Well, finally got an idea for a physics game. To the best of my knowledge, there are no games with a similar idea. Anyway, my game is called Launcher and will be made in Axe. The idea is that you are stuck on a planet with belligerent aliens. You need to run around each planet gathering fuel so that your ship can have enough energy to reach escape velocity. Plus, each planet has different gravity, meaning that jumping can be easier or harder. I might be using the zedd libraries but I don't know yet.
Sounds cool! You'll of course have to let the player solve the equations for things like escape velocity and teach them about the tyranny of the rocket equation, unless you have alternative ideas for the educational side of it.
didn't think about that! I was thinking about giving the player information about the rocket and forcing them to do the calculations
EDIT: I just finished making all the sprites (Thank you TokenIDE) and am now working on the level design.
EDIT2: I was just wondering if I could put that this program was made for the cemetech contest in my title screen.
I don't see why not.
Newest title screen.

I got rid of the rocket because it is going to be movable so you can select start or help.
comicIDIOT wrote:
I don't see why not.
Indeed, that's not only not discouraged, but is strongly encouraged, I'd say. "Cemetech Contest #10" somewhere in the title screen seems quite reasonable to me. Also, I'm glad you're diving into working on this with such abandon.
well, when I get back on my computer, ill give out my sprites so my fans (I know you are out there) can oogle over them while im gone on a sleep away camp this week (no computers or calculators allowed, ugh). It will be fun but Launcher will be put on temporary hold.
EDIT: Here is the only sprite.
The spaceship

EDIT: There is now only one sprite because the scope of the game has changed from a platformer to a space world, the aliens and main character are no longer needed.
I had a game like this on my iPod, I forget what it is called hmm. Although it was simply a game and didn't teach anything.
It sounds like a fun great idea, good luck!
Nice sprites, ordelore, thanks for sharing. See you in a week, I suppose; be sure to bring pen and paper for brainstorming your idea!
Well then, I decided to change the scope of the game from getting fuel to 'planet hopping' to get from planet to planet. Gravity will be a HUGE factor. Also, the weight of the spaceship will change as an amount of fuel that is contained. I changed the scope because I couldn't figure out how to make the level design. After rereading the rubric, I have decided to also add sound to the program (Success, failure, and launching).
Great news!
The actual coding has begun! Now it is just a matter of putting the equations in. Here's where im getting my equations from:http://physics.info/equations/
*bump*
Well, im planning for a more beta-ish release for the contest because I will be going away for two weeks starting Wednesday and my dad wants me to relax so that means two weeks of not working on Launcher. See you when I get back!
ordelore wrote:
*bump*
Well, im planning for a more beta-ish release for the contest because I will be going away for two weeks starting Wednesday and my dad wants me to relax so that means two weeks of not working on Launcher. See you when I get back!
See you! See if you can't at least spend some of that time planning what you'll code when you get back, though.
Well, greetings from Puerto Rico! Unfortunately, previously scheduled vacations have forced me to downscale the scope of Launcher into a beta release. On the other hand, i figured out how to implement a floated point program for Axe.

Opening sequence! Buggy I know, but I'm working on it.
Great! I hope that you're able to get a significant fraction of it done by Wednesday, of course.
Todays progress is going along at a steady pace but there is a single in the coding that I can't fix no matter what I do so it is possible that the entry will not be finished by the deadline.
ordelore wrote:
Todays progress is going along at a steady pace but there is a single in the coding that I can't fix no matter what I do so it is possible that the entry will not be finished by the deadline.
Even if you can't solve the bug, you should be sure to document and submit your entry anyway, especially if the bug doesn't completely break your game. You can't win if you don't enter.
sent in the source to contest and contests emails of cemetech.net

edited by comic: removed e-mail links to limit spam.
You zipped it up and included a readme and a compiled game too, right?

Register to Join the Conversation
Have your own thoughts to add to this or any other topic? Want to ask a question, offer a suggestion, share your own programs and projects, upload a file to the file archives, get help with calculator and computer programming, or simply chat with like-minded coders and tech and calculator enthusiasts via the site-wide AJAX SAX widget? Registration for a free Cemetech account only takes a minute.

» Go to Registration page
Page 1 of 2
» All times are UTC - 5 Hours