KermMartian wrote:
Ummm, read that other topic. And Kllrnohj, I _do_ know what I'm talking about. I mentioned our dilemma to one of the top Linux people at the top engineering school in the country (Rolling Eyes) and he said Ext3 would be the next best option after reseirfs (sp?), since it's the most backwards compatible. He said that if an ext3 system is shut down stably, it's actually readable even as ext2 because the journalling is stored separately. So there. Smile

It may be second best, but why use second? Use reiserfs! if he would have read the other topic the first 50 times i told him to then we wouldn't have had this problem.

and until you do it yourself you have no idea what you are talking about.
But I _have_ done it myself, just not on my own computer.
KermMartian wrote:
But I _have_ done it myself, just not on my own computer.

and if you chose ext3 over reiserfs for any reason then you messed up.

resierfs is much faster
Ys, but Ubuntu's partitioner does not offer reiserfs.
btw, i'm gonna install ubuntu tonight i think... i figured out that torrents resume, so i torrented the install disk Smile
Awesomeness. You're going to follow the Install Ubuntu Linux topc, right? Cool
no, i'm going to use my massive experience installing such complext distros as puppy to guide my intuition...</sarcasm>

actually, i think i'll follow that condensed guide you gave me on AIM...
Yay, then I look forward to hearing how it goes. So keep in mind, use 'reiserfs' if you can find it. Wink
bah... cant we just create cemefs?
KermMartian wrote:
Well, I know that to be completely untrue Razz It damn well does, Kerm!

Kllrnohj wrote:
and if you chose ext3 over reiserfs for any reason then you messed up. resierfs is much faster
Why is reiserfs faster? I believe you, but I guess what I really mean is how do FAT32, NFTS, FAT16 (exists?), FAT, EXT2, EXT, and ReiserFS differ? I thought that these formatting styles stored the location and information from each program at the beginning of the hdd and then the actually program binary is located after this information section. Is that even correct? If so, how and why do they do it differently? Question
Chipmaster wrote:
KermMartian wrote:
Well, I know that to be completely untrue Razz It <font color=red>censored</font> well does, Kerm!

Then I completely didn't see it. My bad. Smile
hmm...

/me freed up 28gb of harddrive space last night by moving all his music videos to the external drive...
That's a perfect amount of space. Just "obtain" partition magic, shrink the drive and go!
yeah, great amount of space.

Also, FAT, FAT16, and FAT32 are all similar, FAT is either FAT16 alone, or refers to FAT16 and FAT32 collectivly, deppending on context.

Also, does any one know if Linux will work on a Dynamic Disk?
rivereye wrote:

dynamic disk? thats just an OS (in this case, windows NT) feature. as i understand it, it is just a RAW partition. So, to answer your question, no. But that doesn't mean that you can't just have another, non-dynamic disk partition and use that instead
@chip:

You may want to download the SystemRescueCD to partition your drive; it also allows you to resize partitions
Kllrnohj wrote:
rivereye wrote:

dynamic disk? thats just an OS (in this case, windows NT) feature. as I understand it, it is just a RAW partition. So, to answer your question, no. But that doesn't mean that you can't just have another, non-dynamic disk partition and use that instead

Don't you mean a Live Disk? Where you can try it without actually installing it?
KermMartian wrote:
Don't you mean a Live Disk? Where you can try it without actually installing it?

dynamic disk-> http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=dynamic+disk&btnG=Google+Search
Looks to me like it's yet another annoying proprietary thing by M$. Sad
Ultimate Dev'r wrote:
@chip:

You may want to download the SystemRescueCD to partition your drive; it also allows you to resize partitions
I already have partitioned my drive. I have Ubuntu installed. My only problem is a couple of things went wrong in the install, which Kllrnohj was helping me solve Smile

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
» Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
» View previous topic :: View next topic  
Page 5 of 8
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours