Hello all, I am wondering if anyone has any good advice on what I'm might be jumping into. I want to make a wiki/forum/archive dedicated to a show. I want it to have a more modern look. I have hosting covered (as I own servers.) I have some technical questions like what framework/database should I use? Apache or Nginx or something else? Do I need a Database? If anyone could help with advice or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Smile
Usually you'd incorporate some pre-existing wiki software like Mediawiki, or do you mean to create it from scratch?

Currently I am creating a web server of my own, which is entirely self-contained (it's only a basic HTTP server). Said server would then be behind Apache, nginx or lighttpd running as a reverse proxy. This way it doesn't matter which of the three you choose.

The database question is also fun. I always found the idea of using git to store wiki content interesting, but the go-to would be to use something relational, as MediaWiki does.
I would rather not create something completely from scratch. I will take a look at it. It sounds like what I should use. I will probably use ngnix as I have experience with it. I've never really worked with databases and I've always found a way to code whatever I need in php or js. I don't think I can work around using a database for this. I'd rather it not be jankey and get the experience. Thanks for the info. Are there ways to automate filtering content uploaded by users?
Then you will need to choose some wiki software beforehand, which will dictate which database you'll use. Most only support a few.

I cannot say anything as to filtering.
Yeah I think I've decided to use mediawiki on Debian, with mysql, and Apache with php. It will be a learning curve but I need the experience. I read the mediawiki documentation and it looks pretty easy and straightforward. Thanks for the help.

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 1
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours