This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 23 Dec 2003 09:28:06 pm    Post subject:

There may have already been a topic like this one. If so, please send me the link.

I'm sure everyone has noticed that when you press any of the arrow keys in a game, the program keeps sensing that it is pressed and GetKey senses the input. If you havent read in the other forum, DEL and the arrow keys are the only keys that do this. You may have also noticed that it waits a little while after the first press to continuously sense that key. Here's an example of what is going on during a game:

-No movement
-User presses and holds right arrow key
-Object on screen moves right
-No movement*
-No movement*
-No movement*
-User lets go of right arrow key
-No movement

You get idea. So after the user presses and holds the key the first time, why does it take a few loops of the program (*) to continuously move right? Does anyone know any way to prevent this so it responds right away???
Fr0sty

Posted: 23 Dec 2003 11:17:43 pm    Post subject:

Why it does that? I guess it's just TI's way of making sure you meant to do that; some calculators are "looser" than others btw (their arrows move faster). How to fix it? Use ASM's getkey.
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 23 Dec 2003 11:26:36 pm    Post subject:

I thought you might say that. I'm so frusterated with BASIC, I guess that's the next step. Too bad it's almost impossible on a Mac.
Fr0sty

Posted: 24 Dec 2003 01:06:48 am    Post subject:

Lol sorry, i'm TI-Basic all the way myself, ASM's too complicated for my feeble mind right now.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 24 Dec 2003 01:59:49 pm    Post subject:

Jedd wrote:
I thought you might say that.  I'm so frusterated with BASIC, I guess that's the next step.  Too bad it's almost impossible on a Mac.

You could email someone so they would assemble a program for you...
Jedd
1980 Pong World Champion

Elite

Posted: 25 Dec 2003 12:02:44 am    Post subject:

I have another question kinda like the original.... is there anyway to input 2 key presses at once? Like press up and right at the same time and actually have the program sense that they are both pressed?
Spyderbyte

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Dec 2003 02:27:19 pm    Post subject:

Sorry, ASM again. If you asked someone veeeeeeeeery nicely, they might write you a program that returns two keys. I think Jbirk was thinking along the lines of 21.105 for 2nd Enter, and you could use fpart( and Ipart( to get the two key presses.

Spyderbyte
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 29 Dec 2003 02:58:07 pm    Post subject:

Jup, better ask in the asm forum if anybody has such a routine ready or is willing to write one for oyu.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Dec 2003 07:09:51 pm    Post subject:

Spyderbyte wrote:
Sorry, ASM again.  If you asked someone veeeeeeeeery nicely, they might write you a program that returns two keys.  I think Jbirk was thinking along the lines of 21.105 for 2nd Enter, and you could use fpart( and Ipart( to get the two key presses.

Spyderbyte

24.25 + 26.34i. That'll give you 4 keys.

Or a program that waits for key input, then returns the asm getkey result in Ans.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement