc can do that, especially with the horrible static I've gotten in other sound related apps.

That song sounded familliar, but I don't believe I've heard it before. Nonetheless, it was definately in the style of Sonic music. Good job!

(Can you do Bridge Zone from S1GG next?)

Last edited by Guest on 25 Jul 2005 10:52:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 26 Jul 2005 12:51:56 am    Post subject:

I apologize for the misunderstanding... The chip tune you heard was not implemented on the calc, but through the program I showed you earlier. I have no knowledge on how to make calculator music, or even how it actually works for that matter. It may sound selfish, but I absolutely need others to help in that regard. For now, I'm just a composer...

Quote:
Can you do Bridge Zone from S1GG next?

Are you asking me to recreate the song as it was in the game? No, I'd prefer to make a new piece, and, as it was agreed upon somewhat in IRC, the music should be original while keeping the classic gaming style. Essentially, I just wouldn't feel right copying other people's works! Very Happy
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Jul 2005 01:31:54 am    Post subject:

Aw man, my high school buddy --who's an even bigger Sonic fan than me--just bought the Mega Collection Plus for PS2. Basically it had every U.S. Sonic game released between 1990 and 1997 or so. Like old times! :biggrin:

Anyway, I'll be reworking the sound converter this fall. It'll be heck getting it not to interfere with my grade like it did, but it can be done. 'Going over some QBASIC tutorials for it this month.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement