something1990 wrote:
What's up with the test? I agree with Kerm that it only tests a few of a browser's abilities, because Internet Explorer doesn't mess up a page that horribly. As far as I know that acid test is one of the few instances where it doesn't show me what I want to see. Anyways, so from what I've seen in this thread Konqueror and Opera are the best browsers. I should give them a try.

in order of excellence

Safari RSS (Mac 10.4) and Opera 9 (everything)
Konqueror (linux, requires KDE), iCab (Mac OS X)
Opera 8 (everything)
Safari 2 (Mac OS X)
Firefox (everything)
IE 6 (windows)
IE 5.5 (Mac and Windows

of course there are others, but those are the major ones. If you are using Windows, your only choices from this list are IE, Opera or Firefox. go with opera. if you are on Linux, use Opera 9 or Konqueror. if you are on OS X 10.4 use Safari RSS or Opera. if you are on Panther or lower, use iCab or Opera 9.
Good deal. I'll probably download FireFox sometime this week.
something1990 wrote:
Good deal. I'll probably download FireFox sometime this week.

whoops, I meant Opera....Im editing my post now
elfprince13 wrote:
just cause Konqueror ain't perfect, dont flip.

eh, i don't use konqueror anyway, i'm a firefox man myself (mainly just cause it fits in gnome so much better than Opera...)
MSN Explorer:

@something1990: Stop polluting the Internet. Get off Internet Explorer NOW.
elfprince13 wrote:
something1990 wrote:
What's up with the test? I agree with Kerm that it only tests a few of a browser's abilities, because Internet Explorer doesn't mess up a page that horribly. As far as I know that acid test is one of the few instances where it doesn't show me what I want to see. Anyways, so from what I've seen in this thread Konqueror and Opera are the best browsers. I should give them a try.

in order of excellence

Opera 8 (everything)
Safari 2 (Mac OS X)
Firefox (everything)
IE 6 (windows)
IE 5.5 (Mac and Windows

of course there are others, but those are the major ones. If you are using Windows, your only choices from this list are IE, Opera or Firefox. go with opera. if you are on Linux, use Opera 9 or Konqueror. if you are on OS X 10.4 use Safari RSS or Opera. if you are on Panther or lower, use iCab or Opera 9.

You're calling Konqueror superior to FF?? Not so, my friend, not so. Sad
KermMartian wrote:
elfprince13 wrote:
something1990 wrote:

in order of excellence

Opera 8 (everything)
Safari 2 (Mac OS X)
Firefox (everything)
IE 6 (windows)
IE 5.5 (Mac and Windows

in terms of rendering, it most certainly is.

does anyone have pics of Netscape or Mozilla (the one with a dino head, not Foxy).
KermMartian wrote:

Look at the comparison pics i posted. Opera was slightly better than FFx at rendering, but Konqueror gave a near-perfect rendering that was the best of the bunch (of the ones i tested)

@Jpez, posting MSN Explorer isn't needed as it is just IE (ie's an embeddable library in windows.)

@Elf: I thought Netscape and Mozilla both used the Gecko engine, same as firefox and epiphany, but i can post pics of those when i get home
Kllrnohj wrote:
KermMartian wrote:

Look at the comparison pics I posted. Opera was slightly better than FFx at rendering, but Konqueror gave a near-perfect rendering that was the best of the bunch (of the ones I tested)

@Jpez, posting MSN Explorer isn't needed as it is just IE (ie's an embeddable library in windows.)

@Elf: I thought Netscape and Mozilla both used the Gecko engine, same as firefox and epiphany, but I can post pics of those when I get home

I though Gecko was based on Netscape, but that they diverged at some point in the past...like Webkit and KHTML.
elfprince13 wrote:
I though Gecko was based on Netscape, but that they diverged at some point in the past...like Webkit and KHTML.

Mozilla left from Netscape. Mozilla now runs Gecko. I thought Netscape still used Gecko though, even though Mozilla split off from Netscape....
Yes, Netscape uses Gecko.
jpez wrote:

So then what does FF1.5 use for rendering? I thought they came up with an entirely new engine for 1.5...
KermMartian wrote:
jpez wrote:

So then what does FF1.5 use for rendering? I thought they came up with an entirely new engine for 1.5...

A newer version of Gecko Laughing
Oh :/ I didn't realize it was all the same engine. Is it open source by any chance? Or is that a stupid question...
KermMartian wrote:
Oh :/ I didn't realize it was all the same engine. Is it open source by any chance? Or is that a stupid question...

1) Yes, its open source

2) That WAS a stupid question Razz

http://www.mozilla.org/newlayout/
Yeah, I had a feeling it was stupid, since FF itself is opensource. Oh well. Smile Those are some pretty impressive demos though.
Woot! I just downloaded and installed Opera 8.5. I noticed the results immediately after launching it. Opera is a great browser. Very Happy Thank you for enlightening me to this wonderful thing called Opera.
Best in the business. Smile
no...thats Safari. Apple are the only ones with the good sense not too give Windows users a good browser....
something1990 wrote:
Woot! I just downloaded and installed Opera 8.5. I noticed the results immediately after launching it. Opera is a great browser. Very Happy Thank you for enlightening me to this wonderful thing called Opera.
How does it compare to FF in your opinion?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 3
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours