I've been on this subject personally for just about two years. During the time I've been wanting to get a DSLR of mine converted to infrared. By the end of this month the first half of this dream will be true! I plan to purchase a complimentary Canon T1i to the one I have now. I'd opt for a Canon T2i or T3i, but I'm not a huge fan of high megapixels - I'm even irked by the 15MP's on the T1i - and, most importantly, the batteries will be the same as my current DSLR.

I'm selling my older DSLR (a Canon Digital Kiss X, XTi/400D Equivalent) with all it's accessories and packaging and the money from a wedding will help pay for everything including conversion.

The company that I'm purchasing the conversion through, LifePixel, does allow camera's straight for online purchases to be sent to their place of business so it can be converted prior to arriving at their door. While I like the idea, this conversion voids the manufacture warranty. So, I plan to use the camera for a few days or weeks to ensure there are no defects with the mechanics (Shutter, mainly).

The IR wavelength I plan to capture is actually different than the wavelength I've been capturing. I've been using 720nm Filters, I plan to get a 590nm filter. Since the filter will be placed in front of the sensor, opposed to the lens like I do now, the capture times will be similar to normal cameras. I'm tired of 45 second to five minute photos!

I'm also buying another EyeFi card to go with it - I'm in love with wireless photo uploads from the camera! No later than March we'll see some infrared portraits and candid photos around Smile This isn't really a "My Project" I suppose; I'll have a real project topic popping up in the next few weeks though!
I think you want to purchase a complementary one; a complimentary one would be free. Smile I'm curious why you wouldn't use the older camera you already have for the conversion; is it more expensive than the new camera you would be getting?
KermMartian wrote:
I think you want to purchase a complementary one; a complimentary one would be free. Smile I'm curious why you wouldn't use the older camera you already have for the conversion; is it more expensive than the new camera you would be getting?

I was never aware of the other word, I thought the word I used had dual meaning. Ha. We got a genius over here!

I thought about converting my old DSLR, but these things are only rated to about 50,000 pictures, I've taken at least 30,000 pictures with it and see no reason to invest a $300 to get it converted. I had another camera, again rated to 50,000 pictures, and went well past 70,000 before selling it. It would likely live through out it's life after conversion. But I get all giddy when I think of infrared video (which my old DSLR doesn't do). Not to mention the improved sensor and processor, but I'm not as concerned as I should be about that.
So, about six months later I've picked this up again.

I got my second DSLR back and have decided to keep it as a back-up for my T1i. I'll be converting a T2i I picked up on clearance for $340, originally 700, at Target. Over the course of a few months I'll purchase the filter required for the conversion. It's 180$ but I can let the company who offers the filter do the conversion for me at 250$. I think it'd be cool to do it myself but I'll see when the time comes.
Super awesome 1 year bump. Finally ordered the service. I'm going to let them do it because there are some things I just don't trust my hands with. I'll ship it out tomorrow and will be sent back to me in roughly 10 business days later. So, in 20 days I should have my T2i back!

Of course, pictures upon it's return!

(I was spurred to pick this up again after a picnic in the park with friends and I was able to take some IR photos again. I fell in love with the results - as usual - and since my credit card had a balance of zero, I went with it.)

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours