This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
calcdude84se

Posted: 29 Sep 2009 08:35:46 pm    Post subject:

I think that's what I said. I might have messed up when saying that the new contents of A affect F.
jeffhatch

Posted: 29 Sep 2009 09:21:50 pm    Post subject:

The problem, of course, was that the manual doesn't say "POP qq only affects condition bits when you POP AF, and then only in the way we just described." It simply says, "Condition Bits Affected: None." When I finally figured out what was going on, I was annoyed, but now looking back it's quite amusing.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 29 Sep 2009 11:26:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Some of our customers have a lot of trouble getting TI-Connect to work, especially with Vista.

It is known that TI has no 64 bit drivers, and because lots of people have Vista 64... Vista32 should work, as far as I know.

I could install TiLP on a Vista64 without trouble, by the way.
Michael

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 12:05:22 am    Post subject:

Jeff Hatch wrote:
The problem, of course, was that the manual doesn't say "POP qq only affects condition bits when you POP AF, and then only in the way we just described." It simply says, "Condition Bits Affected: None." When I finally figured out what was going on, I was annoyed, but now looking back it's quite amusing.

As others have said, that's because it doesn't affect any condition bits. Ever. Even for POP AF. If you tell it to pop a value into AF, that's not the instruction affecting the condition bits, that's you choosing to load a value into the condition bits.
DrDnar

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 01:06:44 am    Post subject:

I learned with Learn Assembly in 28 Days. It's not perfect, but I found it very helpful. We have a community Wiki that documents some of the undocumented features of the TI-8x family and has some other useful information. If TI's given you information that you're free to share, we'd love it if you updated the Wiki. For some extra visibility in the community, you might try posting your apps to TI Calc.org. It's pretty much the biggest TI calculator site in existence.
Lionel Debroux

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 04:38:26 am    Post subject:

Indeed, even though the original author stopped working on them, TILP/libti* and TIEmu are not abandoned: I've joined the maintainer team.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 06:31:05 am    Post subject:

Quote:
you might try posting your apps to TI Calc.org. It's pretty much the biggest TI calculator site in existence.

ZoomMath is payware: http://www.zoommath.com

Last edited by Guest on 30 Sep 2009 06:31:24 am; edited 1 time in total
DrDnar

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 07:48:37 am    Post subject:

More like shareware: its features are restricted until you input a key. You're allowed to share it (good advertising). The App4Math is still free, and I don't think they have a problem with him posting trial versions.
whyat least3

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 04:27:04 pm    Post subject:

here is a simpler thing to do, just do the math yourself, or do what i did, look up algebra programs at ticalc.com or google "algebra ticalc ti 84" and add the fake erase app, once again google "fake memory erase ti 84", and download it to your calc so you can cheat on the EOC as long as you show your teacher that you want to use your calc and show him/her that you "cleared" your memory on the day of the test and let him/her know in advance that you want to use it. Just make sure you DON'T get caught and DON'T let them find out you cheated or you'll get screwed over. A lot simpler than buying it, and SOME programs even SHOW THE WORK FOR YOU.

hope this helps
jeffhatch

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 05:40:12 pm    Post subject:

I can think of one bit of helpful information TI gave us, but I assume the community already figured that one out. Namely, if you override the cursor blink routine, you better make sure your custom routine finishes executing before the next clock interrupt, or you'll get unpredictable behavior. (If I recall correctly, WikiTI was where we first learned about the cursor blink hook.)

I would love to have an App on ticalc.org! But TI wants exclusivity on App4Math for now, and I wasn't sure whether trial versions of commercial software were appropriate to post.

Jeff Hatch
The Zoom Math Team
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 06:17:52 pm    Post subject:

whyat least3 wrote:
hope this helps
On the contrary. You just described how to cheat, connive, and fake one's way through a math test – a surefire way to leave kids unprepared for future courses and in turn lock them out from future careers. At United-TI, we're not about teaching students how to be lazy and dishonest, and neither are Jeff Hatch and Zoom Math.

While it's true that some school organizations may have lost sight of the virtues in problem-solving and ended up "teaching" incoherent material that would disorient students as to what math is really about, it doesn't change the fact that you should grit your teeth and do your assignment properly and with honesty, which is exactly the type of thing that employers will be looking for even in those who aren't very good at math.

It has become apparent to me that there are at least two posters in this thread who have had teaching credentials! An interest in calculator programming from peers of the academic world is always a plus. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 30 Sep 2009 06:19:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 07:19:35 pm    Post subject:

Jeff Hatch wrote:
I can think of one bit of helpful information TI gave us, but I assume the community already figured that one out. Namely, if you override the cursor blink routine, you better make sure your custom routine finishes executing before the next clock interrupt, or you'll get unpredictable behavior. (If I recall correctly, WikiTI was where we first learned about the cursor blink hook.)

Interesting. That would certainly cause timing issues, but unpredictable behavior beyond that? I don't believe the timer interrupt is acknowledged until after the cursor hook finishes. So the worst thing that happens is you miss an interrupt. Maybe it makes the cursor blink a tiny bit slower, makes the keys repeat a tiny bit slower, and makes APD take a tiny bit longer. I don't think any of those would be a huge issue.

(You do need to be careful not to enable interrupts during your cursor hook, but that's a separate issue.)

Quote:
I would love to have an App on ticalc.org! But TI wants exclusivity on App4Math for now, and I wasn't sure whether trial versions of commercial software were appropriate to post.

I can't speak for ticalc.org, but I certainly don't see any problem if you wanted to post a freeware demo version of your app. I think Kirk Meyer did something similar during the period when he was selling DAWG through TI's online store.
ztrumpet

Posted: 30 Sep 2009 07:58:37 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
whyat least3 wrote:
hope this helps
On the contrary. You just described how to cheat, connive, and fake one's way through a math test – a surefire way to leave kids unprepared for future courses and in turn lock them out from future careers. At United-TI, we're not about teaching students how to be lazy and dishonest, and neither are Jeff Hatch and Zoom Math.

While it's true that some school organizations may have lost sight of the virtues in problem-solving and ended up "teaching" incoherent material that would disorient students as to what math is really about, it doesn't change the fact that you should grit your teeth and do your assignment properly and with honesty, which is exactly the type of thing that employers will be looking for even in those who aren't very good at math.

It has become apparent to me that there are at least two posters in this thread who have had teaching credentials! An interest in calculator programming from peers of the academic world is always a plus. Smile
Preach on, Goose!
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Oct 2009 10:59:44 am    Post subject:

Just a little question: why did you sign your app with the freeware key? It would be much easier to use the OS's cryptographic facilities with an official developer key from TI. I don't know whether that'd still work, bearing in mind the factoring from last summer.
FloppusMaximus

Advanced Member

Posted: 01 Oct 2009 05:31:06 pm    Post subject:

Does TI do that anymore? They don't even sell their own apps nowadays.

The... ahem... work that's been done in that area in the past few months is not relevant here. Unless the Zoom Math folks are interested in releasing TI-73 versions of their apps.
jeffhatch

Posted: 01 Oct 2009 09:17:08 pm    Post subject:

A few years ago, I taught math in an after-school program. One day, a student refused to do her assigned work in class, so I temporarily kicked her out of my classroom. A few minutes later I talked to her. Why did she defy me? Because she didn't know how to do the work, and she was too embarrassed to say so in front of her peers.

I hope Zoom Math can help students like that, who need a little extra help but don't want to ask. As for the cheaters, they can just screw themselves...with help from Zoom Math! :-P

I thought my cursor blink routine would be okay if we disabled interrupts. It wasn't. Maybe some of the TI drawing subroutines we called re-enabled the clock interrupt? But I tried DI immediately after each B_CALL, and it still didn't work consistently. (We had about one crash per 20 hours of automated testing!) Finally I just made the cursor blink routine set a flag, and had the key detection routine draw the cursor based on the flag. That worked.

Way back in 2004, TI told me they don't sign Apps anymore.

I will go ahead and post Zoom200 on ticalc.org soon, thanks. And I'll send the admins a friendly email just to make sure it's okay with them. Thanks for the advice, Dr. D'nar!

Jeff Hatch
The Zoom Math Team
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Oct 2009 07:50:56 am    Post subject:

Mapar007 wrote:
Just a little question: why did you sign your app with the freeware key? It would be much easier to use the OS's cryptographic facilities with an official developer key from TI. I don't know whether that'd still work, bearing in mind the factoring from last summer.

TI doesn't do this anymore because of the freeware key. All somebody would have to do is buy the application once, re-sign it with the freeware key, and distribute it to everyone on the internet. Their trial/paid application system is now useless. The factoring doesn't change that much.

Zoom Math's key system is far better than TI's.
Mapar007

Advanced Member

Posted: 02 Oct 2009 09:26:29 am    Post subject:

I was already thinking that such a thing would be possible, but I didn't know for sure, which is why I asked.
DrDnar

Posted: 03 Oct 2009 06:43:43 pm    Post subject:

Jeff Hatch wrote:
I hope Zoom Math can help students like that, who need a little extra help but don't want to ask. As for the cheaters, they can just screw themselves...with help from Zoom Math! Razz

Heh, that's the spirit!

I wish you luck.
hdhippodrome

Posted: 07 Oct 2009 03:34:45 pm    Post subject:

Well, my original question really seemed to get a good conversation going here. Seems to have even gotten the author of the software I was asking about involved. Great to see everyone working together to make it better. Hopefully I get to buy it soon (bills, bills, bills, etc.).
Jeff, you mentioned Zoom Math 300- what's up with that? A big step past 200? I really want it to check my own work, I don't require the above suggested cheating, but I do need to be able to verify my own work, and see where I went wrong, step by step, when I do make a mistake. It would be nice if the app was useful beyond Algebra I too...
And if you need any beta testers... Rolling Eyes
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 2 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement