This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Technology & Calculator Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Tech Support => Technology & Calculator Open Topic
changedsoul

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 08:36:16 pm    Post subject:

Ok, so its the year 2010. We have electric lights and sliced bread. Life seems so good untill you try and program the ti-89.
I simply want to program my TI-89 Titanium in C, so I download TIGCC. sounds simple enough right? wrong.

I try and test a program, and I get an error, Virtual TI is not running. Oh ok, no problem, Ill just go download Virtual TI.
That done, I find I need a rom. Oh sweet, vti does it for me from my calc. Oh but wait, it doesnt support the usb silver cable. Well that sucks.
Oh so I can use TiLP2? No problem, Ill just install that t get my rom. What?!!! Cant start because its shipped with the wrong libticable dll? Give me a break...fine...it works ok with an older version you say? I install the older version 1.07 sure enough I get it to work. Sweet I have a rom now. Start up vti and select my rom. What?!!! vti doesnt seem to recognize it?

Give me a break, what the hell. Why is this so a hard to get this working? Is there a trick to this I am missing? PLease, all I want to do is write some simple program in C and test them before I send them to my Calc and its harder trying to get this working than it is to get sound working under linux.

Any help would be appreciated.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 09:27:49 pm    Post subject:

Try TiEmu. It's supposed to be better than VTI in pretty much every way. (For example, you mentioned you're using a Titanium... did you notice that VTI has not been updated since several years before the Titanium was introduced?) Also, I think it allows you to use an .89u/.9xu file, no ROM image required.

Last edited by Guest on 25 Feb 2010 09:31:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 10:28:54 pm    Post subject:

The problem with TiEmu is that it's plagued with many of the same install problems as TiLP. I really don't know why that happens, or how to fix it.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 10:52:21 pm    Post subject:

build a better TiLP
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 02:44:50 am    Post subject:

Quote:
The problem with TiEmu is that it's plagued with many of the same install problems as TiLP.

Well, I'd say no: no version of TIEmu has the same packaging problem as TILP II 1.13 has ;)

changedsoul, you can download the latest version of TILP at e.g. http://www.unitedti.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=9222 . Many bugfixes and improvements since TILP II 1.07.
And you'd better use GCC4TI ( http://trac.godzil.net/gcc4ti ) instead of TIGCC, whose latest release was more than three years ago: besides a number of user-visible bugfixes, GCC4TI brings a number of user-visible improvements over TIGCC: optimizations, new features, new functions. Some of those improvements were contributed to TIGCC as early as 2002 (!), but became available to users only in 2009, with the advent of GCC4TI...
changedsoul

Posted: 26 Feb 2010 09:19:00 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the fast replys, I will give those recommendations a try. I never heard of gcc4ti before. I would rather get all this working in linux since I cant stand working in windows, but one way or another I will be giving these programs a try and see how they are. Thanks again.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 27 Feb 2010 08:29:55 am    Post subject:

TiEmu, TiLP and TilEm all installed quasi-problem-less on my Fedora 10 machine. I've heard they are much harder to get to work in windows, though.
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 04 Mar 2010 01:57:17 am    Post subject:

GCC4TI, TILP and TIEmu work alright under Linux: that's what I'm using myself.
Installation scripts are one of the areas where GCC4TI improves on TIGCC.
To ease setup of TILP and TIEmu under Linux, I've created two scripts: http://lpg.ticalc.org/prj_tilp/download/install_tilp.sh and http://lpg.ticalc.org/prj_tiemu/downloads/install_tiemu.sh . Be sure to look _inside_ the scripts for information on build dependencies, and the possibility to tweak e.g. the installation prefix (which defaults to $HOME).
eveenstra

Posted: 06 Mar 2010 01:06:40 pm    Post subject:

I have the same problem, except i have a 84+ and am running linux. For some reason TiLP's rom dumper won't work, and VTI crashes under wine.
Does anyone know of any emulators (besides VTI) that work in linux (Ubuntu 9.10)?
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 Mar 2010 12:23:58 pm    Post subject:

TilEm.

Get your rom with ROM8x. (look on ticalc)
(and indeed, TiLP's ROM dumper doesn't work with direct USB, unless that changed in the last version)
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 12 Mar 2010 02:31:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
(and indeed, TiLP's ROM dumper doesn't work with direct USB, unless that changed in the last version)

That is being changed, indeed Smile
* on Linux, the scripts I posted about in this topic for compiling from SVN will give you that capability;
* a Windows build containing that capability (contributed by Brandon Wilson) is available in http://www.unitedti.org/forum/index.php?showtopic=9222 .
bwang

Posted: 12 Mar 2010 03:26:27 pm    Post subject:

When updating TiLP with the newest version from SVN (on Linux), is it necessary to uninstall the previous version?
Even with what I think is a very recent version, it won't send files to my Nspire.
Also, I definitely think I found a bug: TiLP thinks my Nspire has 43 MB of free RAM.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Mar 2010 03:37:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement