This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
nuva

Posted: 30 May 2007 11:09:29 am    Post subject:

I'm trying to get music out of my calc but how do i put headphones or somting like that in it? I already tryed the headphones but i noticed the 0/1 EXIT of my TI84+ was to small Sad

How do i have to do this?

THNX Nuva :biggrin:
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 May 2007 11:18:02 am    Post subject:

I believe it's a pair of 2.5mm headphones.

However, I have also heard that if you stick your calc next to an AM radio while the calc is playing and tune the radio, you can hear it. I've never done this, but there are several stories on it.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 May 2007 11:31:53 am    Post subject:

You need a 2.5mm <> 3.5mm converter jack to plug in headphones.
nuva

Posted: 30 May 2007 11:47:44 am    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
However, I have also heard that if you stick your calc next to an AM radio while the calc is playing and tune the radio, you can hear it.  I've never done this, but there are several stories on it.
[post="106088"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Looks cool Razz
I'm going to try this tonight (got no time now Neutral )
but what fequentie do i have to search then?

Last edited by Guest on 30 May 2007 11:48:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Harrierfalcon
The Raptor of Calcs

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 30 May 2007 11:55:58 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure....just swivel the dial slowly until you hear the thing you're playing.
kermmartian
Site Admin Kemetech

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 May 2007 12:00:58 pm    Post subject:

Any area of static on the AM band will work.
nuva

Posted: 30 May 2007 01:47:20 pm    Post subject:

Weleuhm....
I tryed it and it doesn't work at all Sad Neutral
c_plus_plus
My Face Hertz

Posted: 30 May 2007 01:49:22 pm    Post subject:

Harrierfalcon wrote:
However, I have also heard that if you stick your calc next to an AM radio while the calc is playing and tune the radio, you can hear it.  I've never done this, but there are several stories on it.
[post="106088"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

yes... Indeed that works and I've tried it, but It is either very bad quality or very quiet. I went to radio shack to get the adapter and it works wonderfully. Also, I'm sure there are MANY topics on this forum on this issue.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 30 May 2007 02:28:20 pm    Post subject:

To get sound from your calc to your headphones, you need a 3.5 to 2.5 jack converter (which usually costs around 3$), and you need some programs on your calc that will produce the sound (examples: RealSound, mt3 with DoorsCS6, and many others) Laughing
Jim e

Advanced Member

Posted: 30 May 2007 04:53:45 pm    Post subject:

WHAT!?! You can plug headphones into your calc!! omgs! :D

AM radio works just because of the nature of AM. The quality will be poor at best, and VERY QUIET.

Radio shack sells a head phone adaptor. Pricey as hell, my good headphones cost me about $0.96.

The link port wasn't designed for sound, the voltage varies across models I believe. So you will likely need some type of amplifier to actually hear much.
Madskillz

Posted: 30 May 2007 05:00:51 pm    Post subject:

I dont know the standard fare for cell phones now a days...but most of the older models use a 2.5mm headphone jack and work great for the calc.

Yes the AM radio mess does work but it is nothing compared to the quality of good headphones.

You can always make your own...using a piezo buzzer, a 2.5mm jack and some soldering skills. That is a cheap solution as well, but again beeps and blips is all you will be able to get compared to the headphones.

Last edited by Guest on 30 May 2007 05:01:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 May 2007 05:04:50 pm    Post subject:

NOt really you just need to be in a low volume area or hook it up to some speakers. I have two adapters and i can hear my songs just fine.
sgm

Calc Guru

Posted: 30 May 2007 06:42:48 pm    Post subject:

Q&D solution:

1. Put calc-to-calc link cable in calculator port.
2. Put headphones on head.
3. Hold the two jacks together side-by-side until you get sound coming through one or (if you can get it just right) both of the speakers.
4. ????
5. Fail to profit because its really too much of a PITA to keep jacks aligned properly to be practical; but it's good for a quick laugh.
alexrudd
pm me if you read this

Bandwidth Hog

Posted: 30 May 2007 08:08:47 pm    Post subject:

I actually did that for quite some time with some tape and a few bare wires in between. It's not that I can't buy an adapter; I'm just too lazy to go to Radio Shack just for it.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 30 May 2007 08:29:16 pm    Post subject:

Adding onto the jack converter, I figured out a way to listen to stereo sound from a mono converter (it costs ~$1 less). It also amplifies all sound on stereo headphones, but it makes sound coming from one of the speakers a bit quieter. The trick is to plug in the headphones into the jack, then into the calculator, but not all the way into it. Just plug the jack into the calculator, then slightly pull on it. Once you have done that, slowly turn the jack until you hear the music getting louder (the difference is so huge, you'll never miss it).
The only problems are that it makes one speaker quieter if you have stereo headphones/speakers, that it amplifies ALL sound (even the annoying high-end noise if you are using RealSound), and that it is very hard to pull just right onto the jack to achieve this (pull too soft, the sound stays the same; pull too hard, there will be no sound).
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 01 Jun 2007 08:47:24 am    Post subject:

That's for the ti84 plus, right? I noticed that too. It works best when you have the sound recorded on the loudest possible degree Wink
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 01 Jun 2007 10:01:42 am    Post subject:

Nope, it works on the 84+SE and the 83+SE, too. I don't know about it on the 83+, however.
leofox
INF student

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 01 Jun 2007 10:29:45 am    Post subject:

http://tangentsoft.net/audio/cmoy-tutorial/

You probably could change the schematics of this to include the 2.5mm female port instead of 3,5mm, then use the calc to calc cable.
benryves

Posted: 01 Jun 2007 11:53:13 am    Post subject:

You could simply build a crude power amplifier (couple of transistors and resistors).
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement