I've been looking for some desktop computers on the Best Buy website to replace my current laptop, which has an Intel i3 processor, 3 GB of RAM, and Intel HD graphics chip, which can run games like Starmade and Minecraft, but only on short render distance, and in Starmade, whenever I'm near a planet or space station, I get 3 or less FPS. Here's a computer I found on the Best Buy website: http://bit.ly/16S0WJ4
Would this computer run these games better (or the same as) my current computer? I've heard that desktops generally run cooler and faster than laptops. (Overheating is also a bit of a problem with my laptop.)
It won't be much better, in my opinion. You're still missing a graphics card. The 4GB's of RAM, 3.0GHz CPU and the 7200 RPM are the great things I see. It doesn't list the core or CPU type (i.e. i3, i5, i7) and the cores but it's at least dual core.

Desktops run cooler because there's more than one fan and a lot more room inside for the air to flow, but it doesn't mean they don't pump out hot air.

I recommend saving up for 8GB's of RAM and a graphics card. You won't need anything amazing to run Starmade & Minecraft so a $70 graphics card will suffice, maybe you can go cheaper. First, find out if they even support graphics cards. If they don't, the CPU and upgraded RAM(?) will help more than a graphics card. Though, I feel, upgrading the RAM may be negligible.

Update: This is your processor which, I think, may be a Haswell which includes the HD5000 integrated graphics. You should get decent frame rates on games like Minecraft & Starmade. I don't know if it's an i7 or not, though but it is dual core.
I suggested that if building his own desktop is out of the question he could take a look at some of the refurbished models on Newegg, such as this Gateway i3-based PC with 6GB RAM (upgradable to 16GB over the Dell's 8GB) and 1TB storage. You'd still be dealing with Intel graphics, but at least it'll be easier to find a cheap card to fit in the case unlike trying to cram something into the Dell's single half-height slot.
I'm debating on either the Gateway or the Dell. I am going to a used computer sale tomorrow, but I don't know if there will be any good ones there. comicIDIOT: You're talking about the Dell, right? If I can get decent speed on Minecraft and Starmade, that will be nice.
Spyro543 wrote:
comicIDIOT: You're talking about the Dell, right? If I can get decent speed on Minecraft and Starmade, that will be nice.

I was talking about the computer you posted, whichever that is; there wasn't any other computer mentioned or linked to until after my post. Which, I have no context of but it appears to have happened in IRC while I wasn't around.

(Looking back at my post, I have some and missed words and massive errors in grammar. So, I'll go fix that.)
Spyro: Can you consider selling the current one?
I could sell my current computer, but I don't really know where. I suppose I could sell it on Amazon or eBay, but I don't think it would ever get sold there (at least, in some reasonable time). By the way, I have a Samsung r540 laptop. Apparently used ones are sold for $375 on Amazon. Mine is in good condition, and I could probably sell it for something like $320.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours