This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 12 Jan 2010 05:02:41 pm    Post subject:

Dissertation Completion Analysis:

Overall Game Completion: 23%

Concept:
- Menu Concepts: 90%
- Mission Concepts: 0%
- Character Concepts: 40%
- Weapon Concepts: 10%
- Magic Concepts: 10%
- Multiplayer Concept: 100%

Statistical Design:
- Mission Design: 0%
- Character Design: 40%
- Weapon Design: 3%
- Magic Design: 0%
- Overall Combat Design: 85%

Graphics:
- Menu Graphics: 0%
- Mission Graphics: 5%
- Character Graphics: 0%
- Weapon Graphics: 0%
- Magic Graphics: 0%
- Combat Graphics: 0%

This is as of today. My goal is 40% game completion by next Friday.

Last edited by Guest on 15 Jan 2010 04:55:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ed H

Posted: 12 Jan 2010 10:00:40 pm    Post subject:

Good luck yo. RPGs are some of the hardest games to program well on the calculator.

Do you plan on using any ASM libs?
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jan 2010 10:16:27 pm    Post subject:

Sounds like you're really serious about doing this! We look forward to it!
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 12 Jan 2010 11:21:36 pm    Post subject:

I know I can manage all my data in lists and strings and maintain leaving only archived lists on the user's calc as save data, but I'm not entirely sure this game can be as expansive as I want it to be without utilizing an asm prog to quickly archive and unarchive programs. If everything in ram goes over my target (16000 bytes), I'll probably be forced to.

Thanks for the support Smile
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 13 Jan 2010 02:44:04 pm    Post subject:

It's conceptual preview Wednesday, ladies and gentlemen! Spoiler time! Character concept details:

There will be multiple tiers of characters, each with their own unique stats, levels/level caps, and elements (which will affect combat damage and which items the character can equip). Each character will have their own unique 15x15 sprite; I'm planning on spending copious amounts of time drawing them up, so expect quality work with these guys (as best as 15x15 can go, at least). So far, I've already conceptually designed the first two character tiers; I'm hoping to draw up at least ten tiers, which will amount to about 40-60 characters. Can anyone smell the replay value? Very Happy The first of four characters in tier 1 is called, appropriately for a starter, "Soldier." Come this Friday, I'm going to post screenshots of my sprite editor, along with a demo image of my first character on the drawing board. I hope to draw up to at least tier 5 tonight.

I'm going to get into the routine of posting weekly, so as not to lose motivation. School doesn't start until the Monday after next, so I think I can get a very large portion of the game finished by then. I'm having my close friend beta test, but, sorry, I won't release an open beta.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Jan 2010 02:45:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 15 Jan 2010 05:10:51 pm    Post subject:

Graphical preview Friday (Graphics Editor):

Main Screen

Editor Screen

Drawing the letter, "I."

Drawing a "T."

Previewing the "T."

Previewing the "I." Hey, look at me! I'm funny! Get it? TI!! HAHHAHAHAHA...
Ed H

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 12:29:05 am    Post subject:

Aha that's pretty slick. How are you storing the sprites? How will you be displaying them in your RPG?
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 01:26:07 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Aha that's pretty slick. How are you storing the sprites? How will you be displaying them in your RPG?

I store them to 45 character long strings, and I draw them in three rows. The strings will probably (with 100 or so sprites) amount to the hefty sum of around 5000 bytes, so I might cut it up, reducing buffering costs in RAM.

Code:
for(X,0,2
StorePic 1
for(Y,0,14
Text(5X,Y,sub(Str1,Y+1,1
end
RecallPic 1
end

Since I only draw them when they're being previewed in the character buying section and once during each combat, the fact that it takes two seconds to draw won't slow gameplay.

That's the magic to my sprite editor. It analyzes the image and spits a 45 character string at me.

Last edited by Guest on 16 Jan 2010 01:26:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Ed H

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 07:36:21 pm    Post subject:

Aha, three rows of textsprites. Cool. Since you're planning on storing 100 or more of these sprites amounting to ~5000 bytes, perhaps you consider using various forms of compression. Since you don't need to draw them very often, you could store all the characters in compressed form, and then only keep the "current" characters in an uncompressed format without losing much speed.

Oh, one last note about your displaying routine: I'm pretty sure you can move the StorePic and the RecallPic to the exterior of the first For loop. Of course, the optimizations you can make depends on the context, which you know about better than me, you but might be able to avoid using StorePic and RecallPic entirely depending on how you draw the stuff around the sprites.
ztrumpet

Posted: 16 Jan 2010 08:19:47 pm    Post subject:

Ed H wrote:
Oh, one last note about your displaying routine: I'm pretty sure you can move the StorePic and the RecallPic to the exterior of the first For loop.
Almost. In order to do that you must first make sure that the erase-row-of-pixels-below-text flag is off (on 84s). To do that, run this at the begining of the program:
:G-T
:DispGraph
:Full

Good luck, and it looks like a really nice editor.

EDIT: Please note that with the above method you would need to go bottom to top.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Jan 2010 05:15:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
jakethepspguy

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 18 Jan 2010 03:23:41 pm    Post subject:

ztrumpet wrote:
Ed H wrote:
Oh, one last note about your displaying routine: I'm pretty sure you can move the StorePic and the RecallPic to the exterior of the first For loop.
Almost. In order to do that you must first make sure that the erase-row-of-pixels-below-text flag is off (on 84s). To do that, run this at the begining of the program:

Good luck, and it looks like a really nice editor.

EDIT: Please note that with the above method you would need to go bottom to top.

That's awesome! I've heard of the pixel flag before, but I never knew how to check. I've been using text sprites for quite a while, and I'm liking the results; your code's going to be a big help.

I'm currently working on menus and still storyboarding characters/magic/items Smile It's coming well!!!!
ztrumpet

Posted: 18 Jan 2010 09:55:19 pm    Post subject:

If you don't want it to run that code everytime you can run it like this:
:Pxl-On(6,0
:Text(0,0," //One space
:If not(pxl-Test(6,0
:Then
:End

I'm glad you like it/them. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 18 Jan 2010 09:55:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
hotdog1234

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Feb 2010 03:27:27 pm    Post subject:

It's been about 2 weeks...how's the project coming?
kinkoa

Posted: 25 Feb 2010 11:29:24 am    Post subject:

its been awhile hows it coming along, also a good way to archive/unarchive quickly is to use an emulator im writing one that you run the program from and it archives/unarchives during gameplay
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement