1) What exactly is a sprite and why are they 8x8, 16x16, or 32x32?
2) zeldaking: collision detection?
3) From ticalc.com, can i see the basic codes?

If one of you is an asm programmer, can you make graphics for my pokemon (signs, some people, and some pokemon) and store them to catalog? I need the hex code because i dont have a usb cord. Thanks!
A sprite is pretty much a character in a game.
Several sprites give the illusion of movement.
For instance:

Each of the stills is a sprite
Oh where to start..

Those are the standard sprite sizes used in most games. They don't HAVE to be that way, it's just a standard.

Collision detection means having characters/objects not moving through other characters/objects

You can download programs from ticalc.org and use sourcecoder or TokenIDE to view the code.

For your sprite issue, you can use TokenIDE to create sprites and get the hex from, though you'll need to create a displayer or get a cord to send one to your calc. Pokemon is a huge game. I was working on the battle system and I had over 110KB in size of the game code, and I was probably only 15% done?
With 2, zeldaking said hed help withh collision detection...
I now have a new list of questions to ask, and any help is appreciated.

1: What's the difference between
Code:
If:Then
and
Code:
If
:Then
?
2: Why can't a label be three characters?
3: How do you make a program faster/smaller?
4: Is there a max number of labels you can use?
5: What's the difference between Input and Prompt?
6: What are the dimensions of a TI-84 screen (in pixels)? Is there a trick to remember this or is it something you just know?
7: How long have you been programming?
8: What's harder: ASM or Axe?
9: How do you gain levels?
10: If I write a program on SourceCoder, can I take screenshots and upload it to the archives?

Nothing, they take the same amount of bytes.

just how the parser is set up.

You optimize, learn tricks, read Kerm's book.

Lbl 0 through theta, Lbl 00 through thetatheta

Input allows you to display a small amount of text before asking for the answer, Prompt allows you to have several variables input at a time, like Prompt A,B,C,D

64x94

Since 98ish

ASM, though it depends on your learning abilities.

What levels?

You save the project and dump that project over to jstified, once you have a usable ROM image from a calculator you own, to make your screenshots.
1. Nothing functionally
2. Because that's how it was made
3. Various optimizations: http://tibasicdev.wikidot.com/optimize
4. I think it's just 37*2 -- If you're using that many, you really need to rethink your design.
5. Input lets you put a string to output, prompt doesn't. Experiment with them to find out
6. 96x64 no trick.
7. About 13 years
8. Asm
9. Levels in what?
10. Um, no, but you can save it as an 8xp, put it in a zip file with a readme and upload it.
9) Levels on the website.
You get levels by posting more. However, 'quality over quantity' rules at Cemetech.
Sprites are generally multiples of 8 in size -- at least in older games and games on dated hardware -- for many reasons. There are 8 bits in a byte; 8x8, 16x16, 32x32 are powers of 2 and multiples of 8, making for easy calculations; screen dimensions are often in multiples of 8. Working with powers of 2 is extremely efficient in many cases, especially on TI8x hardware, for example.

As for levels on the site, I'm pretty sure that just about nobody cares about those to any extent, really
New question: How do you put grayscale on a calculator? Is it an app, program (if so, asm, axe, or basic)?
It's a routine coded in z80 (ASM and/or App) and Axe too. You can take advantage of available libraries or work up to z80 programming.
Grayscale isn't put onto the calculator. It already is there in a sense. Grayscale generally is made by flipping pixels on and off creating a mashup of the on (black) pixel and off (white) pixel which creates the gray.
Coding one depends entirely on the language; with axe being fairly easy, asm (don't ask me I have no idea), or basic (very limited quantities if any).
So in reality it isn't a prrogram that needs to be on the calculator to run, but perhaps a program takes advantage of it and uses grayscale.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours