This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's TI-BASIC subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. TI-Basic => TI-BASIC
United-TI Archives -> TI-Basic

» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 22 Apr 2007 03:37:58 am    Post subject:

I decided to create a new menu category called 'Try It Out'. Like its name implies, it is meant to be the place for any pages that test the reader's comprehension of the information. So far, I have added the Review Exercises, Project Challenges, and Sample Programs pages. Does this work for you guys? Does anybody have any suggestions for improvements or changes to make?
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 22 Apr 2007 04:59:10 am    Post subject:

Thornahawk, I'll try to explain a little better what DarkerLine is talking about. When you go to the Homescreen page, you see a summary of the home screen and its commands, and then links to the individual command pages. The Homescreen page is treated like the parent page of the individual command pages (look at the breadcrumb trail at the top of the page):

This is essentially the same way that the commands are organized in the manual, so that's why it was chosen. You can do the same thing for the Math page, except you would probably add one more level in the page hierarchy because there are several math commands. For an example, here's what the breadcrumb trail for the abs( command page would look like:

Math Functions and Commands » Number Manipulations » The abs( Command

For help with editing pages, there is actually a Wiki Syntax page on the main Wikidot site that is quite comprehensive and a valuable reference. After experimenting with the wiki for a while, you will eventually get it. It's just like trying to learn Assembly Very Happy Did this post help you any?

Last edited by Guest on 22 Apr 2007 08:41:16 am; edited 1 time in total
thornahawk
μολών λαβέ

Posted: 22 Apr 2007 08:58:19 am    Post subject:

spandiv/burr,

I won't pretend that I suddenly got the hang of editing a wiki after reading your post and the syntax reference you linked to. Laughing And well, learning assembly thus far has been as enjoyable for me as a whole day session with my dentist. Just Joking.

Back on topic, I think I'll concentrate for the time being on what I can do best, which is writing descriptions for the math commands. Once that's out of the way, maybe another one of you can assist me with restructuring the page(s). ;)

thornahawk
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 01:19:38 pm    Post subject:

I've been working on the statistics commands lately. I've just finished writing the ANOVA( command description; the problem is that I have only a faint conception of what the ANOVA( command does. Most of the article is almost definitely correct, but the last paragraph could use some work, and in particular I have no clue what "Sxp" means. Can someone help me out?

BTW check out the rest of the commands. They're all accessible in an organized form through the Statistics page, and a fair bunch of them are actually done Smile That's because I actually know what I'm doing for the rest of them.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jun 2007 03:10:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 08:49:41 pm    Post subject:

I've been thinking recently that it might be a worthwhile project to make a TI-Basic cheat sheet, since it seems like some people have problems remembering how to use the commands. What do you guys think of this idea? If I went ahead and made one, I'd limit it to just one or two pages. Obviously, this means there won't be room for every command to be listed, so which commands do you think should be included?
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 08:54:27 pm    Post subject:

Some of the more obsolete ones.

There is a Catalog Help App, which I can't seem to find right now, but that lists all the arguments as they appear in the manual.
luby
I want to go back to Philmont!!

Calc Guru

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 08:56:07 pm    Post subject:

I can't seem to find it either
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 08:57:06 pm    Post subject:

Oh, really? :lol:

That was the one I was talking about Smile.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jun 2007 08:57:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 09:09:43 pm    Post subject:

There are some commands that it doesn't list the arguments for, and some of the others the arguments it gives are kind of confusing. So if you're going to make a "cheat sheet", if you have to limit it could you put the ones that CtlgHelp is vague on or doesn't have? I can't remember which ones exactly they are, so I'll go look for them
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 10:12:32 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
There is a Catalog Help App, which I can't seem to find right now, but that lists all the arguments as they appear in the manual.
The Catalog Help App is very helpful (no pun intended), but I figured a document would be easier to use when you program. Just imagine having the commands in related categories and on one or two pages. Doesn't that sound nice? Smile
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 10:14:41 pm    Post subject:

if people can figure out how to use 'ctrl-F' (I know, I know, it's really complicated), then you could make the file as large as needed and they could just search for whichever command they need
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 10:29:32 pm    Post subject:

Alternatively, you could wait until TIBD is finished (and has all the commands on it) and then you could use that.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 10:33:04 pm    Post subject:

oh, since this is in the TIBD topic I assumed this was meant to be a part of it.
So, how will a list of BASIC commands be put into TIBD? will it just be a list, or will they be separated by type?
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 10:37:40 pm    Post subject:

Well, there would be a page for each command, an alphabetical list linking to all these pages, and some categories that would also link to the pages. There will be breadcrumbs navigation based on the categories.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jun 2007 10:38:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Xphoenix

Elite

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 10:37:48 pm    Post subject:

Well, let's look at the command index, and see which commands we need to document in other places...

If you want to know the format for the Basic Developer, just go there.

EDIT: Beaten.

Last edited by Guest on 14 Jun 2007 10:38:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 10:39:02 pm    Post subject:

How about we just make all of the commands in that index links? That way we won't have to update it, and we'll know which ones still need to be written.
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 10:42:28 pm    Post subject:

I was wondering if the format was going to be changed, since not all commands have been listed, or if you were going to just keep expanding (I thought you were going to expand it, but Spandiv's idea sounded like you guys were going to change the format)
DarkerLine
ceci n'est pas une |

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 10:51:50 pm    Post subject:

It would also be cool if we changed the structure of some pages like the math page so that each command has its own page. But it looks like that's going to get done sometime.
spandiv
-- Retired --

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 11:03:34 pm    Post subject:

simplethinker wrote:
oh, since this is in the TIBD topic I assumed this was meant to be a part of it.
So, how will a list of BASIC commands be put into TIBD? will it just be a list, or will they be separated  by type?
I'm not sure if you guys understand what a cheat sheet is, so here's an example: Prototype Cheat Sheet by Jonathan Snook. This would be a supplement to the TIBD wiki, and be a file you could download. Does this make sense?
simplethinker
snjwffl

Posted: 14 Jun 2007 11:10:19 pm    Post subject:

aah, I gotcha now. Separate from the wiki and can just be downloaded/printed for use, not completely comprehensive, but a complete list? that would be really useful, good idea!
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    » Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 10 of 12 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement