Okay, I live in the middle of nowhere and am stuck with dial-up. I want to download a 186mb OS but don't have the time. I'll be going to my Aunt's house tomorrow, and she has broadband, so I'm thinking about dling there. I was just wondering how long this would take on an average DSL connection. Also, would DLing straight to a usb flash drive slow it down any?
First off, get Leetchget. This will speed up the dl time by about 20 times or so (depending on the connection). On my broadband connection (which is slower than any normal broadband connection because I am on a wireless router) it would take around 5 minutes with LeetchGet. Downloading to a flash drive shouldn't slow it down at all, but you can always download it to the harddrive and then move it to the flash drive.
186 MB on DSL might take 15 minutes.
Yeah, that sounds about right. I can get that in less than a minute at school, thanks to the power of dual T3s. Smile
Chipmaster wrote:
First off, get Leetchget. This will speed up the dl time by about 20 times or so (depending on the connection). On my broadband connection (which is slower than any normal broadband connection because I am on a wireless router) it would take around 5 minutes with LeetchGet. Downloading to a flash drive shouldn't slow it down at all, but you can always download it to the harddrive and then move it to the flash drive.

Leetchget won't make you download faster if the server can max your line with just one connection, and even if the server can't max the line, you will never hit anywhere near 20 times normal, maybe 1.2x to 2x or so for a poor to crappy server, not much more

wireless won't slow your internet down at all, but could potentially add a 5-10ms delay (for things like games where ping time is more important than bandwidth). Think about it, 802.11b gives you 11mbit, even taking into account any overhead, this is still vastly larger to the fastest of home DSL speeds (fastest i've seen for residential is 6.0mbit, with the average at about 1.5mbit to 3mbit)

a 186mb file will take anywhere from 60 minutes to 8 minutes depending on her DSL speed (my guess would be its a 1.5mbit line, which would take 16 minutes or so to download the file)
speaking of this, Comcast cable (I have it) sucks, do not get it. It seems to be down half the time and the speed is never dependable.
In NYC we have Verizon, which tends to be fairly good.
yeah, isn't verizon the only non-baby bell to offer Land lines?

my father works for SBC/ATT (or ma bell) and now they are getting ready to acquire another baby bell. btw, SBC bought ATT and kept ATT name for recognition
Gah, I was busy all day and never got a chance... Oh well, I'll get it sometime.
And thanks for the information!
we have Green Mountain Access. its 1.5mbit download/512kbit upload

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours