This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
wjbudd

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 10:00:35 pm    Post subject:

This is the deadist site I have ever posted on. When is it scheduled to be cancelled?
Xeda112358

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 10:18:34 pm    Post subject:

Bah, it's only dead when.. when... Gah, it is just that people don't seem to want to play around here D: Would you like to have a mini competition? What languages do you know (programming languages Razz)?

Last edited by Guest on 19 Jan 2011 10:18:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Jan 2011 11:41:05 pm    Post subject:

It is not dead here and will NOT be canceled. We are revamping things now!!!
Xeda112358

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 12:27:27 pm    Post subject:

Exactly! What happened was there was a lull, kind of like a recession of sorts for the website. After activity dropped to a certain low point, active members slowly started responding less and they stopped checking in and making updates as much. That's why I keep trying to boost activity a little to get the members back over here to check things out. There has actually been a recent boom in interest with calc programming (from what I can see elsewhere) but activity was too low for only a few months here and that kind of created a temporary collapse. I am sure that the site will be back up to where it was not too long ago, we just cannot have people going around saying it is dead all the time. It is pushing people away from the site and that is kind of a slap in the face to people like me who owe a lot of their programming knowledge to sites like this and are trying to keep these sites active.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jan 2011 12:28:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
wjbudd

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 03:07:22 pm    Post subject:

I undestand your loyality to the site but you also have to live in reality. If it doesn't get any better than this the site might as well shut down.

BTW I think the problem is more likely the latest calculator from TI, the nspire. To please teachers TI made it extremely difficult to program a decent game on the nspire series so most people I know have the additude that it's time to move on to other things. So I think it is going to be necessary to start some threads on Casio and HP in order for this site to survive.

ThunderBolt wrote:

Exactly! What happened was there was a lull, kind of like a recession of sorts for the website. After activity dropped to a certain low point, active members slowly started responding less and they stopped checking in and making updates as much. That's why I keep trying to boost activity a little to get the members back over here to check things out. There has actually been a recent boom in interest with calc programming (from what I can see elsewhere) but activity was too low for only a few months here and that kind of created a temporary collapse. I am sure that the site will be back up to where it was not too long ago, we just cannot have people going around saying it is dead all the time. It is pushing people away from the site and that is kind of a slap in the face to people like me who owe a lot of their programming knowledge to sites like this and are trying to keep these sites active.
Xeda112358

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 04:54:05 pm    Post subject:

Well, yes, you may be correct about the Nspire, but you must remember that all of the previous models still exist. There is much programming going on at the moment and while I do like that you are trying to be practical (which is something I always try to push) and I am glad you are spotting my impracticality, I am also glad that you pointed out the term "devotion." It is something that has always been a key role in all successes whether it is from something simple like creating your first game in TI-BASIC or learning how to do Assembly in hex because you have no other means or internet to larger things that have to do with real life and reality. No other person in my family has ever gone to college, I have never known what it is like to be above the poverty line and yet I am willing to devote myself to my own causes. My causes include getting through college and I am currently a freshman in a private institution taking my first senior level classes. I will have my first major completed next year. I am putting myself through college; I have nobody to rely on. I know what devotion can do and I am quite willing to devote my time to sites like this, especially when sites like this existed to take my mind off the stress of my life, even if I only had internet acccess during school. It was sites like this that existed that taught me my programming knowledge which has put me far further ahead in Number Theory and Foundations of Higher Mathematics than I should be. You know all those optimizations that are constantly being pushed? When you take that to programming in machine code, you need to optimise for speed and memory and advanced algorithms and a very clear understanding of how numbers work is required. Gah, sorry. Probably just hormones kicking in Razz I'll leave for a bit
Ben24

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 08:32:18 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

I undestand your loyality to the site but you also have to live in reality. If it doesn't get any better than this the site might as well shut down.

BTW I think the problem is more likely the latest calculator from TI, the nspire. To please teachers TI made it extremely difficult to program a decent game on the nspire series so most people I know have the additude that it's time to move on to other things. So I think it is going to be necessary to start some threads on Casio and HP in order for this site to survive.

I think that this topic is over-stepping the mark a bit. Since arriving here you have done very little beyond necroposting and complaining about the Nspire.

Yes, the traffic is a bit low at the moment, but that doesn't mean that there aren't people waiting to respond to posts. For example, I asked a question about key input and received a very detailed and informative answer in no time (thanks to DigiTan).

Even if there was no activity at all, the site would is still be a great resource for new programmers with similar questions to those asked in the past.

As for the popularity of TI, the 83+ is still "the" calculator, recommended by many high schools throughout North America.

If you are looking for a more active community then why not check out http://omnimaga.org

- Ben

P.S. Sorry if this post seemed a tad harsh Neutral
Xeda112358

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 08:54:49 pm    Post subject:

Bah, but great point about the tons of information from the past, too. There has to be over a decades worth of hacks and information available here. I don't mean to be harsh, either, it was just touching a nerve and sending an AC current through it... Well, not literally Razz And yeah, that is another thing. There are people who are just waiting for responses and for topics to respond to. I don't own a TI-NSpire (because I visited this site and knew I wouldn't like it) so I can almost never respond to posts in that category. I do program the 83+/84+ in both BASIC and Assembly, so I try to contribute there. It is kind of like reviving the economy-- you just have to have enough people actively participate and pretty soon it'll be back.

Edit: And I love your picture Ben!

Last edited by Guest on 20 Jan 2011 08:55:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben24

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 10:23:21 pm    Post subject:

ThunderBolt wrote:

Bah, but great point about the tons of information from the past, too. There has to be over a decades worth of hacks and information available here. I don't mean to be harsh, either, it was just touching a nerve and sending an AC current through it... Well, not literally Razz And yeah, that is another thing. There are people who are just waiting for responses and for topics to respond to. I don't own a TI-NSpire (because I visited this site and knew I wouldn't like it) so I can almost never respond to posts in that category. I do program the 83+/84+ in both BASIC and Assembly, so I try to contribute there. It is kind of like reviving the economy-- you just have to have enough people actively participate and pretty soon it'll be back.

Ye Neutral My comment about necroposting and nspire complaining was probably uncalled for, sorry JJB. It was just the rather flippant manner in which you suggested destroying all those years of posts that annoyed me. :P

ThunderBolt wrote:

Edit: And I love your picture Ben!

Thanks Very Happy I was worried it might be too distracting.

- Ben
Xeda112358

Posted: 20 Jan 2011 11:07:01 pm    Post subject:

Not at all! Penguins are much loved around here as well as binary... unless that is some other base using just 0's and 1's!
Madskillz

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 02:10:56 am    Post subject:

Yeah we had a bit of drought this past summer. Revsoft experienced it too. Though ours was due to us losing our hosting. It is tough trying to dig yourself out of a hole when everybody leaves and you gotta try and bring them back. I can see UTI attempting to right their ship it's gonna take time. Interesting projects and active staff/forum members are gonna help that.
Xeda112358

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 02:13:51 am    Post subject:

Hehe, I guess I am going to be moving some projects here to help with that Very Happy
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 04:40:10 am    Post subject:

Please move some projects here. That would be awesome. In fact, we are going to get our file archives back up and running, so people can upload/download programs once again. Then, we will get some link exchanges going to bump traffic. Finally, when we have a community that is recovering from our recession, we will do a programming contest with a prize. Last time we did a TI-84Plus graphing calculator as the prize.

You can even assist in judging the contestants!
Xeda112358

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 09:36:30 am    Post subject:

0.0 Cool! Okay, I kind of have my projects half way here, but I'll get back to adding new stuff and features so that I can make legitimate updates Very Happy
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 11:50:41 am    Post subject:

Very nice. I you need anything, please let us know.
wjbudd

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 10:55:30 pm    Post subject:

[/quote]

Ye Neutral My comment about necroposting and nspire complaining was probably uncalled for, sorry JJB. It was just the rather flippant manner in which you suggested destroying all those years of posts that annoyed me. :P

[/quote]

Not a problem, I wasn't thinking about destroying those posts, I was just thinking there might be room here for guys who like other brands to. Smile
NETWizz
Byte by bit

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 22 Jan 2011 11:03:39 pm    Post subject:

JBB wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

Not a problem, I wasn't thinking about destroying those posts, I was just thinking there might be room here for guys who like other brands to. Smile

There is room for other brands like HP & Casio. That said TI has always had the market share and the most programming capabilities, so historically we have been a mostly TI site.

If you would like some other forums opened, DigiTan or Weregoose will be happy to add those areas.
wjbudd

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 03:18:08 pm    Post subject:

By virture of the open letter that was sent to TI, this site has come alive again. (See announcements). Please comment on that issue. Thanks.
wjbudd

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 03:25:03 pm    Post subject:

NETWizz wrote:

JBB wrote:

Quote:

Quote:

There is room for other brands like HP & Casio. That said TI has always had the market share and the most programming capabilities, so historically we have been a mostly TI site.

If you would like some other forums opened, DigiTan or Weregoose will be happy to add those areas.

Responding to your statement "TI has always had the market share and the most programming capabilities" I would like to add that "had" is a good choice of words because with nspire they no longer "have" the most programming capabilities, and because of that they are probably loosing market share. Only the people who like pain and suffering will like programing nspires.
Madskillz

Posted: 29 Jan 2011 04:52:32 pm    Post subject:

JBB, I understand your hatred towards the nspire and in some cases it is rightfully so. But could you quit with the double posting please? There is an edit button, use it. If nobody responds to your post in a day then you are free to double post. But most of your double or triple posts, sometimes within a few minutes of each other, could have been thrown into one. I'm not trying to be a hard-ass or anything, but it's just good forum etiquette.

As for this statement:
Quote:
Only the people who like pain and suffering will like programing nspires.

-That simply isnt true have you done any assembly programming. Machine level coding is much harder to do but yet we managed to do it to great success on all the 83/84 models just fine. Even though I've had my share of pain and suffering doing assembly programming as well. C/C++ are easier to grasp usually. The amount of stuff that is coming from those nspire programmers in the scene are impressive and really put alot of the other stuff out there to shame. Who wouldn't want to play DOOM in it's entirety and not lose any bit of it that made it so good. With an nspire you're going to get that. Not to say there arent other calcs that do the same just never any that where really geared towards the high school level.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement