This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. 68k Calculator Basic => TI-BASIC
bauerpower

Posted: 06 Dec 2007 05:39:10 pm    Post subject:

I am wondering if there are any programs or applications that would allow me to easily add and subtract in feet and inches. I would like to be able to input 6'5"+8'3.25" or similar and have it give an output in feet and inches.

I have a TI-89 Calculator

Last edited by Guest on 06 Dec 2007 05:50:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 06 Dec 2007 05:46:40 pm    Post subject:

if you have an ti 85 there's this, but as for a 83 goes, I don't think there is one. I would suggest building your own.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 06 Dec 2007 06:41:34 pm    Post subject:

He has an 89, although I think he edited his post after you posted. I don't know if the 89 has one, but Unit Ops works for the TI-83+.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 06 Dec 2007 07:27:06 pm    Post subject:

The TI-89 has built-in unit conversion. I don't own an 89, but I tried my best with this explanation through research: enter your number, press [2nd] [3], choose "Length" and go right, select the desired unit, and insert the convert symbol with [2nd] [MODE]. Follow it up with the other unit type that you obtain similarly and press enter. I assume you'll only get a decimal, but you can use the above process to get the feet, from which you'll take the integer part to subtract from the original number and then convert the remainder to inches. The result here would be the inches, and the integer part from earlier, the feet. This should work until you get better advice from an 89 expert!

Last edited by Guest on 06 Dec 2007 07:27:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
bauerpower

Posted: 07 Dec 2007 09:48:12 am    Post subject:

I am aware of the unit conversion opperation but am looking for a faster way to input and recieve results.
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Dec 2007 06:17:02 pm    Post subject:

Are there any TI-89 programmers slinking around?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Dec 2007 06:24:50 pm    Post subject:

There are, but I don't see any "faster" way than the built-in unit conversion - the most you could do is write a function, which would certainly be slower, and less convenient as well.

How would this work?

Define toFtInch(num)={floor(num/12),mod(num,12)}
Define footInch(foot,inch)=12*foot+inch

To do the math, you would use footInch to enter a value in feet and inches, and toFtInch to split it up. For example, 6'5"+8'3.25" would be done as follows:

toFtInch(footInch(6,5)+footInch(8,3.25))

You will get back {14 8.25} which stands for 14'8.25".

Alternatively, through a lengthy and tedious string parsing process, you could write a program that will be able to deal with an expression entered as 6'5"+8'3.25" directly, and return the answer in the same format. It seems to me to be overkill, though.

Last edited by Guest on 04 Sep 2010 07:27:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement