This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Website subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Provide United-TI with Feedback. => Website
angel14995

Posted: 29 Feb 2008 08:26:48 pm    Post subject:

I have noticed this a large amount on this forum - it seems like whenever you make a post, and then edit it, even within like 30 seconds, it says that it was edited. This sort of annoys me when I edit a post really early after I post, and nobody else has posted yet, and I am basically telling the world that I messed up somewhere in the post and had to correct it.

I'm thinking there should be a small free-period in which a person can hit the edit button and edit their post and not have the annoying message, like 5 minutes? What do you all think?
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 29 Feb 2008 11:05:21 pm    Post subject:

Well, I think one point of the edited message is so that if someone has already read it, they'll know to re-read it. But I think you're right, and something should be done to make it less intrusive. Perhaps within the first couple of minutes, if nobody has viewed the post, you'll be able to edit without the message.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Mar 2008 12:31:27 am    Post subject:

That was one thing that had always bothered me. (Truth be told, however, it doesn't bother many people!) I'm thinking a 2- or 3-minute period might be better, but only considering posts of average length that wouldn't require extensive proofreading. On another note, I use the Preview Post button like crazy, but then I usually end up editing equally as much. So, I absolutely know where you're coming from. :P

So, if a long-term change isn't introduced, I'll offer my services: send me a PM, quoting your post as you would have it after the edit, and I'll compare the times and contents – if the PM came within five minutes of the original post, then I'll erase the "edited by" message from that post. I will stress this to you, that you shouldn't fret about whether or not this would bother me. It might just take some hours to take effect. ;)

But, yeah, just consider me a robot with a huge amount of lag.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Mar 2008 12:34:16 am; edited 1 time in total
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Mar 2008 02:00:18 am    Post subject:

I think 90% of my forum posts says this

Last edited by Guest on 01 Mar 2008 02:31:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 01 Mar 2008 02:31:47 pm    Post subject:

Neutral

I agree with Weregoose, although I'm not going to provide edit services.
[Preview Post] is your friend.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Mar 2008 05:44:07 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I've gotta say sometimes I usually revise a post two or three times after I've sent it. Some stuff doesn't stand out for me until after it's up there with the other posts. Maybe something like a 5 or 10 minute limit would do it.
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Mar 2008 05:49:07 pm    Post subject:

This version of the forum software doesn't allow you to have a time limit before This post has been edited by... shows up.

Last edited by Guest on 01 Mar 2008 05:49:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
angel14995

Posted: 01 Mar 2008 06:54:10 pm    Post subject:

Then let's get Invision Power Services to update the software. Anyone else?
Liazon
title goes here

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 02 Mar 2008 09:36:11 am    Post subject:

DigiTan wrote:
Yeah, I've gotta say sometimes I usually revise a post two or three times after I've sent it.  Some stuff doesn't stand out for me until after it's up there with the other posts.  Maybe something like a 5 or 10 minute limit would do it.
[post="120930"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

same, especially with longer posts.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 02 Mar 2008 12:35:39 pm    Post subject:

Weregoose wrote:
I use the Preview Post button like crazy, but then I usually end up editing equally as much.
[post="120908"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

So that's what is using up so much bandwidth! Very Happy
DJ Omnimaga
http://i-lost-the-ga.me

Calc Guru

Posted: 02 Mar 2008 05:04:00 pm    Post subject:

LOL alexrudd ;.;

*points to his previous post*
WikiGuru
ADOS (Attention deficit... Oh! Shiny!)

Elite

Posted: 02 Mar 2008 11:14:19 pm    Post subject:

I don't really mind it, I preview post like crazy. I kind of wish that sometimes an edit post would be put as "not read", but I can see where that would be annoying if edited within 5-10 minutes.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement