This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 03:14:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Jeff makes a good point. And age is fleeting thing. Although wisdom expands with age, wise men are not wise all the time. While you may be one of the oldest here AlienCC --I have little reason to doubt this-- , birthright alone doesn't give any man free pass to go roaming about patronizing follow board members and thier opinions. Challenge ideas because of your experience. Challange ideas because of your education. But don't challange ideas simply because "I was born first!" Of course, everyone here is free to express thier ideas anyway they please. But hiding behind birthdates and calanders is counterproductive to say the least...and cowardly to say the most.

I don't remember being the one to bring up my age, revealing my age, nor do I remember hiding behind it, and I do explicitly remember saying that it wasn't important (scroll up). So I ask, why are you attacking me for something of which I did not?

Maybe you didn't notice but I am extremely tolerant of posts, perhaps more so then I should be. It may do you some good to judge me based on things I Have done, rather then one post you Mis-read, which happened to only be a reply to another's question. Or perhaps a better idea altogether, judge not regardless your judge.

Your answer to my question will be much appreciated.

--AlienCC
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 12:53:58 pm    Post subject:

AlienCC wrote:
I don't remember being the one to bring up my age, revealing my age, nor do I remember hiding behind it, and I do explicitly remember saying that it wasn't important (scroll up). So I ask, why are you attacking me for something of which I did not?
--AlienCC

You are the one who brought up the topic of my age in the first place, which regretfully started this discussion. If you say age doesn't matter, then why does my age matter?
I'd like to forget about conversation on the topic of age and the value of opinions. If I have insulted you, please remember that you are not blameless either.

Back to the topic of words and power. When you talk about the topic of truth, whose truth do you mean? The suicide bombers in Iraq had their truth too.
Darth Android
DragonOS Dev Team

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 01:10:12 pm    Post subject:

AlienCC, the post was not directed at you, but newbie. he was requesting your age (scroll up). i thank you for being tolerant of our (UTI's) posts and hope that never leaves you.

Dragons forgive mistakes

Last edited by Guest on 18 Dec 2003 01:13:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlienCC
Creative Receptacle!

Know-It-All

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 02:07:47 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Back to the topic of words and power. When you talk about the topic of truth, whose truth do you mean? The suicide bombers in Iraq had their truth too.

When I speak of truth, I am referring to ultimate or eternal truth, not the worldly truth which is more often then not theories by scientists. The truth of which I speak is a very delicate thing, and can only be known to be true by the heart. Yes they did have their truth, however they lack the complete truth which is a great deal of the problem.

This is my last post in this thread.

--AlienCC
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 03:40:03 pm    Post subject:

I wanted to post 'This sucks.' but that would have been too short.

I'm also starting to get the feeling the new people here are a lot less mature than I thought at first, and political topics are to be avoided on this forum. Sadly.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Dec 2003 03:41:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 04:09:03 pm    Post subject:

you should have had an option of "a combination of all of these"
Jeffrey

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 04:23:59 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Arcane Wizard. If all we are going to do is deconstructively argue about political topics, then there should be no more topics on politics. Everyone has their opinion, we all know that, and trying to explain it won't "convert" others to it.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 04:37:02 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I don't remember being the one to bring up my age, revealing my age, nor do I remember hiding behind it, and I do explicitly remember saying that it wasn't important (scroll up).

While you weren't the first to bring up your own age, you did raise the issue when you accused Sir Robin of being too opinionated for one so young. Being somewhat of a youngster myself, I felt this comment was needlessly divisive. Naturally, I realize that this is not a wholesale reflection of you as a person, and I'm sure we'd agree on other issues. To clarify, I'm only attacking behaviors here, not people.

Quote:

This question is probably the basis of every war. The problem with seeking ultimate "truth" is that it is readily obscured by 'perspective'. I guess it all sounds like a contradiction, but it almost makes sence. A religious man might seek "truth" through prayer. A scientific an might seek it through knowledge. An artistic man might seek it through inspiration. But which is the right path? Is there a path at all?

I think the average suicide bomber's perpective is driven mostly out of fear, partly out of prejudice, and lastly out of religion. Somewhere along the lines, thier views of Islam and Judism must have become twisted and contorted into something horrible. I think that's the reason the government goes out of its way to avoid civilian casualties; to convince them our beleifs aren't all that different.
62 52 53 53
Formerly known as 62 52 53 53

Posted: 18 Dec 2003 04:58:56 pm    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
My French teacher was French and she was so stupid you could not believe it. And if you ever look at book with them on it they look queir.

YOU ETHNOCENTRIST!

Last edited by Guest on 18 Dec 2003 04:59:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 19 Dec 2003 11:15:26 am    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
Yeah, but what are you going to do they owe us their country.

The US owes the French their country too.
62 52 53 53

Posted: 19 Dec 2003 05:37:16 pm    Post subject:

Hey, "ethnocentrist" is shorter than "ethnocentic peson" or "person who practices ethnocentrism." What's wrong with adjectiving (yes, that is verbing a noun and making up my own word.) nouns? How do you think the english language evolves anyway? Are you part of a communist plot to make english into a dead(unchanging) language?
Matt

Posted: 19 Dec 2003 08:41:43 pm    Post subject:

are you saying ethnocentrist isn't a word cause it is!
Matt

Posted: 19 Dec 2003 09:00:01 pm    Post subject:

Here ya go! Learned in History!

"believing that your race is better than all the others"- ethnocentrist

Note: Dictionary.com is crap they just generate definitions from other sites!
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Dec 2003 05:23:31 am    Post subject:

Newbie wrote:
62 52 53 53, you had such a childish remark about the communist plot. Im sorry the only prople who are changing the english language are the people on the streets.

You shouldn't take things on the internet as serious as you seem to do, it happends often that somebody uses humor (on the edge of rediculousness) to make a point and somebody who doesn't understand that starts huge insulting rants about how the other guy is wrong.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Dec 2003 05:23:49 am; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Dec 2003 10:45:42 am    Post subject:

Arcane Wizard wrote:
it happends often that somebody uses humor (on the edge of rediculousness) to make a point and somebody who doesn't understand that starts huge insulting rants about how the other guy is wrong.

Like you saying you're female even though you voted male?

Quote:
No,people who make up words bring out the stupidity in themselves.

People who make up words point out the stupidity in all others who couldn't make that word up before...
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Dec 2003 12:59:56 pm    Post subject:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this topic about war in Iraq?
Arcane Wizard
`semi-hippie`

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Dec 2003 01:31:03 pm    Post subject:

Sir Robin wrote:
Arcane Wizard wrote:
it happends often that somebody uses humor (on the edge of rediculousness) to make a point and somebody who doesn't understand that starts huge insulting rants about how the other guy is wrong.

Like you saying you're female even though you voted male?

Exactly, but nobody replied to that with a huge rant/collection of insults... yet.

Quote:
We wouldn't have a language, because to many people are changing it every five seconds, and it would be completely stupid.
I don't think it'd work that way, what's the point of creating a word nobody would understand (and thus wouldn't use themselves, so it wouldn't be passed on)?

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this topic about war in Iraq?
Jup, well.. it was anyway.
62 52 53 53

Posted: 20 Dec 2003 08:14:56 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
If anybody decided to make uo whatever the hell they wanted to it would be total caos. We wouldn't have a language, because to many people are changing it every five seconds, and it would be completely stupid.

yeah, if everybody made up whatever they wanted, the language would be chaos. However, as people come with new sayings, meanings can change. Also, if you create a new form of a word in a completely logical way(according to gramatical rules and precedents), anyone who understands the root word (ethnocentrism), will be able to understand the new form(ethnocentrist), because the only difference is in the prefix, one meaning the beleif/practice of/that/in, the other meaning a person who practices _ism.

And anyway, I reserve the rights to stupidity, ranting, verbing nouns, nouning verbs, adjectiving nouns...

Last edited by Guest on 20 Dec 2003 08:17:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 20 Dec 2003 09:56:30 pm    Post subject:

This is madness! Madness I tell ya!

Remember, there wern't any words at all when the world began. The ability of languange to evolve and accept change is what seperates us from our machines.
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 21 Dec 2003 05:02:29 am    Post subject:

Well, I can see this topic is off topic and getting really messed up.

I may as well fix it...Locked.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 4 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement