I plan on getting this computer later this summer, and I want to know what the general community thinks of it. Anything I should change? Am I getting enough "bang for my buck?"

Code:

[u]System Details:[/u]

Keyboard:
Microsoft® Basic 600

Mouse:
Logitech® Optical

Surge Protector:
APC® Performance SurgeArrest

Chassis:
Z87 Talon - Standard Black

Chassis Fan Kit:
Quiet Fan Pack - Talon

Power Supply:
SilverStone® 500 Watt

Motherboard:
Asus® Z87 Plus

Processor:
Intel® Core™ i5 4570 3.2GHz

Processor Cooler:
Intel® HeatSink/Fan

Processor Overclock:
No Processor Overclock

Memory:
1866MHz 2x4GB (8GB)

Video Card:
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 650 1GB

Monitor:
Asus® 21.5" 1920x1080

Sound Card:
On-Board Audio

Speakers:
Logitech® Z-313 2.1

Networking:
On-Board Ethernet

RAID:
RAID 1 - Automatic HDD Backup

Hard Drive:
Western Digital® Black™ 1TB

Hard Drive 2:
Western Digital® Black™ 1TB

Optical Drive:
Asus® 16x DVD Writer

64-Bit Operating System:
Microsoft® Windows 8 Standard

USB Rescue Drive:
USB Rescue Drive

System Documentation:
Falcon Northwest Manual

Warranty:
1 Year Warranty - Talon

Shipping options

UPS Ground : $124.64
UPS 2-Day : $323.95
UPS Overnight : $501.60
USPS (APO Only) : $475.00
UPS 3 DAY : $190.00

Total System Price: $1938.90

P.S. I'm getting this computer from falcon-nw.com

EDIT: Formatting
The formatting is incredibly hard to follow. I went through the systems and you seem to be getting the Falcon Talon. Have you thought about upping your PSU? You can get a 750 for just 65 dollars more and you'll have a bit more wiggle room for upgrading.

From configuring the computer on my own, it seems you got the lowest selections they offered you. I have no idea if these are the cheapest parts or if they are all "high-end." If you already have a monitor and keyboard/mouse you can save some money there and upgrade something that matters.

One thing concerned me, it doesn't have WiFi. It's only ethernet. You can buy a WiFi USB dongle but I recommend an actual wireless card. There's nothing wrong with Ethernet (heck, my computer is hardwired) but unless you have the cable (or infrastructure) to run it as far as you need it, you're better off with WiFi. I have a pair of Powerline adapters that allows me to be a great distance from my router (the powerline adapters have a limit of 300', I think but I'm no where near that distance). They'll very likely lower your bandwidth (the ones I linked you to only go as fast as 500mb/s) but you're really not going to cap out the system unless you have Fiber.

Those aren't the powerline adapters I have, so I can't speak to how good they are but powerline adapters in a basic, widespread network are quite useful in my opinion. I have one connected up to a network hub which then connects my PS3, 360 and my computer to the one adapter (and it's only "rated" to support one device) and I haven't had any bottlenecks while downloading a game DLC and streaming Netflix on two or three devices.
comic, Ethernet offers much higher throughput and reliability than WiFi if he already has it available for desktops, and if he doesn't, then I'd far prefer he run Ethernet cabling than use powerline adapters, personally. Anyway, the first thing that jumps out about the build is that you have two identical HDDs in RAID 1. That's decent enough, but I think you're better off spending the money on a 128GB or 256GB SSD for your boot device, and keeping one 1TB HDD for your data storage. You should definitely still have a backup solution, but you can worry about that later. I also see nothing about a dedicated graphics card, which is a problem if you plan to do any gaming on the machine.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours