Can I backlit my ti-84 silver plus with an optic-fiber light-cable? I think the cable can surround the display inside the case, without needing to un-glue the screen and that metal plate. (I don't mean just one cable : multiple thin fiber optic cables, lit up by one big led, then the ends lined-up to one side of the screen. The same, for the other side of the screen).

Or something like this : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tf6_GaXPOEQ .Of course, addapted to the calc power supply.
Because of the optics of the screen, my experience suggests you would have trouble getting enough internal reflection. I will post a more complete post later when I'm not on my phone.
Ok. I have another question : can I use rechargeable batteries (accumulators) to power my calc? The batteries are kinda expensive and 1.5V ones are hard to find.
editheraven wrote:
Ok. I have another question : can I use rechargeable batteries (accumulators) to power my calc? The batteries are kinda expensive and 1.5V ones are hard to find.
We find that the calculators operate quite poorly on 1.2V NiMH and NiCd rechargeable batteries, because even the fully-charged state of those batteries is close to the low battery state of alkaline batteries. If you can find 1.5V rechargeables, your calculator would be much happier.
Well I might find 1.5 rechargeables but I've read that the voltage is not as steady as in normal batteries. They go below 1.5 much faster than a regular battery. These are the only alcaline rechargables I found : http://www.akushop.ro/images/products/347/606/Baterie_reincarcabila_alkalina_LR03___AAA__PURE_ENERGY_4buc_blister_ENG_AAA_card.jpg . Anyway my calc is not here *yet* (but will, after shipping) and I cannot wait to program stuff on it.
*bump* : Today my ti-84 came Very Happy My fear of having a lower-RAM version vanished when I saw this

Code:
Product Name: TI-84 Plus Silver Edition
Product Id: 0A3FC0609
Language Id: 9 1

Device Type: 73
Hardware Version: 3
Boot Version: 1.00
OS Version: 2.55
Run level: boot

LCD width: 96 pixels
LCD height: 64 pixels
Bits per pixel: 1

Physical RAM: 128 KB
User RAM: 24317 bytes
Free RAM: 24157 bytes
Physical FLASH: 2 MB
User FLASH: 1 MB
Free FLASH: 1 MB

Battery: good

Now I have a few questions : what is the diff between sending apps/programs to RAM/flash? Flash memory is bigger and seems to be better to send apps there, as there is more space. Or the trick is that RAM is simply faster?
while im not sure about the exact technical detail of Flash and Ram, i do know that you will need special applications to actually run things from flash. my personal preferences are using both CrunchyOS and DoorsCS, the former only for programs you need quick access for.

the best way to imagine Flash is like a storage area. the Calc on its own is incapable of actually using programs and most data in flash, with the main exception of Flash applications. Flash applications exist only in flash.

now, i tend to send things to flash, and only send to ram when you actually need the program or data.
I understand. With tilp, how can I choose where to send?
I think with TILP there's a "Variables" section, and then an "App/Archive" section. The "Variables" is RAM, "App/Archive" is flash.
Thanks. I have tried to send to specific locations, but it seems that .8xk files are auto-sent to flash and .8xp files are sent to RAM. Thanks everyone Smile
editheraven wrote:
Thanks. I have tried to send to specific locations, but it seems that .8xk files are auto-sent to flash and .8xp files are sent to RAM. Thanks everyone Smile
.8xk files, or Apps, do indeed have to go into Flash. There's no way to put them in RAM. However, .8xp files (programs) can go in either Flash or RAM, and shells like Doors CS can run them from Flash or RAM.
Thanks.

le : I have noticed that if i hit with my fingers a little harder where battery place is, the calc shuts down. It's normal? Or it may be something wrong inside?
editheraven wrote:
Thanks.

le : I have noticed that if i hit with my fingers a little harder where battery place is, the calc shuts down. It's normal? Or it may be something wrong inside?
Check that your batteries aren't loose or something. That's not normal behavior.
They are not. If i shake my calc, nothing happens. I saw on the pictures, that the MB receives the batteries powers through metal clips. Can it be that at some shock, that metal clips disconnect from the MB for a while?
whacking my touch pad hard enough on my laptop causes it to turn off and back on, but probably because the hard drive is positioned underneath the touch pad. I really doubt that that is the case with your TI, but im also sure that isn't natural behavior. even my calc doesn't reset when I whack it.

my best opinion: loose capacitor? or one at least barely connected?

My best advice: stop hitting your calc. you probably shouldn't have to hit it that hard, anyway.

regarding your edit: maybe. that would likely be easyer to fix, too.
Ok. Sadly my torx tools are not slim enough to get in the screw-holes of my TI. I think I may leave it like this for a while.

Le : I solved it. The contacts that connects to the Motherboard were loose. The metal pads were also dirt.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours