Chipmaster wrote:
I already have partitioned my drive. I have Ubuntu installed. My only problem is a couple of things went wrong in the install, which Kllrnohj was helping me solve Smile

Chip: I'm on AIM now if you want to keep working on that problem....
KermMartian wrote:
Looks to me like it's yet another annoying proprietary thing by M$. Sad

probably, I just thought off something, I have a 2k Server drive (seperate disk) on my comp, convert that to dynamic and see how Linux likes it. What is the worst that happens, no access to drive. The dynamic disk has some nice advantages to it
Quote:
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
@chip:

You may want to download the SystemRescueCD to partition your drive; it also allows you to resize partitions
I already have partitioned my drive. I have Ubuntu installed. My only problem is a couple of things went wrong in the install, which Kllrnohj was helping me solve

Oops; I meant @swivel Razz
woot... i did it!

Ubuntu is installed, I just have to get proper stuff for it... (media players with REAL codecs, etc...)
alex10819 wrote:
woot... I did it!

Ubuntu is installed, I just have to get proper stuff for it... (media players with REAL codecs, etc...)

nice. The ubuntu apt repositories has alot of those, but you have to enable them (multiverse and universal are the two i think) see the ubuntu wiki for more info (just do a search for repositories)
well, in the meantime, i've gota get NDISwrapper and stuff installed, since it doesnt recognize my wifi or ethernet...
I installed, and then uninstalled Ubuntu and now I am getting this wierd error 22 from this booter that linux put on my comp. Help me take it off!! I hate it! I cant even use windows anymore! Help me get it off my comp please.
What, Grub or LILO?
http://www.webtree.ca/windowsxp/repair_xp.htm#How%20to%20Repair%20the%20Boot%20Sector:
GRUB, I had to reinstall linux just now so I could access windows
eew... i cant say i liked it overly much either...

I need a distro that actually lets me view my files... (yeah... Ubuntu locked all my drives except one and said only root could view them, but root is disabled in Ubuntu... go figure...)

Any good distros that dont do that?
I see, Well I think that Ubuntu made it that way so that they could have there OS used or at least on your computer. Garrr.
What formatting style are those drives. Linux can't read NTFS. In my ubuntu I can't see my C drive because it's NTFS.

Edit: Wait, I take that back. I'm pretty sure that Linux can read NTFS, it just can't write to it. Just make a FAT32 transfer partition if you want to read and write files between Windows and Linux.
a FAT32 and a NTFS (but that doesnt show up period)

I also cant view the partition it's installed on... and i cant edit my config files or use any of the administrative tools... (they all try to start and just... quit)
Alex wrote:
I also cant view the partition it's installed on... and I cant edit my config files or use any of the administrative tools... (they all try to start and just... quit)

Dude, I had the same problem. Kllrnohj fixed it for me very quickly. I'd ask him. Smile

I'd talk to Kllrnohj in general before you abandon Ubuntu. He helped me with all of my problems, and now I love Ubuntu Very Happy
hmm, maybe I should thing Ubuntu. Does anyone know how much more different it is then FC4?
allright, i'll send him a PM...

I'm a total linux noob, I cant even manage to get files to install properly... and it doesnt recognize my network hardware, so i cant use the apt-get thingy... we'll see...
Arcane Wizard mentioned something about command line wifi tools. Maybe you can also get help with him on that. http://www.unitedti.org/index.php?showtopic=4730&pid=73859&st=0&#entry73859
I am using EXT3 for ubuntu, and then it automaticly made a Linux Swap drive and also an extended drive.
hmm... ok, i'll try that!

thanks for all the help guys... (it wont be forgotten... you're all welcome to free lifetime AlexForum licenses if you want Razz)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 6 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours