I found an old project I was working on.
I used to be really into z80 Assembly and stuff, and I started to write a little RPG.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jc3uKzHHNXbkhwUFpNa3RYT1U/edit?usp=sharing
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jc3uKzHHNXMkx5Y240YXcxajQ/edit?usp=sharing

Source:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4jc3uKzHHNXVmZXanVYWk1HVHc/edit?usp=sharing

There are two files.
The game itself is ZRPG. I coded it in z80 Assembly.
Then there's a file called RUNZRPG.
This is a TI-BASIC file that is used to launch the game. It also provides a random seed for the game and displays the menu.

I never completely finished it, there was one error left at the end I never got around to correcting. Basically, if the Dragon at the end--the last boss--takes a ridiculous amount of health when you only have a little bit left, your health will roll over and you'll have max health again.

I also never added a "how-to-play" option in the main menu, so you may be a bit confused. I know it says "V1.0" in the main menu, but that's what I planned to call it when I released it. I didn't release it yet.

I might get around to fixing these errors, but not at the moment.

How to Play

▪ To start up the game, run the RUNZRPG TI-BASIC file. Not the Assembly file.
▪ In the top-right corner of the screen, you will see a circle surrounded by three lines: one to the north, one to the south, and one to the west. These represent the walls around you. Since there is one to the north, south, and west, that means the only direction that you can walk is east. Press right on the d-pad to walk east.
▪ If you walk enough, you will encounter random battle sequences. You will notice this because a black veil will go over the screen.
▪ Use the left and right arrow keys to change between "attack", "mheal", and "run".
▪ You can change from "mheal" to "mattk" by pressing up on the d-pad, and vice-versa.
▪ Press the MODE button to execute the selected action. The selected action is the one in all caps.
▪ At the top-right of your screen, there is a circle. That circle is your potion. You only have one in the entire game. Use it by pressing DEL.
▪ ATTACK attacks the enemy with your regular sword.
▪ MATTK uses a magic attack. It requires 10MP.
▪ MHEAL heals you. It requires 5MP.
▪ RUN only works some of the times and is used to escape battles. Only use this in major emergencies, or else you'll just waste health.
▪ There are three floors. You gain health and MP every time you go up a floor.
▪ Enemies on higher floors are more difficult but they provide more EXP.
▪ Leveling up heals you, restores MP, and increases your ATTACK and MATTK strength.
▪ At the end of the three floors, you fight the Dragon. The Dragon is possible to beat.

Yeah, so that's basically it.
Also, I designed a level editor.

If you want to change the layout of the individual floors, you can.
The code I used for each individual floor was so inefficient that I decided to create a floor editor that generates it for me.

You can get the floor editor in the source file. It was coded in JavaScript.

The floor editor is a bit strange, mainly because I did not design it to distribute it, but I designed it to allow me to develop floors quicker.

Basically, you click once to create a wall. You click twice to create a space that the player can walk on, meaning, a floor. You click three times you create a space that represents the stairs to the next floor.

You then take the code and replace one of the "floor#.inc" files with that code. Each floor is in its own separate file. The boss and title screen also have their own separate file. There actually isn't a title screen. That was something I removed because the file size was getting too large.

Anyways, all in the all, the RPG really isn't that spectacular.
But I was only like 14 when I wrote this. So cut me a little bit of slack.

Tell me what you guys think, and I may do something else.

Everything for this game I wrote from scratch.
Hey amihart, its always exciting to see old projects released into the wild after many years.

I must say i have quickly tried out and its pretty sweet, i like the attack animation with the sword Smile. Unfortunately I succumb to a skeleton after running out of heals!

Do you plan on doing any more calc coding?
tr1p1ea wrote:
Hey amihart, its always exciting to see old projects released into the wild after many years.

I must say i have quickly tried out and its pretty sweet, i like the attack animation with the sword Smile. Unfortunately I succumb to a skeleton after running out of heals!

Gain levels before going up to the next floor.
If you just run up to the next floor, you'll die.

Quote:
Do you plan on doing any more calc coding?

Yes, probably. Not sure of what, though.
I tried it and liked it pretty well! Only, I couldn't tell what that odd sprite thingy was that goes up the screen, and I thought that HP should regenerate itself slowly, like in NetHack.
CalebHansberry wrote:
I tried it and liked it pretty well! Only, I couldn't tell what that odd sprite thingy was that goes up the screen, and I thought that HP should regenerate itself slowly, like in NetHack.

That's supposed to be a sword. o.O
If HP regenerated itself, then there would be no challenge. You could just stand still long enough after every battle and always have max health.
Firstly- okay Smile Secondly - [MODE] rests, doesn't it? And you can get attacked while resting, right? So there would then be no guarantee you could just stand still. As the case stands, the chance of getting through very far is extremely low, because technically, your HP (including healing) is limited and will be gone eventually, barring simply randomly getting attacked much less than is common.
CalebHansberry wrote:
Firstly- okay Smile Secondly - [MODE] rests, doesn't it? And you can get attacked while resting, right? So there would then be no guarantee you could just stand still. As the case stands, the chance of getting through very far is extremely low, because technically, your HP (including healing) is limited and will be gone eventually, barring simply randomly getting attacked much less than is common.

Hmm. Well, I've beaten it before. It's difficult, but it's not hard to at least get to the last boss once you figure the game out.

Like I said, I'm not going to make changes to it right now.
I did upload the source code, if anyone cares to make edits to it.
You should also consider zipping up the .8x* files with a brief README and submitting to the Cemetech Archives, if you think that might be appropriate. Smile
KermMartian wrote:
You should also consider zipping up the .8x* files with a brief README and submitting to the Cemetech Archives, if you think that might be appropriate. Smile

Alright. I can do that.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours