jpez wrote:
Ubuntu looks like someone took a poop on your screen.

i personally love the ClearLooks theme thats the default for Gnome 2.12+

screenshot of my Gnome: http://www.kllrnohj.com/images/2005.1/Screenshot.png
Nice. Oldish screenie, though, no?
KermMartian wrote:
Nice. Oldish screenie, though, no?

yup, but it still looks mostly like that, the only thing different is the wallpaper, lol

i would take a new one (now that i got my dual-mons working right, its alot wider) but i'm at school
I was mostly noticing Cemetech's skin and the Latest News section. Very Happy
fine, here's a more up to date screenshot (as in i just took it, lolz)

http://www.kllrnohj.com/images/Screenshot_3-28.png (1.1mb)
Nice, way to dualmon. Smile
nice screen, dual monitors? I love Gnome for some reason, and I used to be a KDE man
dualmon = dual monitors.
So which linux distro should I dualboot on my tablet?
Kerm, I posted a second after you did. I like Fedora Core on my comps. You may not have a touchscreen in Linux though
KermMartian wrote:
dualmon = dual monitors.
So which linux distro should I dualboot on my tablet?

Depends on what you want.

Just Works but severly limited in tweak-ability: Ubunutu

Little more difficult, and a bit more flexible, yet still easy: Debian

All out balls-to-the-walls tweak the hell out of it for maxXx performance: Gentoo

Ub3rZ 1337 h4xx0rZ m45t3rZ: Linux From Scratch (its a book)

Gentoo and Linux From Scratch have the highest probability in being able to 'hack'-force your touchscreen to work since you configure and compile the kernel yourself, meaning you could use 3rd party patches if necessary

I personally started with Debian, then when i broke it, went to Gentoo (and I've loved it!)

WARNING: Gentoo and Linux From Scratch require massive amounts of compiling, as EVERYTHING is compiled from source. While this gets you the maximum performance (specific CPU tweaks, disabling options you don't want, etc...), it takes a loooong time. My Athlon XP 2500 with 1gb of RAM took pretty much 36 hours of continous compiling to get a Gnome Desktop with FireFox, Rythmbox (best music player ever), mplayer, xine, GIMP, and GAIM + all the preinstalled Gnome stuff (like Mozilla, Epiphany, some games, etc..) - that doesn't include the initial install (which just gives you a command line)
Wow. What kinds of GUI stuff can you patch onto Debian?
How am I supposed to download Linux Fedora on a fast comp if it(says) it takes aroun 6Days and 8Hours? I am trying to get the 5 Fedora and it does'nt look like much is going to be able to happen while I am trying to get Fedora 5 on my comp.

Also my bro was contridicting my dission(as usual) about getting Linux period, he said it sucks(horrible reason why not to get it), no one uses it(another horrible reason) and that because its open source and what ever making it way to liable for hackers to get in and viruses to screw it. Is any of this a problem with you guys? I personaly do not believe that any of this is a problem, and that some may not be true. He also suggested that I get Windows Business, since its 'What I am looking for' if I want Linux.

Sorry I posted this here, I think I will repost this in a new topic for further discussion. Please do not close the new topic that has this quoted in it. Smile

-Swivel
Kerm: What do you mean by GUI 'patch'?

Oh, and i forgot to mention, debian is often "outdated" per se (packages considered "stable" are often far behind the times, such as gnome 2.8 being the 'newest' stable gnome)
Kllrnohj wrote:
fine, here's a more up to date screenshot (as in I just took it, lolz)

http://www.kllrnohj.com/images/Screenshot_3-28.png (1.1mb)
Got enough tabs opened to Cemetech?
jpez wrote:

i just open in a new tab every new post, then i don't have to sit and wait for crap to load as much Smile
I do that on 5 calc site simulataneously...3 posts open at once and 5 sites. everytime Im done in a topic I close it out.
Kllrnohj wrote:
jpez wrote:

I just open in a new tab every new post, then I don't have to sit and wait for crap to load as much Smile
On your amazingly fast self-compiled Gentoo distro?
jpez wrote:
On your amazingly fast self-compiled Gentoo distro?

But of course Wink
someone split this please...
elfprince13 wrote:
someone split this please...

why? isn't this meant to be random?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 2 of 4
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours