This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 09:41:18 am    Post subject:

I suppose its time i updated on my end too. Ive also been very busy, but slowly working on this project. Hopefully in 2 weeks, ill be able to fully start up this project again.
@Ben: I hope you didnt get vista.... but that suck tht it has no serial ports on it .But at least i have your other Vmusic programs from before to use for now. Thanks for all the help so far!
benryves

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 12:35:37 pm    Post subject:

rcfreak0 wrote:
@Ben: I hope you didnt get vista....
Of course I got Vista... :confused:
Quote:
but that suck tht it has no serial ports on it
It seems to be the norm. PCI controller boards are available, it's just that I'm not too keen to invest in one at the moment. I can dig out my old machine, but it's not exactly practical (and given that I have more than enough work I need to do, and little time for my own projects, not much help).

Last edited by Guest on 12 Jul 2007 12:36:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 01:19:09 pm    Post subject:

benryves wrote:
rcfreak0 wrote:
[post="110007"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

The Vista drivers aren't what you would call "stable". Plus they still need to fix some bugs and most of the extra features it offers aren't worth it (for example, Aero Glass just drains your video card/chip memory, so your better off running a video card with 1/4 the memory of the Vista one under XP).

Last edited by Guest on 13 Jul 2007 03:59:15 am; edited 1 time in total
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 04:37:48 pm    Post subject:

Delnar_Ersike wrote:
benryves wrote:
rcfreak0 wrote:

The Vista drivers aren't what you would call "stable". Plus they still need to fix some bugs and most of the extra features it offers aren't worth it (for example, arrowglass just drains your video card/chip memory, so your better off running a video card with 1/4 the memory of the Vista one under XP).
[post="110008"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

...wow, do you mean "Aero Glass" instead of "hourglass?"
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 08:10:25 pm    Post subject:

Either way...vista sucks. It uses too much memory and is unstable on certain machines. Im glad i at least have XP on one of my comps...
Groene07

Posted: 12 Jul 2007 10:04:07 pm    Post subject:

I don't mind it one bit. And since my computer's a beast, I don't have much to worry about.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 13 Jul 2007 03:58:54 am    Post subject:

kermmartian wrote:
Delnar_Ersike wrote:
benryves wrote:
rcfreak0 wrote:

The Vista drivers aren't what you would call "stable". Plus they still need to fix some bugs and most of the extra features it offers aren't worth it (for example, arrowglass just drains your video card/chip memory, so your better off running a video card with 1/4 the memory of the Vista one under XP).
[post="110008"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

...wow, do you mean "Aero Glass" instead of "hourglass?"
[post="110014"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Whoops, Aero Glass. Sorry, I don't have Vista and I've only heard of the features of Vista and its problems, not read.

Oh, and I got a list of games that do not work in Vista and games that work in Vista but cannot be detected by XFire (even if they can be detected in XP). The list is here.
benryves

Posted: 13 Jul 2007 04:32:44 am    Post subject:

I don't have any apps that don't work under Vista, and all of my hardware is fully supported. Aero runs very nicely on my X1300 Pro (256MB). Vista itself is happy on a Core 2 Duo with 2GB RAM. Overall, it's faster and smoother on a new machine than XP was when I last bought a new machine (and this new one cost half as much).

Naturally, it's sluggish on old hardware... but so is running XP on a machine that used to run 98, as was the "typical" upgrade path back then. :)

XP is, frankly, irritating to use now that I'm used to the myriad small tweaks made in Vista. I can't think of a single compelling reason to switch, but the small updates do add up. ;)

Anyway, this is calc mod topic, not a Vista lambasting one. Wink Unless someone can recommend a decent PCI (or PCI Express x1) parallel/serial controller? I'm leaning towards this one as I only have one free PCI slot.

Last edited by Guest on 13 Jul 2007 04:35:28 am; edited 1 time in total
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 Aug 2007 01:42:03 pm    Post subject:

Well, some of you may wonder "what the hell happened to this topic..?". Well, i got a little busy this summer with vacation, and some personal problems. Also i am moving agian, and i had to pack up my room, so this project got packed away. Though, now we are not moving for a while, and i unpacked that box. Sooo, i should be able to start this project up agian! Sadly i wont have updates for at least 2-3 days because of a wedding reception, and some other stuff. But atleast i will be starting this agian. So those of you wondering "what happened?" now you know! Thats it for updates on my end..
benryves

Posted: 15 Aug 2007 04:48:08 am    Post subject:

I still haven't got around to investing in a serial/parallel controller board, so no progress whatsoever here.

However, some good news from Vinculum: they've made the reflasher firmware upgrades publicly available (see their download page). Historically you could upgrade the VMusic2 firmware by constructing a cable for your PC, which might have been a bit off-putting for people (and off-putting for me as the later firmwares add some features and fix some bugs). The reflasher files simply need to be copied to the USB drive and the VMusic2 device will update itself (in the past you needed to request them personally from Vinculum).
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 15 Aug 2007 07:40:14 am    Post subject:

Ahh, well thanks for the link. Ill have to download it, and see if ill make a cable or not. Also, their is another delay on my end, since were moving, i had packed, then unpacked this project. Well..my parents decided to pack up some of my stuff and put it in the attic! guess what went up there too....my project. So now i have to dig the stuff out of the attic (gotta find the box) before i start work agian. So now their will be no updated for awile (sadly). Thats all for me now also.
JoostinOnline

Posted: 08 Oct 2007 06:50:02 pm    Post subject:

Why is this topic hidden?
Weregoose
Authentic INTJ

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 08 Oct 2007 07:21:44 pm    Post subject:

JoostinOnline

Posted: 08 Oct 2007 07:32:20 pm    Post subject:

Very Happy Wow, I feel stupid! Thanks Weregoose, I never noticed that before.
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 Oct 2007 08:11:52 pm    Post subject:

heh, wel i guess even the forum decided i wasnt active in this topic anymore. Well this project has stopped until schools over. I sold the 83+ i was gonna use for this, so i gotta wait till the end of the year so i can do it to my 84+SE. Im gonna wait, because i have to work durring the weekend, and probbably wouldnt finish the project before i needed my calculator back in school. Sorry for anyone who wanted this done, and im not to happy about it myself, but i needed the money. So hopefully next summer ill work on it again. If anything changes,ill post my updates here ASAP, unlike now where i waited forever to post an update, sorry guys.

--rcfreak0
benryves

Posted: 17 Oct 2007 07:32:09 am    Post subject:

Heh, well I bought a serial/parallel controller board for my PC, have a TiLP cables DLL that works with it and put on order two days ago some parts so I can make a "permanent" development board for this project. I was hoping to pick it up again soon. Sorry about the bad timing, hope you'll be able to use the results from this project soon.

Last edited by Guest on 17 Oct 2007 07:33:09 am; edited 1 time in total
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 17 Oct 2007 07:58:35 pm    Post subject:

Mabey i shouldn't say its stopped. I can still work on the project, i can just do the whole "mp3 player into calculator" at the moment. I can do everything else, so ben if you want to keep developing software, ill keep breadboarding on my end, i just meant that i cant add the mp3 player into my 84 until schools over. So i guess i shoulda phrased that a different way.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 9 of 9 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement