This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
DZ007

Posted: 11 Feb 2004 10:45:05 pm    Post subject:

Hello all. I just wrote this program which can solve any degree polynomial equation. Even though it can find the right roots and all, there seems to be a error that causes it to include wrong answers as well. Basically, it uses the Rational Root Theorem to find all the possible roots and then inputs these possibilities into the equation to find the correct solutions. Is there anybody here who is good with both TI-83 basic and math that can help me with this?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

P.S. I tried to paste the code here but it doesn't seem to be able to display it properly. Is there anyway for me to post the program here?
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 12 Feb 2004 12:11:55 am    Post subject:

Sounds like that would be a complicated program. Obviously there would be muliple answers, since you would have to find all the roots and then calculate p/q for every value of p and q. Just make sure you are allowing all the number to be either negative or positive, then solve for all of the possible fractions (p/q). If you have any more questions, I will probably need to see your code. When you post your program, the computer doesn't recognize symbols like the [STO->] key and what not, you will have to go through and change it by hand. Most people use ->.

Oh and welcome to UTI. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 12 Feb 2004 12:37:54 am; edited 1 time in total
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 12 Feb 2004 12:51:25 am    Post subject:

If you have an 83 Plus, then you'd probably want to download TI's flash app that can solve polynomials. Otherwise, you'll probably need to post your code. But it does seem like a rather ambitious program you're writing. Hope it works!
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Feb 2004 10:31:44 pm    Post subject:

I'm assuming the weird problems are the dotted u for -> and such? If so, you can either paste it into notepad and run a find and replace, or just paste it. (Although when the entire program is mostly based on symbols for equations, it'd be a good idea to keep them straight. I recomnend the notepad option.)

Spyderbyte
Jeremiah Walgren
General Operations Director

Know-It-All

Posted: 16 Feb 2004 12:32:41 am    Post subject:

That's usually how it works. There are other such letters for various symbols. That seems to happen only when a program code is copied into a text editor or something.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement