This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's General Open Topic subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Open Topic & United-TI Talk => General Open Topic
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 01:16:09 pm    Post subject:

[font="Arial"]
Quote:
Sony and Nintendo have been sued by Copper Innovations Group, which claims the two companies are infringing upon its patent for a "Hand-Held Computer Input Apparatus and Method."

This all just sounds ridiculous. Is it even possible to make a popular product anymore without getting sued for some reason? And some of these reasons are goddamned retarded.

It makes me wonder, would someone even be allowed to market, say, a mass-producible hoverboard or something without infringing on some idea from a guy I never even heard off? Would I have to pay royalties even if the design was mine, simply because it resembles an unrealized oppurtunity?

This week, a Texas jury ruled that Sony must pay 18.5 million in damages for infringing some companies wireless technology, even though Sony said they owned the patents.

I just wanna know what you guys think. Is everyone looking for a cut in the video gaming industry's money pile?

(and btw, I think the bold control is broke, I couldn't turn it off)

BBCode-fu manual override. –Goose

Last edited by Guest on 06 Aug 2009 06:04:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
darkstone knight

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 02:15:10 pm    Post subject:

well, we have intel's 1.08 milliard euro's bill...
ztrumpet

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 02:29:14 pm    Post subject:

I think you can always get sued...
fullmetalcoder

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 03:16:23 pm    Post subject:

I think there are even patents on the very concept of progress bar and similar UI components so :
* whenever you write a software or create a hardware device it is very probable that someone looking for it can find a patent infringment
* however it is extremely unlikely ever looks for such a thing in the obscure thing you created and even more unlikely they try to sue you if they can't get a couple of million out of you
* you're better off in a country that does not consider software patents as valid
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 05:57:47 pm    Post subject:

Be careful not to smile!

(Moved to Rants and Raves.)

Last edited by Guest on 06 Aug 2009 06:05:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 06:38:14 pm    Post subject:

That's almost as sad as that woman who sued her university because she couldn't get a job. Personally, I think it's an embarrassment how lawyers just run the country. Granted, intellectual property rights serve their purpose against plagarism, corporate espionage and what have you. But where's the proportionality once courts start handing out million dollar jackpots? Given today's economic climate and the inevitable layoffs to follow this judgement, I'd say it takes a genuinely evil person to accept this kind of money. On the other hand, I do have to applaud lawyers for turning their profession into a complete farce. That's gotta require some serious skill. ...Somehow.

Last edited by Guest on 06 Aug 2009 06:39:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fryedsoft

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 07:13:29 pm    Post subject:

My Aunt works for one of the county judges here.

My favorite story so far was the divorcing couple that were fighting over custody of a Thanksgiving Turkey in their fridge. She said it went on for like 10 minutes, with their lawyers getting involved.

The guy howling at the moon like a wolf was also pretty good too.

I'd talk about the sheep guy, but that would definitely be inappropriate to post here.
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 07:31:42 pm    Post subject:

thanks for the fixes, goose. what happened?
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 Aug 2009 08:14:49 pm    Post subject:

I just love some of the lawsuits. Here are some crazy ones:

> I'm afraid He didn't hire a defendant.
Although the joke isn't that funny, the story is true. Someone sued God. The weird part is, is that he claimed to be an atheist.

> Here's your cookies, with a side of heart failure.
Again, not that funny, but the story is that these two teenagers tried to make cookies fir this nice old lady. The rang her door bell, after 10 pm, and the old lady was so afraid of who would be at her door this late at night, that she had a heart attack. (I think, I don't remember the exact problem, but needless to say, she sued.)

> I sue, you sue, we all sue me!!!
I couldn't think of anything else. The story goes that a prisoner committed a crime, that was apparently against his religion. He decided to sue himself for 5 million dollars. I know what your thinking, but being in prison, he didn't really have 5 million dollars, so he asked the government to pay for him. Needless to say, he didn't win. The case was dropped.)

> Oh my goodness, are you okay? Not you, my car!!!
Short story. Man hits 17 year old with Audi. Man sues family for damages to the car. wow...

> And it will practically drive itself.
Some guy sued because the salesmen said "it would practically drive itself". He put it on cruise control. It didn't drive itself. He drove to court, and came home with a fat wallet. (Yeah, he won.)

> Hey, I OWN this face.
A man sued Michael Jordan, because he looked like him. That case was dropped.

> No loitering!!!
A man was not to happy with homeless people camping out in front of his store. Apparently, it drove away the customers. He sued for $1,000,000.

> A job well done, but not A+ job.
A student sued because his teacher didn't give him an A+, but gave him an A.

> Hey, I was sleeping there!!!
While we are on the topic of students, one student sued his teacher, because she woke him up, by slamming her fist on the disk, which caused him "hearing damage".

And there's so much more... Unfortianetly.
(I sue you, because I can't spell!) JK.
IAmACalculator
In a state of quasi-hiatus

Know-It-All

Posted: 08 Aug 2009 09:06:17 pm    Post subject:

My personal favorite is the guy who, while drunk, tried to outrun a subway train. He failed to do so, but he did manage to win his lawsuit.
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 Aug 2009 09:38:21 pm    Post subject:

Who's he gonna sue, and what for? Failure to maintain their vehicle?
Reapex

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 09:34:10 am    Post subject:

You guys remember the old lady and the McDonalds coffee....
She spilt it and she got burned and there was no warning saying hot.........
It's COFFEE!
WTF?!
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 10:41:35 am    Post subject:

Graphmastur wrote:
Who's he gonna sue, and what for? Failure to maintain their vehicle?
The subway company; apparently he should have been able to outrun a subway train, so their trains were too fast.

@Reapex: While the lawsuit was pretty dumb, she probably needed some money to cover those hospital bills.
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 01:22:40 pm    Post subject:

Reapex wrote:
You guys remember the old lady and the McDonalds coffee....
She spilt it and she got burned and there was no warning saying hot.........
It's COFFEE!
WTF?!

To her credit, the coffee *did* give her 3rd degree burns. Coffee is supposed to be hot, but THAT hot?

Last edited by Guest on 10 Aug 2009 01:25:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 01:39:57 pm    Post subject:

Really. You shouldn't have to wait 10 minutes for the coffee to stop boiling in your cup.
IAmACalculator

Know-It-All

Posted: 10 Aug 2009 10:32:52 pm    Post subject:

Actually, according to Wiki, any decently hot liquid can do that if it is absorbed into fabric.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Aug 2009 11:38:06 am    Post subject:

It happened again!

Judge orders Microsoft to stop selling Word:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2351492,00.asp
Graphmastur

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Aug 2009 04:30:00 pm    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
It happened again!

Judge orders Microsoft to stop selling Word:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2351492,00.asp

Um.. How long has word existed? If this is real, why not sue before. Besides, if I write a java program, sun can't come and take my program. The same is with XML.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 12 Aug 2009 06:17:37 pm    Post subject:

I wonder if I'm not the only one terribly distracted by the fact they named themselves "i4i." With a name like that, you'd almost think this was some elaborate ruse to live off litigation in a weak market.

Last edited by Guest on 12 Aug 2009 06:18:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
JoeYoung

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Aug 2009 09:21:21 pm    Post subject:

i4i? Did they ever actually do anything with their patent or what?
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement