This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
ztrumpet

Posted: 22 Dec 2009 10:29:12 pm    Post subject:

What are some of the best games? I have to wait for January 4th till I can link it, though.
I did see Mario with sound. Smile
ahudson

Posted: 24 Dec 2009 10:05:54 am    Post subject:

There's all sorts of great games out there with grayscale and sound, but with the grayscale Mario, be careful with making worlds because it can crash.
MaxwellSmart

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 04:14:29 pm    Post subject:

I've joined the 86ers club as of this week.

I had a TI-85 back in the day (the '90s). I did some Z-80 stuff even earlier than that (the '80s). Never did assembly on the -85, though.

I can confirm the going rate for an 86 with manual and link cable--forty bucks.

I've got a good handle on Z-80 assembly language but a poor grasp of TI-86-specific details. I've had some rank beginner programs with Asm(, AsmComp(, and AsmPrgm on the -86. Some of this appears to have to do with imperfect compatibility between -83/84 programs and the 85/86. I think this has more to do with the short programs calling ROM routines whose addresses may be different between the platforms.

Another is really n00b stuff like "you can't use AsmComp( to overwrite an existing program--you get a cryptic error message if you try".

Right now I'm having to key in the opcodes as I wait for my USB connectivity cable to show up. When it does I'll be programming on my Linux box.

_The Z80 Microprocessor: Hardware, Software, Programming, and Interfacing_ by Barry Brey is a really a good book on the Z-80. But it is absolutely targeted at junior- or senior-year EE students. The first half of the book is probably accessible to anyone with a strong programming background and at least some past exposure to assembly, but the second half of the book takes for granted some circuit analysis and digital logic background.

But if you have that background, it's great.

First post--looking forward to participating in this community. Cheers!
ztrumpet

Posted: 22 Jan 2010 04:52:00 pm    Post subject:

Welcome to the community!
Good luck with the coding. Yeah, 86s and 83s don't get along. It makes sense because they are so different, but it's fun to carry more than one calc around. :biggrin:
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 24 Jan 2010 07:05:08 pm    Post subject:

A good place to look for 86 related things is at http://guide.ticalc.org/ though there are a few mistakes there for the most part its pretty good.
tifreak8x

Elite

Posted: 24 Jan 2010 09:59:22 pm    Post subject:

ztrumpet wrote:
What are some of the best games? I have to wait for January 4th till I can link it, though.
I did see Mario with sound. Smile

Mega Man 2 with sounds was a fantastic game.

Seriously, just go through the 86 asm list at ticalc. It should keep you busy for a loooong time.
ztrumpet

Posted: 25 Jan 2010 03:51:58 pm    Post subject:

I'm having problems transfering files. What do you reccommend using? (I'm using Ti Connect 1.5 now.)
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Jan 2010 03:33:05 pm    Post subject:

Both TI-Connect and TILP II have worked fine for me for transfering programs with my USB-SilverLink Cable, though I never got the 86 to work with my Parallel link cable.
ahudson

Posted: 05 Feb 2010 08:34:18 pm    Post subject:

I got my old parallel cable to work with my TI-86 using TI-Connect.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Feb 2010 02:33:04 am    Post subject:

Are you serious? Or just confused about the difference between a parallel and serial cable?

(None of TI's software has ever supported the parallel cables. It would be a somewhat impressive hack if you did get that to work.)

Last edited by Guest on 06 Feb 2010 02:34:37 am; edited 1 time in total
ahudson

Posted: 18 Feb 2010 04:40:27 pm    Post subject:

My parallel cable just worked with TI-Connect with no problems at all.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement