huge potential now that we have high pixel color touch screens
Yup Farmville/RunEscape on-clac will rul3z0r!1 W00T!
DJ_O wrote:
Yup Farmville/RunEscape on-clac will rul3z0r!1 W00T!
Don't feed the trolls, DJ_O. Razz

AMDCPUs, lack of capitalization, punctuation, sentence structure, or much in the way of coherent thought notwithstanding, I think I get what you're trying to ask. Yes, while I made Gossamer v1.0, a web browser for the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus, there's a lot of potential for a browser on the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. On the other hand, a browser is novelty software. Having proven that a browser is possible on the TI-83 Plus/TI-84 Plus, I don't feel like there's much interesting in porting Gossamer or any other browser to the TI-84 Plus C Silver Edition. On the other hand, with the power and touchscreen of the HP Prime, it might be interesting to try and port some semi-modern browser over.
The better bet on the Prime may be to port a J2ME environment, then run Opera Mini.

The Prime's fast for a calculator, but modern websites demand a lot from a processor, and the Prime doesn't exactly have much processor - the CPU is in the ballpark of dumbphones, really.

Alternately, port NetSurf. But, NetSurf is pretty cut down.
I think it might be able to run midori okay, maybe. Midori can run most websites fine, but it's also pretty lightweight. Also, any open source browser will work on the nspire's linux, but it is slow.
Yeah seriously the issue about the 84+CSE is the 15 MHz processor and 128 KB of RAM. Granted, Kerm could probably port Gossamer and add image support, but in order to get around memory limitations, he would need to only load image chunks that are visible on the screen and even then, perhaps some type of images+compression combos wouldn't be possible. With images it would definitively be very slow too. If such browser happen, I think it will just be a mere port of Gossamer with only text support.
"high pixel color touch screens" to me seems to refer to the HP Prime/Prizm/Nspire and the like, not the TI-83+CSE.
Prizm and Nspire don't have touch screens.
The fx-CP400 has a touch screen, but the rest of its hardware and software totally sucks.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours