This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
jwymbs23

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 05:55:52 pm    Post subject:

The topic title is fairly descriptive, would it be possible to do this by hooking up a walkie talkie input to the calc output (probably with some resistors) and sending a signal to another calc hooked up similarly?
JoostinOnline

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 06:05:13 pm    Post subject:

I seriously doubt it. Besides, why would you want to do that if you already had walkie talkies to communicate with? Razz
Pseudoprogrammer

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 06:08:47 pm    Post subject:

I thought of this a few months ago and asked someone more knowledgeable in the way of the calc, they said it would be highly impractical, you would have to record <10 seconds of voice, then manage to get a sending device, and it would send pretty slowly at that.
magicdanw
pcGuru()

Calc Guru

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 06:30:05 pm    Post subject:

I don't think he wants to send sound over the walkie talkies. I think he wants to use them like a wireless link, for normal calculator communication. Which probably wouldn't work. Jwymbs23, if you have an 84+(SE), I'd talk to Brandon Wilson, because I think he's working on a USB WiFi driver for the calculator.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 06:32:32 pm    Post subject:

He is, but don't expect it soon because it is such a big project, not to mention all the other stuff he is working on.
jwymbs23

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 06:55:59 pm    Post subject:

Ok cool thanks
I was thinking that is would work to a certain extent though, because it would just be replacing the link cable with a wireless one, because a walkie talkie I think has an analog output and input.
I know it wouldn't be very fast and would probably take some assembly programming, or a new OS, but It might be an interesting way of sending programs.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 06:59:09 pm    Post subject:

There was a thing on ticalc.org about using a remote to build an ir comunication port, but I never really understood it...
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 31 Oct 2007 09:11:47 pm    Post subject:

It's 100% plausible. Keep in mind that these walkie talkie inputs are bandlimited, meaning they won't carry DC signals or any other frequency far outside the vocal range. Basically you'd need to transmit using tones. So your transmitter might send an audible tone, then the receiving calc would check for the presence of that tone by maybe counting the number high/low transitions in some time frame.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 01 Nov 2007 11:58:11 am    Post subject:

You'd also have an issue with needing to trigger the VOX PTT on each since it's only half-duplex.
benryves

Posted: 01 Nov 2007 12:04:54 pm    Post subject:

You'd probably be better off picking up a cheap RF module and building an adapter based off that. Something like the XBee, maybe.
netham45

Advanced Newbie

Posted: 19 Nov 2007 05:53:13 pm    Post subject:

I think you would loose too much quality over walkie talkies to be able to acomplish this.
iteration69

Posted: 12 Dec 2007 12:46:23 am    Post subject:

There really is no fundamental reason that this could not be done. I don't want to open up a can i can't finish though as i have my own back-back-back burner wireless link project as well as many other projects in the works. The wireless link project is short range and based off of set of wireless gameboy links. The links are very low power and idle quickly - that means the tx is shut down when there is no data stream to preserve battery power ( ideally it will be embedded inside the calculator so it will use the calculator batteries.)

So the final analysis here is that it can be done but you may want to consider some other methods first.

All projects require work. How much work do you want to do?

Double mention -> i have my own back-back-back burner projects, but i will gladly give advice.

Steve
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement