This is an archived, read-only copy of the United-TI subforum , including posts and topic from May 2003 to April 2012. If you would like to discuss any of the topics in this forum, you can visit Cemetech's Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics subforum. Some of these topics may also be directly-linked to active Cemetech topics. If you are a Cemetech member with a linked United-TI account, you can link United-TI topics here with your current Cemetech topics.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. Calculator Modifications => Calculator Hardware, Electronics, Robotics
ForthReich

Posted: 07 May 2007 10:08:22 pm    Post subject:

Just dreaming, but what would one have to do to add this device to an 84+. If this was even close to possible, I suppose a programmer would create an interrupt code to change left, right on analog to left, right on keypad, Y to 2nd, A to Alpha, etc.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 08 May 2007 03:06:28 pm    Post subject:

It would be dificult to reconfigure the input from the controller to the output on the calc screen, but since the mp3 player thread is prolific*, then I guess this is possible too :)

*Inserted in order to practice English Pre-AP vocabulary skills Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Guest on 08 May 2007 03:07:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 May 2007 03:41:24 pm    Post subject:

ForthReich wrote:
Just dreaming, but what would one have to do to add this device to an 84+. If this was even close to possible, I suppose a programmer would create an interrupt code to change left, right on analog to left, right on keypad, Y to 2nd, A to Alpha, etc.
[post="103281"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Probably not that hard with usb8x, but who knows. The original Xbox controller won't work because it has an integrated hub (for the memory cards and whatnot), but even then it's not guaranteed to fail.
DigiTan
Unregistered HyperCam 2

Super Elite (Last Title)

Posted: 09 May 2007 05:12:19 pm    Post subject:

It should work as long as they stick to the lowest USB bitrates. The problem might be getting reverse compatibility from existing games. Those programs already depend on GetCSC and similar methods to get key data. So you would have to somehow fake keypress like they do with various TIs. Probably by overwriting a keypress storage buffer somewhere in RAM.

Storing the key codes to the right RAM location will fool most games.

Last edited by Guest on 09 May 2007 05:12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jim e

Advanced Member

Posted: 09 May 2007 08:47:59 pm    Post subject:

ChillStream? ha yeah right. Its probably behind a hub, and I'd bet money that it exceeds power limitations.

Gamecube controller did work. But most high speed games perform direct input. So its impossible for them to use an external controller without modification.
Delnar_Ersike
Lazy H4xx0r

Posted: 09 May 2007 10:12:05 pm    Post subject:

Also, why would you want to attach an external controller to your calculator? I understand if it was a mouse of a keyboard, but why a controller? The current layout of the buttons is fine and easier to access than a controller's. Plus, the screen on a calculator is so small, you won't see a thing if you are using a controller to control it. However, if you can get the calculator to output to a larger monitor and get some great, multiplayer games, then I think it'll be worth it. Razz
ForthReich

Posted: 09 May 2007 10:14:08 pm    Post subject:

I was thinking there are many items run off of USB, a controller is just one of them.
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 10 May 2007 02:50:13 am    Post subject:

Power limitations are no longer an issue (use a hub as a pass-through or build the power circuit), and there is some preliminary hub code in usb8x which at least works with MSD devices, so gamepads aren't out of the question. As far as using them without modification in games, you could use a GetCSC hook, but if it's direct input, then no.

Probably none of that needed to be said (again), but I'm bored.

Last edited by Guest on 10 May 2007 02:51:44 am; edited 1 time in total
rcfreak0

Advanced Member

Posted: 11 May 2007 08:30:46 am    Post subject:

Fourth, you could just get an a smaller controller that wont take alot of code to get working. Better yet, go buy a 4G jumpdrive to hook it up to you calc, and downlod bunches of files from ticalc to put on it.

--rcfreak0
Recursive Acronym

Advanced Member

Posted: 16 May 2007 09:19:05 pm    Post subject:

brandonw wrote:
Power limitations are no longer an issue (use a hub as a pass-through or build the power circuit), and there is some preliminary hub code in usb8x which at least works with MSD devices, so gamepads aren't out of the question. As far as using them without modification in games, you could use a GetCSC hook, but if it's direct input, then no.

[post="103588"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Just the person to whom I wanted to say, "Welcome to UTI!!"

A question... isn't having to call USB8x much slower than implementing the code yourself?
TheStorm

Calc Guru

Posted: 19 May 2007 09:27:21 pm    Post subject:

USB8x has game pad support already so no need to ad any thing just make a game to use it.
frenchcalc1
جان ألعريم

Posted: 20 May 2007 01:12:09 pm    Post subject:

TheStorm wrote:
USB8x has game pad support already so no need to ad any thing just make a game to use it.
[post="104658"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I think Recursive Acronym was asking if it would be slower if one implements the code himself, or if he calls Usbx from a program. I think implementing the code in the game would be faster, but it depends upon if the game is BASIC calling an ASM routine or if the game is just ASM.

Last edited by Guest on 20 May 2007 01:12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
brandonw

Advanced Member

Posted: 24 May 2007 02:53:30 pm    Post subject:

Recursive Acronym wrote:
brandonw wrote:

[post="103588"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

Just the person to whom I wanted to say, "Welcome to UTI!!"

A question... isn't having to call USB8x much slower than implementing the code yourself?
[post="104287"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post]

I just now saw this question...no, it's not going to be all that slower at all. Several things use usb8x already and there's no slowdown. USBTools has keyboard OS integration which is very fast, and Jim wrote code which is capable of audio and video as well as going through usb8x and all the MSD overhead (though he didn't release it, that I know of).

And it's much better to have all the low-level USB code all in one place, such as usb8x...that way, if TI starts changing around stuff (which they did between boot code 1.00 and 1.02), only one thing needs to be updated. So, I don't recommend dealing with low-level USB at all, unless you absolutely have to, or want to work on usb8x.
Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
    »
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 1 of 1 » All times are UTC - 5 Hours

Advertisement