This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. 68k Calculator Basic => TI-BASIC
wormsrocks

Posted: 17 Apr 2008 07:50:40 pm    Post subject:

I'm starting on a huge ti programming project. I have challenged myself to make a huge rpg - in just 2 files: the save file, and the program itself. I'm looking for a small team (about 5-10 people) who would be willing to help me out with this project. I need one or two graphical artists and a couple experienced TI 89 BASIC programmers, all of which would be willing to brainstorm a little as well. So far, I have the save system worked out, the moving around the map worked out, and am working on the intro. Anybody interested in helping me out with this?

By the way, I will be checking back whenever I'm on, which is usually on weekends, but it's not a garunteed thing, because this is a shared computer that I'm on.
Taricorp

Posted: 17 Apr 2008 09:03:56 pm    Post subject:

Please don't double post. If a mod heeded my request, the other copy of this has been deleted.

At any rate, I think you may want to try a much smaller project to get your feet wet. Seldom does a large project like this ever become finished (I know of _none_), and if you're new to TI-BASIC (as it's reasonable to believe, given that you just joined), there's a lot you can learn (even if you've used it some, there's a lot to learn).

I don't think there are many 68k-ers around here, either..
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 12:18:28 am    Post subject:

You probably want to build a "core" engine before making pretty and happy grfx.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 06:50:55 am    Post subject:

If you are looking for help with 68K stuff http://tifreakware.net/ has a few more 68k programmers than here though most of them use C instead of the 68k basic. Idk of many 68k basic programmers so you may be on your own on this project but good luck.
SuperKoolKid

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 01:06:28 pm    Post subject:

I am a fairly good 68k Basic programmer, but I don't know if I really wanna do 5 projects. I've got 4 68k ASM projects and this one would be five.
wormsrocks

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 01:22:40 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I'm not new to programming, and I've been using mostly TIcalc.org, but when I looked for a forum there to try to get some help with this, considering I'm expecting it to be somewhere around 100k bytes or so, looking at something that someone else did, I found that they didn't have one. So, I found this site. I had already posted this elsewhere, then I found this section (sry) so I didn't mean to doublepost. Anyways, I could do it on my own, I just would like some help since it's a huge thing I'm working on, and I'm not very good with making my own graphics. I've made a mimic of the Zelda logo, but that was just because I've seen it before. I'm not artistic to start with normally.
Btw, thanks for the tifreakware notice. I'll try there next.
Also, if you don't want to help with this project, that's ok. I just need some input from other people, to get some other perspectives on this. If any of you want, I'll send you what I have so far, which is just the save system and the first part of the intro. The bit I'm currently on that I am starting to need some graphics help with is the first battle with an enemy, which I just need the graphics for the player. And yes, I know that with what I have so far, the names are really stupid, the plotline's corny, and the first enemy looks rather stupid, but I just starterd this yesterday. Thanks for the input, though.
Finally, thanks for replying to my start. Any and all input that you have (that isn't 'you stink' or something like that) is EXTREMELY welcome, as this is the first project of mine that I'm actually taking outside input on. In this program, any who help will get mentioned in it, and I will give all credit where it is due. Again, thank you!
Oh, and about that core engine thing, what do you mean by that? I've seen others mention it, but never used one or figured out what they meant by it.

Last edited by Guest on 18 Apr 2008 01:24:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 02:15:02 pm    Post subject:

the core/engine is the piece of code that is executed most of the time, like the code to make someone move. the engine is more important than a titlescreen, so it is recommanded that you start with that first.

also, I think not many people program (big) games in 89 basic. most people use C.
wormsrocks

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 03:30:35 pm    Post subject:

Ok, yeah, if there's something that I use multiple times, I stick it in a subroutine or something like that, and re-execute it when I get to the spot where I need it again. Also, in the last couple hours, I've made very good progress, and the intro is almost completely finished. Do any of you guys want to just help with some input? I'm at the first battle section.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 04:59:30 pm    Post subject:

vuurrobin wrote:
the core/engine is the piece of code that is executed most of the time, like the code to make someone move. the engine is more important than a titlescreen, so it is recommanded that you start with that first.

also, I think not many people program (big) games in 89 basic. most people use C.
[post="122590"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I agree with that. TIGCC provides a pretty good library.
wormsrocks

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 07:50:21 pm    Post subject:

Ok, thanks for your input, though I'm still wondering, is anyone interested at all? Oh, and sorry that my previous inputs were lengthy. I had a lot to say and respond to. Also, what's TIGCC's web address, if they have one?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 07:52:16 pm    Post subject:

wormsrocks wrote:
Also, what's TIGCC's web address, if they have one?
Pop "tigcc" into a Google search and see where it takes you. Smile

Last edited by Guest on 18 Apr 2008 07:52:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
simonzack

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 07:55:02 pm    Post subject:

Well, if you want help from TIGCC, I would suggest you go to tict.ticalc.org, if I've remembered it right, there's also a forum, which you could ask for some help
wormsrocks

Posted: 18 Apr 2008 07:59:42 pm    Post subject:

well, ticalc.org was where I started. It didn't have a forum that I could find, so I looked it up on google, and it led me here. So, I joined here and put up my message.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 19 Apr 2008 08:59:22 pm    Post subject:

or try the tigcc irc channel. i think it's on freequest now, but this might be good if you don't have an IRC client. Just click on the webchat/irc link.
wormsrocks

Posted: 20 Apr 2008 07:52:16 am    Post subject:

Yeah, thanks! I tried the IRC client thing, but it didn't work for me. This makes it a whole lot easier! -)
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 20 Apr 2008 06:05:02 pm    Post subject:

Agreed, that since you're planning to work on a larger project, you'll need to do it in C. BASIC is to slow and just won't cut it......

To be honest, I wouldn't "start" on a 100k project, but I note that you've done programming before... However, there's not very many projects on the ti's which exceed 60k... You probably want to work on like, let's say, a side scrolling game, which should take about 20-30k at the min.

In fact, I think pictures\data will probably take up more mem then the actual game, lol.

Last edited by Guest on 20 Apr 2008 06:06:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 20 Apr 2008 06:14:27 pm    Post subject:

it's not that 68k basic is slow, it can do a surprising amount of impressive stuff. it's more like TIGCC is that much more convenient.

and I can't believe I'm quoting Spencer on this, but solid code is more important than eye-candy. If you've got a pretty good engine going, then the graphics can come and go afterwards. You can worry about the sprites later once you've got a clear idea of what you wanna do.
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 20 Apr 2008 11:10:39 pm    Post subject:

Okay, ti-basic isn't slow, but it's slow enough, lacks features, waste of time to program in, and is impossible to organize.
wormsrocks

Posted: 22 Apr 2008 01:28:12 pm    Post subject:

I agree about the pictures and such taking up a lot of mem, so I'm mainly sticking to very small, simple ones, like a circle with two clusters of four pixels for eyes as your first enemy, which I'm not even saving as a picture because it's so easy to draw. And, with the movement, on the main map, I have just you as a single pixel moving around. In battles, I don't even show you, so that takes care of the image issues.
Now, with the speed issue, I've wondered about that a lot, and there's not much I can do about it. However, I can optimize the code to as small as possible to get it to run at its fastest, which is about as much as I can do there.
I'm hoping to take two years of advanced c++, the first to get started, the second to finish up, starting next year, and after that, I'll be working with Python as well. Still, I'm interested in at least trying to get as much of this project as I can for now. With any luck, I'll have it done within a year or so. I'll need some people to help with designing dungeons and the world map and some enemies and such, so anybody willing to help out getting this project done?
Also, as my latest project report, I've gotten the entire intro done, except for a very little bit of dialogue at the end of it. Anybody who wants to see what I've got, email me at ti89tcalc@gmail.com, and I'll send the file to you to try out. So far, it's only about 5k. Thanks!
Finally, if you just want to look at it, because I need some outside input on how I'm doing and some ideas, too, just email me saying that, and I'll sent the file to you. It's only one file, but it makes a separate file for the save. All in all, it's only two files! -) Thanks again!
Ooh, and I almost forgot, I recently added a little bit that uses flib, so that the key pressing has no delay and goes fairly fast, and it resets it back to normal afterwards. Don't worry, I've tested it out on my calculator, and you can't tell any difference afterwards, and it will never crash or anything.

Last edited by Guest on 22 Apr 2008 01:33:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
cjgone
Aw3s0m3

Posted: 22 Apr 2008 06:40:24 pm    Post subject:

Erm, one pixel character? =.=

Erm, when I meant minimal graphics, like, being able to draw awesome pics, but use squares, etc as place holders to awesome pics.

If you know ti-basic, you probably can do C. C++ won't really help a lot because you can't do object orientation for the calc.

BASIC89 ( maybe, i'm not to familiar with the syntax):

Code:
10->A
A + 3 -> A
While 1
A+1->A
end

C

Code:
//header garbage

void main( void )
{
      int a = 10;
      a = a+3;
      while (1)
      {
               a = a+1;
      }
}

If you know:

If\ While \ For \ Sub routine \ Array;

you can do C with no problem. The only thing that probably will help is learning structures, which is pretty simple.

Last edited by Guest on 22 Apr 2008 06:50:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 3 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement