I am not going to make any promises on this project, either, but it has been on the backburner for a few years after I lost my original code and progress. A few weeks ago, I started the project from scratch again and I made some progress, but this will probably end up back on the back-burner for a while as I cycle through my other projects Razz

Here is the premise (copy-pasta'd from the ClrHome Upcoming page Razz ) :
------
Pokemon Amber is neither a clone, nor a port of a Pokemon game. It takes place 100 million years in the past, before Fossil Pokemon went extinct. After doing much research into ancient Pokemon, it is realised that we don't know the habitats of most Fossil Pokemon and there is some ambiguity in their types. What was the Pokemon world like 100 million years ago? What other Pokemon existed that have not been discovered? How have they adapted through time? These questions and more will play a key role in the development of Pokemon Amber.

Note: This game is not endorsed by Nintendo or any other Pokemon-affiliated organisation. This is just a game being developed by a fan purely for the enjoyment of others. There will be some creative liberties taken.
------
I have been finally putting thought into the storyline and how to incorporate common elements from the games. My plan is to involve Team Rocket from the second generation games. After thwarting their plans at the Lake of Rage, they take Bill hostage after he has opened up his time capsule for trading with the first generation games. They go back in time to try to gather powerful ancient Pokemon and you, being the best trainer in Kanto and Johto (this is post-Elite Four stuff), chase after them, along with other concerned citizens of the Pokemon world (including Kurt, nurses and others that just want to go back in time). Because of the restrictions on the time capsule none of your pokemon or items can go back that far in time, so you start from scratch.

While Bill is trying to fix the time machine, you are trying to prevent Team Rocket from wreaking havok on the planet as they gather more and more powerful Pokemon.
------
Those are the details that I have so far and I have a bunch of other surprises and special guests lined up ^^. There is one person in particular that has appeared in several shows and games in a minor role that will play an important role in this game Razz

My progress so far is basically summed up in this screenshot:

deeph who is working on the Pokemon Monochrome project (along with chickendude) offered to let me use sprites and so far I have made use of their wonderful player sprites. I also took some ideas for the buildings.

The engine I made is interrupt based, so interrupts control it all. The animations, the tilemap drawing, key presses, LCD updating, and a few other tasks. I am also coding this to run at 6MHz, but yesterday I added in the ability for players to toggle 15MHz/6MHz. Because much of the game is handled by the interrupts, animation speed is about the same regardless of the clock speed, but the player moves a lot faster. Also, since much of the game relies on the interrupt tasks, there are plenty of halt instructions which should help keep the battery draw down.

As you can also see from the screenshot, the menu system is basically complete (that was one of the first things I did, followed by the tilemap). I spent a long time working on optimising the tilemap routine and other drawing commands and at one point I had to rewrite every single graphics routine (I changed the buffer setup to be vertically aligned instead of horizontally, so the text routines, rectangle routines, tilemapping, and everything else had to be rewritten). Right now, the whole interrupt routine runs at about 140 000 cycles at worst case which is a bit more than ideal, but that is the worst case when the tiles change to a new animation frame, the tilemap gets redrawn, and the LCD gets updated, the keys are polled and debounced, events are cycled through and event tiles are drawn, and more, so I think 140 000 isn't too bad Razz

This is an example where I pressed + to set the CPU to 15MHz (and toggled it back with -) :

Lat night I started progress on the event system for warp tiles, doors, items, trees, movable boulders, and all that good stuff. Later I will dot he NPCs, though I have the system worked out.
This looks amazing, and I dig the new story. I will definitely be following this.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours