This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Contra 83 => Your Projects
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 02:02:10 pm    Post subject:

Well guys I just finished level 4 and now I have levels 1-5 all done. I must say they look awesome. Every frame has a theme. For example level 3 was a cavern. My favorite level out of them all so far is level 3. It is the most unique and realistic looking frame out of them all.

But me and andrew have big plans for level 6. We plan to make it resemble a dungeon/castle. Which fits perfectly into a classic last level theme Smile. We have been thinking about this level for a long time and we want to make sure that the level is perfectly designed. This means that level 6 will most likely be the longest level to make. But its worth the wait.

But as Contra comes to being finished I am torn between two possibilities.
1. I can finish contra and release it as a platform/action game with no story
2. I can add a story to contra to pull in the reader a bit more and deapen the gameplay.

Adding a storyline would not be to hard, all I would need is a string and some dialogue code, and thats it. The story would not be to in depth just a story so the player has a bit more purpose to play the game.

So the question is, should I add a storyline to contra? or leave it as is?

Heres a sample of level 4 Very Happy
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 02:22:46 pm    Post subject:

no storyline. it will make it easier to make the levels
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 04:01:55 pm    Post subject:

No storyline. I rarely pay attention to those anyway. :D

Spyderbyte
b__

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 04:42:48 pm    Post subject:

I usually pay attention to storylines, but not on calculator games (they usually have stupid story lines).
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 05:21:31 pm    Post subject:

Unless it's a really indepth RPG don't bother with a story of more than 2 sentences. Something along the lines of "there's bad guys, you kill them." will do the trick. : )
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 05:24:49 pm    Post subject:

If someone makes their own level, could you make it so they could add a storyline in the form of a short message every level or so?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 05:26:24 pm    Post subject:

You'll just get "you have to kill all the baddies" or "whoop some a, yo!" all the time.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Jul 2004 05:27:15 pm    Post subject:

Why? A short message would be fun.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 02 Jul 2004 12:37:07 pm    Post subject:

Hmm, I think it should have a small story line, but not as in-depth as an RPG. Do something simple like in most arcade games (even Mario---rescue the princess). So at the beginning you could say something stupid like "you have been chosen to (insert goal here)..." or something like that. Then when you get through all the levels, it says something like "you have completed your mission! Now the land of (something) is free from the (somethings)!" You get the idea.

-J
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Jul 2004 08:07:14 pm    Post subject:

Well thats exactly what I was thinking Jedd. My whole idea was to have it that your brother was kidnapped by some evil dude Very Happy and you have to save him and kill the enemy. It would be simple, but also true to original contra b/c is contra 2 players it was supposed to be you and your brother.

I dont know what Im going to do just yet, but I cant wait till I get the level editor done, as I think of it right now, I realize that a full level editor wont take to much time to make. All I need to do is alter my current frame editor a bit, and It should be done. It really is a cool utility. After I made the editor, it like tripled my level making, and is the reason contra is being released as early as it is. who knows, hopefully Ill finish the level editor intime for the main release Very Happy

But I will keep you guys updated on what I plan to do. But thanks for your input on those subjects.
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Jul 2004 03:42:13 pm    Post subject:

Hey Guys,

I have finished level 6 and I must say it looks AWESOME!! I cant show you the level b/c I want it to be a surprise and I do not wanna spoil the level. I have decided to add a story. But dont worry Its not gonna be throughout the whole game, just when you create a new game and when u defeat the final boss. The story is actually written now and I like the way it turned out. Im now going with a whole zelda type deal, where the person has to make a game and insert initials. That way when you save a game it will be on your own guy. Im also adding a quicksave feature that will save ur progress but will not update ur main file, just incase u make a huge mistake when playing. Its gonna be awesome

All I have to do now is work on a final boss and finish level editor, but all seems like its going well and I should be able to make the September 6th deadline. Very Happy
Calvin#1

Posted: 09 Jul 2004 09:33:03 am    Post subject:

Dude, I can't wait to play Contra!!! Smile It's BASIC right? Even though it's a BASIC game it is still really awesome! I hope you release it soon.

BTW, some new screenies might be nice! Very Happy
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Jul 2004 12:33:04 pm    Post subject:

Yeah its BASIC, pure BASIC. No ASM utilities at alll YAY! Very Happy

Im glad your looking forward to it, I recently got a bad review for the demo at calcgames.org it really ticked my off seeing as how the guy who rated it is a complete noob Sad I guess people dont understand that the AI is not exactly easy to program. The AI supports up to unlimited enemies. Meaning 50 nmes on a screen, would run the same speed as 1 nme on a screen. Its really cool, and without it contra would not be fast at all. But they act as if its poor AI. !!!UMMMM unlimited enemy support that doesnt effect speed is poor AI!!!! Mad Sorry lol it just kinda makes me mad how people say stuff like that. I could easily make the AI extrememly powerful, but they would always beat you, so I have a
randint(1-5) for the AI. If I lower it the AI gets stronger. But seriously the AI would be to powerful if it was always checked in a loop Very Happy SO BOOOYAH!! Very Happy

and since u asked nicely heres some random screenshots (cant show u level 6, its a surprise Very Happy )

What ya think?

Last edited by Guest on 09 Jul 2004 12:41:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 Jul 2004 01:52:30 pm    Post subject:

The boss looks like an administrator-with-a-cane-for-a-body-from-hell.. I like it.
Calvin#1

Posted: 09 Jul 2004 04:07:21 pm    Post subject:

*drool* Very nice Bryan! Very Happy Contra sure will be one awesome BASIC game! That's really cool how your AI is programmed and the fact that you are using no ASM utils is really awesome too! Wink
Bryan Thomas
Outer Limit Software

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Jul 2004 11:30:31 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The boss looks like an administrator-with-a-cane-for-a-body-from-hell.. I like it.

ahahahahahahhah!! it does look like a giant evil cane!!!

Quote:
*drool* Very nice Bryan!  Contra sure will be one awesome BASIC game! That's really cool how your AI is programmed and the fact that you are using no ASM utils is really awesome too! 

Thanks Calvin, you have once again motivated me. When I get bad feedback, it usually makes me mad, and I stop working on the game for a day or two. For some reason I am so affected by the way others percieve my games. Sad All i need is little compliments to get me back on track Very Happy Thnx, haha

Yeah I had to sacrifice about 500 bytes to make it pure BASIC, but in my view its better then using an ASM util. In my view its cheating using an ASM util, why use what somebody else programmed in one of your programs to make yours better lol. To me its cheating, which is why I do not hold such high praise to people like Hitoshi, who miles well program in ASM, b/c its filled with SOO many ASM utils and hacks Smile But hey thats just my opinion, ASM utils really do allow for awesome BASIC games, but Ill never turn my back on pure BASIC :D

w00t I jusst got rid of a byte YES!!!
ISUCK

Posted: 10 Jul 2004 01:12:08 am    Post subject:

That looks AWESOME... I just wish you didn't set up a release date and torment us Very Happy
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement