This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Contra 83 => Your Projects
United-TI Archives -> Contra 83

» Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Nov 2004 08:35:04 pm    Post subject:

The emails have been sent guys.

Look out for them and begin testing. Use this open forum to post comments or bugs that you may encounter so I can see how much you guys enjoy It.

I made this topic public so everyone can see how the process is going on Contra and can see the testers reaction to the game.

I hope to hear some feedback from the testers very soon...

Just so you know the testers are:

MadSkillz
Jedd
DarthAndroid
Alex Snyder
ISUCK
BlueFire
ISUCK

Posted: 07 Nov 2004 09:33:53 pm    Post subject:

you'll be happy to know that I'm transfering to my calc right now :D

EDIT: After playing some few minutes, I noticed a bug.. and it is reproducable:

I started out playing and died on the second screen, so being the life monger i am, I go back to the main menu to restart my game on easy, but instead of starting out on the 2nd screen instead of the first... this is with every frame.. able to reproduce that is.

EDIT EDIT: btw when you exit and restart, you can start a new game correctly

Last edited by Guest on 07 Nov 2004 10:30:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Nov 2004 10:29:54 pm    Post subject:

* Bug Fixed

GJ ISUCK!!

Lol cant believe I missed that Smile
ISUCK

Posted: 08 Nov 2004 12:18:37 am    Post subject:

also, i was wondering if you could do anything about the pauses, because pressing enter when your in a gameboy position is somewhat weird, but it's only a very minor thing in my opinion...

man this game rules!

EDIT: also i have a question, when i save and reload, my score is reset, was this intentional or a bug?

EDIT EDIT: ok, i was at the second to last screen on the first level, and I get killed by a rocket launcher dude...now being what i am I reload, going back to the previouscreen (i saved there) and as the screen was finishsed being drawn, it gave me a error: nonreal ans... when i look at the graphscreen the player has not been drawn yet... so... wait... my predicitions wer correct, the problem i think is already in the save file... boo hoo Sad so something must have gone wrong in the saving of the file..

EDIT EDIT EDIT: oh yea, do you want me to send you the save file too see what got put in incorreclty and caused the glitch?

also, is it also intentional that you must restart the screen even if you saved and had no enemies beforehand?

sorry if i'm asking too many questions Very Happy

Last edited by Guest on 08 Nov 2004 12:30:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Nov 2004 07:52:56 am    Post subject:

Quote:
also, i was wondering if you could do anything about the pauses, because pressing enter when your in a gameboy position is somewhat weird, but it's only a very minor thing in my opinion...

In the menus, you should be able to press enter or second to make a selection. Very Happy

Quote:
also, is it also intentional that you must restart the screen even if you saved and had no enemies beforehand?

Yes it is instentional, It made it alot easier on me to make it save only the frame you were on. I would of had to make some weird mods to the level load
Quote:
EDIT: also i have a question, when i save and reload, my score is reset, was this intentional or a bug?

With that being said that is not a bug. If you save with a score of 2500 and you killed 2 enemies then when you reload and start from beginning, your score would be 0. (nme = 1225 on easy) See? Very Happy Very Happy

Quote:
EDIT EDIT: ok, i was at the second to last screen on the first level, and I get killed by a rocket launcher dude...now being what i am I reload, going back to the previouscreen (i saved there) and as the screen was finishsed being drawn, it gave me a error: nonreal ans... when i look at the graphscreen the player has not been drawn yet... so... wait... my predicitions wer correct, the problem i think is already in the save file... boo hoo  so something must have gone wrong in the saving of the file..

EDIT EDIT EDIT: oh yea, do you want me to send you the save file too see what got put in incorreclty and caused the glitch?

I do not know this occurence in any way. I have never encountered it before. When did it happen? When you hit the graph screen what was on it? Water? Land? NMEs? Mines? Weapon Ups? I just neeed to know where it glitched on so ?I can fix that loading code. If you find thatout for me, I should be able to figure out bug w/o needing the save file. Very Happy

once again gj, your testing the crap outta it!! Very Happy
ISUCK

Posted: 08 Nov 2004 05:03:23 pm    Post subject:

Uh... I recall it being on land, with all enemies killed on the 2nd to last frame (boss being the last)

Everything was drawn except the character, I'm having trouble getting this to work again, and my save file is somehow gone Neutral

Sorry about that, I'll get back to testing Smile
Madskillz

Posted: 08 Nov 2004 08:34:02 pm    Post subject:

Ok...if you press down are you suppose to fall down through the floor? Also you can go through the walls an enter inside of the walls...(occured in frame 3)Once you blow up the mines, are they supposed to reappear? Those are the only things I could find wrong so far! Good work though! The menu and installing work beautiful!
ISUCK

Posted: 08 Nov 2004 11:55:47 pm    Post subject:

the floor/wall thing has been present in a previous build too, i think it's just how the engine is set up.

and also now that the installation is brought up, since there rae 2 install f iles could you make it so that when you finish one file of the install, it fills up the whole bar, as to not confuzzle people?

also, the 1st level boss seems harder than before... i lost like 2 continues...
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Nov 2004 07:46:23 am    Post subject:

Quote:
the floor/wall thing has been present in a previous build too, i think it's just how the engine is set up.

Yeah your right ISUCK. That is just the way the enigne is. I would not have enough speed to make sure that the person could not go through walls. I had no way of differentiating between jumping through the floor and jumping through the wall. But its because of this that Contra runs as fast as it does. I still think it makes the game very strategic Very Happy

Quote:
Once you blow up the mines, are they supposed to reappear?

It depends oon how they reappeared. Did you save and reload and they were back? or did they just come back out of no where?

ISUCK, Im still trying to get that bug to come up by reinacting what you said happened, however so far no error comes up Sad
axcho

Posted: 09 Nov 2004 01:52:44 pm    Post subject:

So, besides for the spelling errors in the readme story, I've found one bug so far. It is reproducible. I started by loading the game in slot 2 right after I installed contra, before playing a new game or anything. Then if I shoot the first enemy (leftmost on second screen), the bullets are drawn and then I get an ERR: NONREAL ANS. Everything else happens as it should. This error only happens in slot 2, not slot 3. I have not tried slot 1, since I had saved a game on that before I could test out that slot. I think the bug has to do with the pre-existing level data for slot 2 that is created when you first install the game. I haven't seen any other bugs on slot 2 (or slot 3 or 1), but I didn't go past the second screen so I'm not sure if there are any more.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Nov 2004 02:03:54 pm    Post subject:

Wouldn't help if you told where the error is, you know, by selecting goto?
Madskillz

Posted: 09 Nov 2004 05:22:04 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
It depends oon how they reappeared. Did you save and reload and they were back? or did they just come back out of no where?

I mean like after you step on them and they blow up, killing you. Are they suppose to reappear when you start the frame again?

I do actually like being able to go through walls and floors! It is fun, finding out different ways to complete the frame/level! Laughing As you said, strategy is nice! Smile

Also...everything on dealing with highscores (screen, entering text, everything) works great!

Quote:
Wouldn't help if you told where the error is, you know, by selecting goto?

-Ok...i don't wanna start anything, but just thought I should point it out. You can't edit his code or go into his code. Because he has "protected" his code, so you cant view it. Unless you do it on the comp. That was why he couldn't tell you where the error was. I think, correct me if I am wrong Bryan or axcho.
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Nov 2004 10:39:01 pm    Post subject:

Ok

It seems that the NON-REAL ANSWER error is happening to more then one person so it is a glitch. I will reproduce it the way Alex told me and hope to fix it. It is most likely a missed or incorrect number in the premade save file.

Quote:
I mean like after you step on them and they blow up, killing you. Are they suppose to reappear when you start the frame again?

No they are not. In my view it would of been un-realistic to make the mines reappear when in real life if you explode a mine; it is gone forever. In a way mines are sometimes hard but if you hit enough of them it will make a frame a little bit easier to get passed after alot of mines have been exploded. If they are reappearing; then thats definetely something wrong with the game. Hopefully they are not Sad

Quote:
Also...everything on dealing with highscores (screen, entering text, everything) works great!

Ok good. Im very glad to hear that b/c I used some very advanced code to make that 9 list high scores work the way they do. I really liked how everything turned out and how it handled ties and overall presentation of the high scores. Glad you like it !! Very Happy

I will get working on that bug. Very Happy
ISUCK

Posted: 10 Nov 2004 12:09:00 am    Post subject:

i though t i posted this but maybe axcho's and mine errors are related Neutral

anyway, since i'm leaving conquer online alone (letting people train me, mighty fun game) I'm gonna test contra... I'm going to save on other slots, to see if nething happens

btw, those scores seem a bit low, you need only to beat a few screens to get number 1 rank, maybe raise highscores?

Last edited by Guest on 10 Nov 2004 12:10:40 am; edited 1 time in total
axcho

Posted: 10 Nov 2004 02:58:01 pm    Post subject:

So the bug I found only happens if you load the pre-existing slot 2 game. But I also ran into the problem with saving the game when I'm in the second-to-last screen on level 1. If I try to load, then before it draws my character, I get an error. I don't know if this is with all slots or just slot 1.
shadowing