This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
hydravien

Posted: 06 Apr 2008 07:43:50 pm    Post subject:

Hi All,

So I have managed to start a ti frenzy at my school... everyone has tetris, and a nifty little app me and a buddy made to solve quadratic equations...

So my question is, is it possible to splice some more connectors into the current ti link cable (these are ti 84+ and 83+ calcs but we all use the 83+ link) to work with multiplayer games such as ztetris and bomberkids? I doubt that it would be something that simple, but the reason i ask is that bomberkids has an option for 4 players.

Thanks,

Nick
angel14995

Posted: 06 Apr 2008 08:48:42 pm    Post subject:

I always thought that the 4-way was only using 2 calcs. I know you can play Bomberkids 2-player on 1 calc, so 2 calcs=4 players.

And it would probably need to have you do some things, like create a router. I'm not the one to say anything much about hardware, but there are probably diagrams out there that explain a theoretical 4-way link.
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Apr 2008 09:45:51 pm    Post subject:

DCS6 has the capability of doing this but no one has bothered to use it because it has very few uses and would be slower than normal linking which we all know is blazing fast Razz.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Apr 2008 09:46:29 pm    Post subject:

angel14995 wrote:
I always thought that the 4-way was only using 2 calcs. I know you can play Bomberkids 2-player on 1 calc, so 2 calcs=4 players.

And it would probably need to have you do some things, like create a router. I'm not the one to say anything much about hardware, but there are probably diagrams out there that explain a theoretical 4-way link.
[post="122255"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I thought someone made a circuit diagram for a 4-way link cable that would work with a special protocol. But I wasn't aware of any games or programs that actually used that protocol, since nobody wants to build their own cable just to play a game. So Bomberkids probably is 2 calcs with 4 players.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 07 Apr 2008 04:52:14 am    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
DCS6 has the capability of doing this but no one has bothered to use it because it has very few uses and would be slower than normal linking which we all know is blazing fast Razz.
[post="122256"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

lol, correct. Very Happy
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 07 Apr 2008 07:51:00 am    Post subject:

You wouldn't be able to play any already-existing games with a 3- or 4-way link cable, even if you made one; they don't have the code for it.
hydravien

Posted: 08 Apr 2008 02:55:06 pm    Post subject:

thanks guys thats what i thought
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 08 Apr 2008 04:42:26 pm    Post subject:

DarkerLine wrote:
You wouldn't be able to play any already-existing games with a 3- or 4-way link cable, even if you made one; they don't have the code for it.
[post="122263"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

and thus another reason why few would develop such a game Sad
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 08 Apr 2008 05:26:38 pm    Post subject:

Timendus did something along those lines: http://kvince83.tengun.net/maxboard/viewto...?t=1694&start=0
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 08 Apr 2008 09:18:02 pm    Post subject:

Well, if you had a 84+, couldn't you connect w/ the usb and the I/O port?
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 09 Apr 2008 07:43:07 pm    Post subject:

true, but you'll have to test for the calc model and then 3 way would probably be the easiest (1 master + 2 slave calcs)

that'd be kind of cool though ^^ imho, there just should be more link cable multiplayer games.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Apr 2008 08:19:38 pm    Post subject:

I agree. Unfortunately, my latest calculator game (which I started two days ago) uses the link port for...something else Very Happy
SonicBoom95

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 11:05:23 am    Post subject:

Why not just use the dual link ports on the 84 and up? You could link an infinite number of calcs with those.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 09:29:24 pm    Post subject:

the problem is trying to sync all the calculators up together, which gets harder the more calculators get added to this network. This is partly because each calc can only talk to two other calculators. Even if you link them in a circle, to get info from one calc all the way to the calc on the other side of the ring, and then send a response back, it will generally take a lot longer, although I don't have as much experience w/ the link port.

Keep in mind that both the link port and the USB part iirc are serial ports, so they only transfer data one bit at a time. The USB iirc is a little better because of some of the existing interfaces, as well as USB8x/MSD8x :)

magicdanw(): o.o sound?? coolness!!!

imho, in game sound would be a really cool thing to do.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 10 Apr 2008 09:46:43 pm    Post subject:

Well, I was going to keep you guessing, but I guess sound is the only other thing the link port is likely to be used for. Yup, it's a game that, if finished, will rely heavily on sound, so hopefully I'll be able to pump up the quality! Smile
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 06:59:54 am    Post subject:

imo the original mario86 had sound but they scraped it in place of gray scale coolness.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 Apr 2008 11:47:59 am    Post subject:

Liazon wrote:
Keep in mind that both the link port and the USB part iirc are serial ports, so they only transfer data one bit at a time.  The USB iirc is a little better because of some of the existing interfaces, as well as USB8x/MSD8x Smile
[post="122364"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Linking with the I/O port is well-understood, and I have some documentation on calc<->calc direct USB at http://brandonw.net/calcstuff/USBdocs.txt . It's not the best thing in the world, but it should be enough to get two calculators talking to each other. Best thing to do is look at a disassembly of pages 74h and 76h to see how the OS sends/receives large packets without issue.
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 12 Apr 2008 04:29:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm just pointing out it's not an ethernet cable.
benryves

Posted: 12 Apr 2008 04:50:57 pm    Post subject:

The calculator's link port is ideal for I²C, which has enough address space for 112 devices (and is a multi-master capable bus).
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Apr 2008 05:31:20 pm    Post subject:

So, would that protocol allow several calculators to be connected, using radio shack adapters to plug two standard cables into one calculator? That sounds like it could be pretty useful for games, since I think the stigma against multi-player games is that they might need link cables to be soldered together, which many people can't do (for instance, me! Razz)
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page 1, 2  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 2 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement