This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Your Projects subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Celtic III => Your Projects
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 06:34:30 pm    Post subject:

So I'm drawing pretty close to fully implementing xLIB into my application, but I still do not really know *how* to use xLIB as effectively as many of the other programmers around here do.

So, I've got a (relatively) simple request. I'd like two programs, preferably with an accompanying tilemap that will test the tilemapper, in both a very simple way, and in a more complex way.

The difference between the two is that I'd like one to test for basic functionality, while the other will test to determine how the tilemapper behaves if the inputs are apart from the documentation or other things that may affect performance.

If possible, design these, or perhaps a separate program, for the purposes of testing for speed (performance) and if I can get xLIB support working in my application, I'd like to know how I can tweak my application to run such programs as good or better than the original.

Much thanks for those who actually do this part of the project for me.
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 06:45:55 pm    Post subject:

would an full game do? I mean for example Metroid II: The Last Chozo Expansion Set. I think it doesn't use all functions but it use tilemapper and sprites
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 07:53:58 pm    Post subject:

DJ Omnimaga wrote:
would an full game do? I mean for example Metroid II: The Last Chozo Expansion Set. I think it doesn't use all functions but it use tilemapper and sprites
[post="122058"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Well, I was really wanting something that did not require any extensive installation, but if this is the only route I can go, I'd at least like instructions on how to detect any problems other than an outright crash.

A debugging mode might help.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 Mar 2008 08:21:40 pm    Post subject:

Here is the example that comes with xlib.

If you want to change stuff and play, look at the line that reads real(2,0,S,T,16,16,0,12,0,8,0,0,8,0 (about 15 lines in) in ADEMO. This is the tilemaper.

If you want to play with it, see this (near the bottom) for the arguments and what to change.
For example, you can putz with the 3rd to last argument to change the sprite method (AND,OR,XOR...)
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 04 Apr 2008 05:01:20 am    Post subject:

I think that the best way to test it, is to try it out with various games/programs.
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Apr 2008 03:54:04 pm    Post subject:

Okay. How about a demo program that will test just sprites of various sizes at non-aligned locations on the screen?

Something like that would certainly help me test the types of edits I've made to a routine I've found on the WikiTI regarding a clipped large sprite routine.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 09 Apr 2008 08:56:09 pm    Post subject:

Using the same program, look at the the line starting with real(1. Remove the 8s in front of the 2nd and 3rd arguments (8(X-S) and 8(Y-T). this will make the sprite left and right at pixel increments.

For the bigger sizes, change the 4th argument from 1 to 2 for 16 pixels wide and the 5th argument for whatever number for that height in pixels
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 06 May 2008 05:03:04 pm    Post subject:

I'm now looking for a program that will test all rendering methods of a sprite routine on a background that makes it apparent whether or not rendering has been completed successfully.

I'd also like a routine that can deal with the tilemapper in a similar way. The reason why I'm asking this is because I believe the culprit might be a rendering bug with the tilemapper. I've already seen teh tr1p's post about the recallPic thing, but I've fixed it and got no better results, though at one point, I did see those changeable blocks change. A small success, maybe? (but it's back to the way it was >.< )
tr1p1ea

Elite

Posted: 07 May 2008 02:27:43 am    Post subject:

Yeah its a strange one, obviously the matrix is being updated since you are allowed to move through the blocks ... you dont cache maps at all do you? Perhaps even caching of PICs ... did you say you did that, i dont recall.
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 07 May 2008 08:20:37 pm    Post subject:

During my studies, I found that the recallPic thing was partly responsible for the problem but I wound myself back to square one when I was done with the edits. I'm in the belief that it's a logic problem with the recallPic, the sprite routine, and/or the tilemapper. I would at least like a test routine that will cycle through all of these so that I can figure out what is needed, with full documentation of what the screen is supposed to look like when the logic is applied.

If it's not too much to ask, that is. Whoever does this may get a place in the credits coded right into the application along with the ReadME. Since reading the ReadME is a *must* when using my application... you'll be sure to get noted.
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 May 2008 02:41:29 pm    Post subject:

you mean you want to have a program to test the different ways of displaying it (overwrite, and, or, xor).
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 08 May 2008 08:44:18 pm    Post subject:

vuurrobin wrote:
you mean you want to have a program to test the different ways of displaying it (overwrite, and, or, xor).
[post="123411"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

For the sprite, tilemap, and the recallPic routines, yes. That's what I'd like, with clear evidence of what should be happening as opposed to any other logic condition. That is to say, I should be able to tell the difference between OR, AND, XOR, and overwrite conditions at any point during the routine.
Demon

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 May 2008 06:28:04 am    Post subject:

Try with PyroEdit 4. Razz </shameless plug>

Last edited by Guest on 09 May 2008 06:28:29 am; edited 1 time in total
vuurrobin

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 May 2008 01:18:02 pm    Post subject:

I've created a program for you that will test the overwrite, and, or, xor displaying part (in that order) of the drawsprite, tilemap and recall pic function.

the best way to see what the screen is supposed to be is to install xlib and run the program, since its a bit hard to decribe.

I tested the program with the latest downloadable celtic and it seems to work, exept that the recallpic doesn't clear/overwrite the bottom row.

Last edited by Guest on 09 May 2008 01:20:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
Iambian

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 May 2008 12:17:09 am    Post subject:

vuurrobin wrote:
I tested the program with the latest downloadable celtic and it seems to work, exept that the recallpic doesn't clear/overwrite the bottom row.
[post="123446"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I don't think it's supposed to alter the bottom line, since image files always omit the bottom line (unless they're saved via other means).

Still. Thanks for providing a test program for me. When I get around to downloading it onto the computer that houses my development environment, I'll go about testing it with the build of Celtic III that I have in development.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement