This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Awesome1

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Jan 2004 07:28:49 pm    Post subject:

I can make basic BASIC programs, but i would like to make a shell that displays all of the basic programs in the archive and the ram, also i want to make it that it can play archived and unarchived programs. I have no idea where to start and i looked at like the source of one basic shell and couldn't understand some of it.
Can someone(s) help me make the shell and explain how it works and such? I will give more than reasonable amount of credit...

Sincerely,
Awesome1

Last edited by Guest on 28 Jan 2004 07:29:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
omni

Posted: 28 Jan 2004 07:54:52 pm    Post subject:

chances are that they used some ASM utlities to accompany the basic program. I am pretty sure that it is near impossible to create what you just said entirely in BASIC. That and it would probably run slow if it were in BASIC. ASM is the way to go if you want to make a shell.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 28 Jan 2004 08:07:07 pm    Post subject:

Basic shells are slow, large, and do almost nil (a select few actually look good after the graphix load) by themselves. without the help of asm, you cannot run programs (unless they are hard-coded), list programs, archive programs, etc.

*thinks for a moment*

maybe if DragonOS comes along smooth enough and enough ppl pester me, i might add a few parser hooks...
Fr0sty

Posted: 28 Jan 2004 09:42:20 pm    Post subject:

Is that how you got so many posts Darth? Wink
Lol. Yeah it's true, you can't automatically name programs unless you use at least SOME ASM. You can't Unarchive/Archive/Delete without SOME ASM. ASM is your friend, use it like I should. If you don't, you could end up like me. Neutral
Awesome1

Advanced Member

Posted: 28 Jan 2004 11:11:57 pm    Post subject:

It makes sence to use asm in a basic prog to make it run efficiently but the problem is i have no experience with assembly programming and with school and regents and s**t, i don't have time to learn asm...But i figures it would be possible to make a basic shell for basic programs, Whether or not they get moved from archive to ram to run...

e-mail:
awesum1@rochester.rr.com >incase someone wants to assist me in trying to make a basic shell to run basic programs...

Cool awesome1 Cool
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 07:53:45 am    Post subject:

Fr0sty wrote:
Is that how you got so many posts Darth?  Wink

Fixed. :)

Quote:
But i figures it would be possible to make a basic shell for basic programs, Whether or not they get moved from archive to ram to run...
It's simply impossible to archive/unarchive/remove/copy programs, or display all the programs in the ram/archive/whatever in pure basic. You can run programs from basic programs, but only if you actually have the program's name in your source code.

prgmGAME works,

"GAME"->Str1
prgmStr1

Doesn't.
Awesome1

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 10:16:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
prgmGAME works,

"GAME"->Str1
prgmStr1

Doesn't

How do you run the program thats stored on the string? Also coudn't you make a program that adds program to program string? But makes me ask another question---> How could u store the name of a multiple names on a single string?
I was reading something else about finding specific words or letters in a string...

Last edited by Guest on 29 Jan 2004 10:26:11 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 10:36:27 am    Post subject:

Awesome1 wrote:
How do you run the program thats stored on the string?

I was reading something else about finding specific words or letters in a string...

Can't without Asm.

Quote:
Also coudn't you make a program that adds program to program string?

You could: "prgm"+Str1->Str1. Wouldn't do any good though.
Quote:
But makes me ask another question---> How could u store the name of a multiple names on a single string?

You'd add a character, such as "," that you can't have in a program name, then add the next program's name. To find the programs, you could use inString( and sub(.
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 10:38:04 am    Post subject:

Quote:
How do you run the program thats stored on the string?
You don't,

Quote:
prgmGAME works,

"GAME"->Str1
prgmStr1

Doesn't

Quote:
Also coudn't you make a program that adds program to program string? But makes me ask another question---> How could u store the name of a multiple names on a single string?
Sorry, but I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 02:32:33 pm    Post subject:

if you want an asm utility that rund Str0, hunt for ZRun on ticalc.org. it will run any basic/nostub asm program, archived or unarchived
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 02:37:57 pm    Post subject:

And what happends if you give that program a name to run that doesn't exist?
Fr0sty

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 09:47:02 pm    Post subject:

If you're talking about on a BASIC shell, I'd assume it'd say Err: Version or something. I can't think of an error message that fitted so I used the Version one.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 10:20:19 pm    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
And what happends if you give that program a name to run that doesn't exist?

it just returns to the basic program. it isnt asif some bum off the street came and programmed this...it was done well. if you specify a archived prog, it doesnt unarchive it. it copies it to prgmN141, executes it, then deletes prgmN141. if you have a prog in prgmN141, tough. i might change it so that it uses a hidden prgm...
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 29 Jan 2004 10:23:34 pm    Post subject:

Fr0sty wrote:

is what how i got so many posts? i am just on all then time (nearly). when someone posts, i and usually one of the first to reply, assuming i have something to contribute to the thread.
i admit that there were times when me and someone nearly turned the forums into a chat room. Neutral
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 08:24:14 am    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:
Fr0sty wrote:

is what how i got so many posts? i am just on all then time (nearly). when someone posts, i and usually one of the first to reply, assuming i have something to contribute to the thread.
i admit that there were times when me and someone nearly turned the forums into a chat room. Neutral

He was referring to a triple post (just the same thing 3 times, something must've gone wrong) from you, which I removed (note the Fixed comment from me).
Awesome1

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 10:39:35 pm    Post subject:

Ok, understood, but is it possible to make a basic shell? What about that program Codex? Coudn't u make a basic program run off a small asm program like codex?
what about filequark? thats written in basic and can display basic programs. I wanna make something like that only just lists the name of the programs on the ram and can run them...
Fr0sty

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 11:06:50 pm    Post subject:

BASIC Shell but has ASM on the inside. You can prolly make a BASIC Shell, but not many people would use it unless you SOMEHOW make a good one that is better than ASM which would be hard to believe. You have to use ASM any way you look at it to make a shell.
Awesome1

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 11:18:25 pm    Post subject:

But i can't program assembly... And i don't know anyone that can, so i guess im SOL, darn, now again. Thanx for the help people. Unless someone has the currage to try and teach me asm...

If you want to give it a shot e-mail me at: awesum1@rochester.rr.com

Just for a reference,
i know what asm is...
i have seen the source, but it's like looking at japanese to me
I can figure out what some parts are doing, like the
477800030---------}like that stuff for the animations or characters
00038747F
but thats about it...lol
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 Jan 2004 11:49:57 pm    Post subject:

1) i know asm
2) that is compiled asm (come to think of it, that isnt animations or characters. that would be about enough code to turn the runindicator off and clear the screen. it would also crash your calculator, as there is no "ret" (C9)). the source looks like this:

Code:
ld a,e
sub d
add hl,hl
add hl,hl
bcall(_htimesl)
call ionfastcopy
ret

3) i do not have the time right now to teach it to you
4) if you look in the asm forum, there is a thread called "GOOD Asm Tutorials". i suggest you try there

5) i think what happened was that i tried to post and it sent the post data to the server, but took forever to return me to the page, so i clicked stop, then clicked on post again. etc. sorry if i caused any inconvinience, and DANG! Arcwiz is a fast mod....

Last edited by Guest on 30 Jan 2004 11:58:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Jan 2004 05:07:54 am    Post subject:

Darth Android wrote:
5) i think what happened was that i tried to post and it sent the post data to the server, but took forever to return me to the page, so i clicked stop, then clicked on post again. etc.

Yeah, it's also been happening to me lately. But I just check if it's been double posted if something like that happends, and if it doesn't I still heck my post at least once.
Quote:
sorry if i caused any inconvinience
No problemo.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement